Blacks and Sports -- Lifeline or Noose?

Bear-Arms

Mentor
It offers some good points but then goes into the typical fashion sports writers spiral down towards.
------------------------
Blacks and Sports -- Lifeline or Noose?
For years, a debate has raged over whether too many young African Americans count on becoming pro athletes. Now the argument has taken a new twist.

The first warnings that overinvolvement in sports was damaging the black community sounded from the Bay Area in the 1960s, a time and place that nurtured the unconventional and revolutionary.

The warning appeared in the unlikely 6-foot-8-inch form of Harry Edwards, himself an athlete who had grown up idolizing Jesse Owens and Joe Louis in impoverished East St. Louis, Illinois.

Edwards was so grounded in sports that his first store-bought toy was a pair of boxing gloves, which his father presented to him as if it were a trust fund. He told his son that, for a black man in America, sports was the only path to success and respectability.

``As a child, I believed in the dream as deeply as my father did,'' says Edwards, the UC Berkeley sports sociologist and 49ers consultant.

But by early adulthood, Edwards was calling for blacks to boycott the 1968 Olympics. He argued that the blind pursuit of sports was undermining black achievement. It was gobbling up thousands of talented young men who might otherwise have become lawyers and entrepreneurs.

Edwards offended blacks and whites alike by dismissing the rosy view that, because blacks and whites cooperated on the playing fields, sports was some sort of race-relations beacon that would show the way for the rest of society.

Others have since echoed the call for de-emphasizing sports in the black community, most recently John Hoberman in his thought-provoking 1997 book, ``Darwin's Athletes: How Sport Has Damaged Black America and Preserved the Myth of Race.'' And the documentary ``Hoop Dreams'' several years ago captured the fervor with which impoverished black families cling to the unrealistic hope of athletic success to the exclusion of almost all other pursuits.

The dream has persisted because it seems so attainable. In newspapers and on TV, black families see more success stories in sports than in any other field. Blacks make up 80 percent of the team rosters in the National Basketball Association and nearly 70 percent in the National Football League. Blacks have won 41 percent of baseball's Most Valuable Player titles over the last 25 years, although blacks account for just 17 percent of the players. At the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, blacks won 13 of America's 14 gold medals in men's track and field. (Shotputter Randy Barnes was the only white gold medalist.)

Not surprisingly, a recent study by Northeastern's Center for the Study of Sport in Society found that 66 percent of African American males between the ages of 13 and 16 believed they could earn a living playing professional sports, more than double the percentage of white males. But the real odds of a high school athlete playing in any pro sport is 10,000 to 1. Playing in the NBA is a 50,000-to-1 shot.

Yet as the warnings Edwards sounded 20 years ago find new life through Hoberman and others, Edwards himself has done an about- face. The question raised at sociology conferences around the country -- Do blacks lose by winning in sports? -- is now so irrelevant as to be absurd, Edwards says

The national landscape has changed, he says, and so has his outlook. ``Those who are calling for the de-emphasis of sports are behind the times or seriously misreading the facts of black life and reality,'' he says.

Crime, drugs, gangs, AIDS and violence are sending increasing numbers of young black men to America's jails and graveyards. Edwards contends that sports remains the one hook that can pull at least some back from the abyss. The athletic dream, no matter how unrealistic, offers at least a ray of hope to an increasingly hopeless generation.

Thus, he argues, it no longer matters what price the black community pays for pursuing sports in such disproportionate numbers. The concern now is simply survival. If sports can help, as Edwards believes it can, then focusing on its drawbacks is like complaining about uncomfortable seating in a lifeboat.

``The issue is not: Are blacks paying a price? -- of course we are -- but: Are we paying a price we're conscious of?'' Edwards says. ``Are we dreaming with our eyes open? Other than those kinds of considerations, the question `Do blacks lose by winning in sports?' is absurd. What you're asking is, `Is life worth living?' Considering the option, hell, yes.''

Perhaps even more startling than Edwards' turnaround is his prediction that, just when he feels sports are needed most, black participation is now being restricted. Stiffer NCAA admission requirements -- without a concurrent improvement in high school academic preparation -- are keeping more and more black athletes out of college. Schools and governments are cutting youth sports programs to meet shrinking budgets. Inner-city playgrounds and recreation centers are falling into disrepair and increasingly becoming the province of gangs and drug dealers.

The Golden Age of the Black Athlete, which Edwards claims lasted from Jackie Robinson's arrival in baseball in 1947 until 1997, is over.

``We are, quite simply, disqualifying, jailing and burying an increasing number of our black potential football players, basketball players, baseball players and other prospective athletes,'' Edwards says, ``right along with our black potential lawyers, doctors and teachers.''

If the Golden Age of the Black Athlete is ending, the trend will be welcomed by those who contend that sports has done more harm than good to blacks in the United States. Hoberman, a white professor at the University of Texas at Austin, says that in the 1920s and '30s, the leaders of the NAACP and the Urban League encouraged participation in sports, believing that if blacks showed the white community they could excel, doors would open in other fields and racism would begin to crumble.

Instead, Hoberman and others say, the opposite has happened. Black athletic excellence has stymied race relations because it has allowed both whites and blacks to persuade themselves that society's racial problems are being solved. And it has reinforced myths, dating back to the days of slavery, that blacks are physically superior and intellectually inferior.

``Whites easily accommodated black athletic excellence, while dismissing the moral and intellectual capacities among the same group of people,'' Hoberman says. The observation hearkens back to W.E.B. DuBois's observation about ragtime music at the turn of the century: ``White folks are lynching the Negro while singing his songs.''

Edwards, however, says sports had nothing to do with reinforcing stereotypes in the white mind. ``Whites already perceived blacks to be limited intellectually, and athletics is simply the evidence,'' he says. ``If it were not athletics, it would be something else.''
Jamie Williams, the former 49ers tight end, earned his doctorate this spring in leadership at the University of San Francisco and recently took a job as an executive recruiter. Yet he still feels the apprehension from whites who perceive him, at least at first glance, as a large, possibly dangerous, black male.

``You see all these images of black men breaking four and five tackles, sacking the quarterback, slamming a tomahawk dunk over a 7-foot white guy. You see them every single day and you're left with the perception of the black athlete as a dominating being with a blood lust for violence,'' Williams says.

``I see it even today with me. It's all subtle. I'll be introduced to a guy, and he'll say, `Oh, you could crush me,' or `You're not going to kill me if I say this, are you?' ''

Even within the 49ers, as enlightened an organization as there is in the NFL, black players have felt that stereotypes of the dumb black jock sometimes prevailed. Williams recalled, as an example, a meeting with all the players on offense. An assistant coach was going through the game plan and accepting suggestions from the players.

``Two black players said something to the coach,'' Williams says, ``and he just dismissed the suggestions. One of our star black players made a suggestion and the coach even wrote him off. A few minutes later, a white player says almost the same exact thing and the coach goes, `Oh, that's a great idea.' Then another white player makes another suggestion and coach says, `Yeah, we'll try that.'

``I went up to him afterward and said, `You're about to have a revolt on your hands.' And to the coach's credit, he came back a few days later and said we were right. He said he had to do better.''
Joe Morgan, the Hall of Fame second baseman from Oakland who retired in 1984, ran into similar stereotypes when he applied for a bank loan to finance his own company, a beverage distributorship in the East Bay. He found that the equality he enjoyed on the field ended at the clubhouse door.

``I had to have about 50 percent of the money myself, and they still balked,'' Morgan said. ``First, I was an athlete. Second, I was a black athlete. I had to really call the banks on the carpet and threaten them. They told me they had had bad experiences with athletes before -- they wouldn't say black athletes. But I've got a friend in sports who's white, and he's gone bankrupt twice and still had no problem getting another loan.''

Morgan acknowledges that overemphasis on sports has hurt the black community but, like Edwards, he doesn't believe blacks have consciously chosen sports over other avenues. If you're trapped in a room and there's only one hatch open to the outside, you go through it, he says.

Sports was seen as the one place where a black man was allowed dominance over a white man, the one place that was a true meritocracy. Prejudice had no power over a stopwatch or a home run. It was not a natural ability that earned blacks a disproportionate number of athletic honors in the United States, Morgan and others say, but a lack of other choices and an institutional channeling toward that single pursuit.

``How many libraries are in the inner cities?'' Morgan asks. ``And how many basketball courts? I don't think there's any doubt that sports has hurt in a way, but in some cases, it's been the only recourse.''

Former A's pitcher Dave Stewart agrees. ``If athletics is what we're going to be good at,'' he told Sports Illustrated, ``and the one thing we can be the majority at, the one thing in which we can set up our businesses and families and pass (the wealth) on -- so be it. Right now, it's sports, but we're seeing a lot more black people in government, more black doctors, more black lawyers. You've got to begin somewhere.''

Clearly, mixed in with the damage that sports has done to the black community, there has been progress. White kids today make little or no distinction between black and white in choosing their favorite players. Posters of Michael Jordan and 49ers wide receiver Jerry Rice adorn walls of white and black children alike. But the question raised with such hope when Jackie Robinson and Joe Louis emerged as cross- cultural heroes remains today:

When and how will the white society that so admires Michael Jordan learn to be as color-blind beyond the playing field?
[url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/ar chive/1998/09/20/SC73016.DTL&type=special [/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Very interesting article BearArms. It still mainly sidesteps the issues that we discuss here, but it does touch on a few, namely the institutional guiding of blacks and a lack of choices. I wonder if the glory days of the black athlete really ended in 1997 though. Why cut it off that year? I seriously doubt the accuracy of that date.

speedster

Mentor
Stiffer admission requirements,that's a good thing,keeps at least some of the thugs out.Inter-city playgrounds and recreation centres are falling into disrepair.Whose fault is that,whitey's.

White_Savage

Mentor
Boy, this article has me steamed.

"When and how will the white society that so admires Michael Jordan learn to be as color-blind beyond the playing field?"

This is the oft repeated lie that allows *******-supremacism to be pushed on us by our hidden masters. Every black failure, they would have us believe, is caused by curiously invisible white racism, excepting sports, which is somehow a pure meritocracy sans corruption.

This couldn't be more wrong, more diametrically opposed to the real facts-That every institution and popular attitude in our society is positively pro-black (and anti-white), that despite having every advantage government and media can give them, the only area where blacks can rise to equal or exceed the white man are extremely limited niches in athletics.

"Over all stands the Aryan barbarian, white-skinned, cold-eyed, dominant, the
supreme fighting man of earth." - Robert E. Howard

Edited by: White_Savage

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well put, WS. But don't forget one that Brutal mentioned -- reggae singing!
smiley36.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Very interesting article BearArms. It still mainly sidesteps the issues that we discuss here, but it does touch on a few, namely the institutional guiding of blacks and a lack of choices. I wonder if the glory days of the black athlete really ended in 1997 though. Why cut it off that year? I seriously doubt the accuracy of that date.

The article is from 1998 thats why
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point Bear Arms, but still, why would they say it ended then. I would argue that it is still going on in basketball and football at least, despite what it happening in the other sports.

Good points White_Savage. We as Americans have never moved beyond the civil rights movement. If the press were to admit that we have, then they wouldn't be able to write articles like this.

The Caste Systemhurts White athletes but it DESTROYS Black society!!!

It's not too much of a stretch to go from "Hey blacks are good at sports." To "Well them damn negroes got to be good at something..." To "All blacks are good for is 100 yards a game."

The net result of this is an endless stream of young black men who have been taught nothing but sports in high school, were pimped out to some big college and then tossed aside like a piece of garbage in favor of the next chunk of "Black Gold"

The Caste system must be destroyed for the good of all people regardless of colour, Even the Blacks who seem to gain from the system at first glance must pay the piper in the end and only a fool would think the cost is worth it.

White_Savage

Mentor
TWM:
The Bill Cosby stance eh?

He's probably being overly-optimistic with his "If we studied to be doctors as hard as we studied basketball" analogy, but hell, the black community once did have less problems, less illegitamacy, less crime, back when they really were oppressed to an extent by the white man. So anythings possible.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree guys, but the Caste System does hurt whites more than blacks. Look at how it has affected white society. It has definitely become weaker, as you guys have pointed out in other threads. Black society has become that much more aggressive towards whites. I think if blacks tried, they could do better as far as jobs and things like that, but most black churches turned into politically active jokes with no preaching against sin, the growth of the welfare state, and the cultural revolution of the 60's have made most blacks satisfied to live off everyone else's tax money. Until this attitude is changed, I don't think you will see any improvements within black society.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The system lives in fear of the day that inner city kids put down their basketballs and takes a serious look at their lives and directs their anger elsewhere.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, jaxvid, that's part of the problem too. We must pacify them or risk having burned out cities.

surfsider

Guru
If one finds one's self unable to gain admittance to a system of education that offers claptrap such as a doctorate in "leadership" then maybe another path in life should be considered. Harry Edwards is one of the cadre of blacks that make handsome livings reporting on the injustices that blacks unceasingly endure at the hands of "society". Ta Waki Mumba, is right, I think, in believing that blacks as a whole suffer more from caste thinking than whites but fellows like Edwards should be making that argument with reasoning that is based on more than "blame whitey".
Here in KC there are plenty enough libraries in the inner city but as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but..."

Bart

Hall of Famer
[QUOTE Here in KC there are plenty enough libraries in the inner city but as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but..."[/QUOTE]

The( ersatz) comedian Chris Rockwas quoted as saying " A book to a Negro is like kryptonite to Superman." Funny or not it is the truth.

Well, he didn't use the word Negro but I'm trying to be nice.Edited by: Bart