Bjan on Baseball

bjan

Bjan on Baseball: The new franchise in Washingtion D.C. is shaping up in an interesting fashion.Frank Robinson will manage,and so far they have signed,Vinnie Castilla,Chistian Guzman, and "troubled outfielder" Jose Guillen.They will be called "The Washington Nationals".Pittsburgh Pirate catching prospect,J.R.House had a solid outing in the Arizona Fall League batting .347 with two homers,11 RBI and a 411 on base percentage while catching 15 games.If he can stay healthy,and continues to improve,look for the Pirates to try to move Jason Kendall.Also, The New York Mets have signed pitcher Kris Benson to $22.5 million,three year contract. It contains a $2.5 million signing bonus.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
There were some funny moments in the naming of the franchise. At first they wanted to call them the "Greys" after the Homestead Greys of the Negro Leagues, but the Negro team played most of its games in Pittsburgh so they dropped that idea. Selig wanted Senators again but the mayor of Washington vetoed that because the city of Washington doesn't have any real Senators in Congress. This has been an issue if you remember for while, Jesse Jackson was lobbying for Statehood for Washington DC so he could become a senator. Thankfully that has not happened yet. You wonder how a 2-time loser of franchises could be granted another.

bjan

The transformation of the New York Mets continues: Omar Minaya hires Willie Randolph as manager,who in turn
brings to the coaching staff,
Jerry Manuel 1st.Base
Sandy Alomar Bench Coach
Manny Acta 3rd base coach,

Guy Conti will coach the bullpen,and Rick Peterson returns as pitching coach.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
bjan, thanks for the baseball updates. You mentioned the Pirates catching prospect J. R. House doing so well in the Arizona Fall League. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an article about the Pirates catching situation this morning by Robert Dvorchak, now that Jason Kendall is all but officially traded to Oakland.

He dismisses House's chances of being the starting catcher in 2005 in a single sentence: "J. R. House. . . saw limited duty with the Pirates but lacks the arm strength needed to be a full-time catcher, according to some scouts." That's the only time House is mentioned in the article.

House was one of the most heavily recruited high school quarterbacks in this region in many years. He was torn between whether to pursue a pro career in football or baseball, eventually choosing baseball. But now he lacks the arm strength to throw a baseball from home plate to second base??? Unbelieveable!

bjan

Don,no surprise to read in Pittsburgh Tribune Review that Umberto Cota will be the man behind the plate in 05
As T.V. cameras embraced Oliver Perez at every opportunity "even when he was not pitching" Pirate broadcasters gushed about how he wanted Cota to be his battery mate.You are also correct about Quarterback arm strength,anyone considered to play quarterback either at the college or pro level can make the throw to second base better than most active catchers in baseball today.The bias against House is hypocrisy that is not unfamiliar to us at this site.Sadly,it can often derail a players career before it gets started.

bjan

The Pittsburgh Pirates have not put a contending club on the field in 12 seasons, and I feel that 2005 will be no different.With that in mind, I have been going over the list of available free agents,and would like to offer my opinion on a team makeover.
1st Base:Greg Colbrun
2nd Base:Mark Grudzielanek
S.S Retain Jack Wilson
3Rd Base:Troy Glaus***
Left Field:John Mabry
Ctr Field:Retain Jason Bay
Right Field:Ben Grieve
Catcher:Mike Matheny
Starting pitching looks O.K. but I would replace relief pitchers with,Paul Byrd,Jaret Wright, and Jeff Zimmerman
The Managerial Replacement would be Art Howe "home town guy" A change in this direction would bring me "back to the ballpark"!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Grieve's an interesting guy. He was widely predicted to be a superstar, even by the anti-white media. He had some decent years, but the last couple of seasons he's been lousy. He's only 28, maybe he can still resurrect his career in Pittsburgh or somewhere else.

Other than that, I am appalled by your prospective team's lack of diversity! Don't you know diversity is our country's strength!?!
smiley17.gif

bjan

The Pitsburgh Tribune Review reports that Milton Bradley is in trouble again.He was charged with interfering with a traffic stop near Akron.If convicted,he could be sentenced to 30 days in jail,and fined $250.

Ex Pittsburgh manager Gene Lamont will take over as manager of the Philadelphia Phillies' Triple-A affiliate,the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for all of the great updates bjan.One of the latest rumors which probably will happen is that Randy
Johnson is headed to the Yankees.Can you imagine a
American League Championship Series Final with the Sox
and Schilling vs the Yanks with Johnson in game 7!Man
would that be exciting.

bjan

I do agree White lightning,two of the best white pitchers to ever take the mound! Not real good news for another up and coming white catcher in our area.As reported here,The fine catching prospect J.R.House will possibly be buried in the Pirate minor league system,and covered over with a tremendous amount of BIAS!and DISCRIMINATION!.....

"Johnson could fill Kendall's void",screamed the headline of the "pittsburgh Tribune Review" sports section on Thursday Dec.2nd 04.
Yes,the Pirates are considering adding Charles Johnson to the team to be the #1 catcher.
Never mind that hit .236 last year with Colorado,and is the victim of diminishing defensive skills.He will also command a salary that should not be paid! As in many other facets of life here in Pittsburgh,Pa.,sports is no exception,"Social Engineering",rules.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
bjan, you must be writing satire now. Johnson a starting catcher? LOL It might be the best thing that could happen to House. Johnson will not be able to hold down a starting job.

You may not have been around this site a few months ago when I offered my all-black, all-hispanic, and all-white all-star teams. Johnson was the only US born black catcher I could find that got any kind of playing time in MLB. I also wondered why. Blacks once had a pretty proud tradition at the catcher position. Campanella, Howard, Roseboro, not to mention Josh Gibson. Who was the last All-star quality black catcher? Elrod Hendricks?

bjan

As stated here before, I have some interest in the new baseball franchise in Washington D.C. I have been in touch some D.C.sports writers,and I am trying to come up with the final players lineup of the old Washington Senators team. I suspect it will be quite different from the new club.

Senator John McCain is demanding immediate action by baseball officials on the steroid scandal!He feels this issue must be addressed to restore "the integrity of the game".

Florida free agent pitcher, Carl Pavano met with New York Yankees officials and "Reggie Jackson" over the weekend.To discuss a possible contract with the team.

bjan

Free Agent Signings
Tony Womack Cardinals/Yankees
Jaret Wright Braves/Yankees
Jon Leiber Yankees/Phillies
Kenny Lofton Yankees/Phillies
Al Leiter Mets/Marlins
Woody Williams Cardinals/Padres
Dustin Hermanson Giants/White Sox
Matt Mantei Diamondbacks/Red Sox
Troy Glaus Angels/Diamondbacks
......to be continued!

JD074

Master
If Richie Sexson stays with the Dbacks, he and
Glaus could be a great one-two punch. They both
could've had 40-45 homers last year had they stayed
healthy. Maybe even a few more. No surprise that
Anaheim didn't try to re-sign either Percival or Glaus.
Let's see how many of the remaining white players
are given contract extensions or re-signed when they
become free agents....

JD074

Master
Jeff Kent is going to the Dodgers. That's somewhat
surprising given their second base/ shortstop
tandem (Izturis and somebody else) is considered
the best in the league, defensively speaking. I
wonder if they'll move him to third.

bjan

Free agents continued.......
Jeff Kent Astros/Dodgers
Steve Finley Dodgers/Angels
Russ Ortiz Braves/Diamondbacks
Richard Hildalgo Mets/Rangers
David Wells Padres/Red Sox
Matt Laughton Indians/Pirates
Stay tuned.......

bjan

Carl Pavano has signed with the Yankees!
It looks as if white catching
prospect J.R. House will be
buried by the Pirates. The team
has ended its attempts to sign
Charles Johnson,and instead is
going after 40 yr old Benito

Santiago!

I guess they just do not want me
as a fan!.........

bjan

Look for the Milwaukee Brewers to be "transformed".The franchise in D.C. may not happen,But if it does,it will look something like this 1st base:Will Cordero 2nd:? 3rd Vinnie Castilla :ss Christian Guzeman outfield: J.J. Davis and Jose Guillen. Pitchers and catchers undecided,but I'm pretty sure J.R.House will not be behind the Plate! Frank Robinson will manage.

bjan

Jason Kendall betrayed......
Well,So much for Billy Beane being everything to everyone!Jason Kendall made it known how happy he was with the trade that sent him to the Oakland A's.It was not only the fact that he was going home to California,but he was also going to get a chance to handle the fine pitching staff of Hudson,Mulder,and Zito!Well,Zito is the only one left,and I would not be surprised if he goes also!

bjan

Good to see Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg make it to the hall of fame. As I was taking in all of their statistics over the course of their fine careers, it struck me that these fine White players have also been victims of baseballs "Caste System"! They were spoken of a lot less then many black and latin players through the years.And of course Peter Gammons commented on ESPN that "Ryne Sandberg was no Joe Morgan,but who was.?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Was glad to see Boggs get in easily, as I had read columns by a couple of writers who thought him "unworthy" because of his lack of power (bet those same writers won't have any problem voting for Tony Gwynn). Boggs was only one of the very finest hitters in baseball history.

Sandberg is a worthy addition. Bruce Sutter, Goose Gossage and Bert Blyleven also should be in by now. It amazes me that Dale Murphy received just over 10 percent of the votes cast. He's a two-time MVP who had power and speed and was a great fielder. You can make an argument either way on whether Murphy should be in the Hall, but he should be getting way more than 54 votes.

sunshine

Mentor
Overall I think the Hall Of Fame is letting in too many players. Examples:Kirby Puckett, Phil Rizzuto, Don Sutton etc etc. Sorry. I actually think Jim Rice was a better player than Boggs and especially Sandberg. That said I think I can live with Boggs in. I am pretty strict. I thought Molitor belonged but not Robin Yount.I do agree Gossage and Sutter and maybe Jack Morris are deserving. Not sold on Blyleven. Murphy just misses for me due to Mattingly syndrome--one of top players in game during prime but did not last long enough. Same holds true for Strawberry. It is fun discuss this stuff because nearly everyone disagrees about certain players and their merits.

Current pitchers who I think are locks are Pedro, Randy Johnson, Clemens, Maddox, Rivera and if they hang good for a few more years Glavine and Mussina. Am I leaving anyone out? Smoltz?Right now I am on fence with Glavine and Mussina needs to prove himself for a few more years.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think the baseball Hall of Fame has been diluted not from the players elected by the Baseball Writers Association of America but by all the ones who have gotten in through special committees (e.g. the Negro Leagues inductees) and the Veterans Committee. Only 102 of the 260 members of the Hall have been voted in by the BBWAA, which is ridiculous to me.

When it started out the Veterans Committee was looking at players whose careers ended well before the Hall of Fame began inducting players in the mid-'30s. That was the right thing to do. But now, all it does is elect players who were rejected all 15 years they were initially eligible by the writers who covered them, who were the best to judge their careers.

I was happy when Bill Mazeroski got in a couple of years ago thanks to the Veterans Committee, but I also don't think it was appropriate. He was scrutinized for 15 years beginning five years after his retirement and his credentials were found wanting. That's the way it should have remained. This year, the Veterans Committee may elect Tony Oliva or Ron Santo or others. Sorry, your time for eligibility is up, it's too late now. You had excellent careers but they weren't quite Hall of Fame caliber. It's long past time to disband this anachronism.

bjan

It appears as though Carlos Beltran will go to the Mets.This team has added quite a bit of firepower to its lineup,with new pitching and position players.It remains to be seen if the administration in place has the ability to get these players to perform!