Big Ten 12th Team?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I love the idea too. It would make the Big Ten simpler, they'd split the Big 10 into East and West Divisions, I'd assume, with 6 teams per division. If they wanted to "promote" a team, maybe Central Michigan?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
what would they call the conference? even negroes know that 12 don' be 10, yo! well, most of them do.
smiley2.gif

How about getting rid of one of the teams so there's actually ten?

Also, who wants more split conferences and conference championship games? That has to be one of the worst trends in college football these days. Ok, it's a distant second worst to the anti-White racism, but still annoying.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
what would they call the conference? even negroes know that 12 don' be 10, yo! well, most of them do.
smiley2.gif
Nobody seemed to notice that the conference is still the "Big 10" now, even though it isn't. Maybe having a conference that goes to "11" is a sly tip of the hat to "This is Spinal Tap", but that would be far too deep for most of the melanin-enhanced primary affletes.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
There's a lotta talk about this issue in my parts. They idea is that they want a conference championship game because the Big 10 is idle for like three weeks before most other conferences. Also because it's a money maker and hopefully will enhance the conference champ.

I don't like the idea because I'm against any kind of change whatsover unless it's changing BACK to the way things are supposed to be. Another team makes it even longer for each school to play some of the other schools. For example Michigan plays Notre Dame more then several Big 10 schools, that are supposed to be in their conference! It would also mess up the rival games that are so important to college football. UM plays Ohio State, Michigan State, and Penn State, every year, with the UM/OSU game the final one of the season. Granted lately that game hasn't meant much but for several decades it was THE GAME and with a conference championship it would mean a lot less.

Still I think it will go through, because as always its all about the money.

Candidates are Notre Dame-the most obvious, a good academic and geographic, as well as football/basketball match. Notre Dame already plays several Big Ten teams each year, Purdue, Indiana, MSU and UM (they have a 20 year contract!). Notre Dame has refused to join before because they have had a lucrative contract in which they get ALL of the money for BCS bowl appearances (instead of splitting it up with the conference like the other Big Ten teams do). However I think that they get a reduced amount now, although they still get a big chunk of money for their TV contract.

Notre Dame is at a low ebb now and if they think they won't get the big $$$$ at the next contract they might join, but with a new coach coming in the Irish faithfull will probably be drinking the green kool-aid for another cycle.

Next most likely is Pitt. Pitt is a good fit, they are actually closer to the rest of the Big ten then Penn State. They are a good academic school with decent football/basketball.

Syracuse has been talked about for years. Syracuse has been down a bit but still is a fairly decent geographic/academic/athletic fit.

Cincinnati is high on the list now with their recent great season. Their basketball has also been good. I hear the big sticking point is that OSU doesn't want someone that close to them pimping their action.

Missouri is considered a front runner. Missouri would fit in with Iowa and the Illionis schools as a good rival. Missouri is popular because it has two big markets all to itself, St. Louis and Kansas City. Missouri may not want to move to the Big 10 but with the Big ten down and them probably getting the weaker western teams as division rivals they might be lured.

I see Jack Lambert mentioned CMU which I have been saying to people but I have not heard that from anyone else. CMU may not be big enough. I think picking off one of the MAC teams is a good idea but it will always be about the money.

foreverfree

Mentor
FootballDad,
my familiarity with Spinal Tap consists of watching their guest turn on "The Simpsons" in 1992 when they played Springfield. I don't get the Spinal Tap reference re the Big "Ten" misnomer.

jaxvid,
the St. Louis and KC metropolitan areas straddle state lines. St. Louis borders Illinois, the home state of the Illini (although Champaign is 182 miles from the Mound City per my 2009 Rand-McNally). Downtown KC (MO) is about 40 miles from Lawrence, KS, home of the Jayhawks. You mean to tell us that support for UI/KU is negligible on the non-Missouri sides of those respective metro areas? You mean there are Illiniwek backers in Granite City or Jayhawk-ophiles in Olathe?

John

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
foreverfree said:
jaxvid,
the St. Louis and KC metropolitan areas straddle state lines. St. Louis borders Illinois, the home state of the Illini (although Champaign is 182 miles from the Mound City per my 2009 Rand-McNally). Downtown KC (MO) is about 40 miles from Lawrence, KS, home of the Jayhawks. You mean to tell us that support for UI/KU is negligible on the non-Missouri sides of those respective metro areas? You mean there are Illiniwek backers in Granite City or Jayhawk-ophiles in Olathe?

John

The talking heads I heard on the subject of Missouri were where I heard that Missouri had good representation in two big metro areas. I think St. Louis people are going to support Missouri instead of Illini 182 miles away and Kansas City I don't know but the city is in Missouri, not Kansas. But you're right the Kansas-Missouri rivalry was mentioned as a big thing. Maybe some Missourians can weigh in on the issue?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Yes, the KU-Mizzou "Border War" is a big game in KC, since the city is pretty much divided in support for either team. As mentioned in an earlier post, Lawrence is a short 40 mile trek from KC, while UM, located in Columbia, is 120 or so miles East. The last couple of years, and for the next few, the game is played in a neutral site, Arrowhead Stadium.

jaxvid said:
I think St. Louis people are going to support Missouri instead of Illini 182 miles away and Kansas City I don't know but the city is in Missouri, not Kansas. But you're right the Kansas-Missouri rivalry was mentioned as a big thing. Maybe some Missourians can weigh in on the issue?

There are TWO Kansas Cities, one in Missouri and one in Kansas. They are across the river from each other! The one in Missouri is bigger though. This is a similar situation to Texarkana Texas and Arkansas, and Bristol Tennessee and Virginia.

foreverfree

Mentor
FootballDad, we the unenlightened are still waiting for you explain the Big 10 name misnomer/Spinal Tap analogy.

John

Bronk

Mentor
But this conference goes to ELEVEN! Yeah, but only ten of 'em are big.

Mizzou would be most likely. I doubt Notre Dame would join since they have their own TV agreement. They might take a school like Pitt, maybe even UConn or Syracuse.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Icompletely left Central Michigan out of the picture but the more i think about it the more I think they could be a good fit football wise, for basketball I don't think their program is very strong. Personally i'd like to see Cincy orCentral Michigan.