Aussie Open hits stride

sunshine

Mentor
Today at 2 Lleyton Hewitt will play James Blake( who is black)on tape delay. Understand it was a hell of a match with Hewitt taking it. Place wasin a complete frenzy according to reports. Must see or tape it folks.Most of top seeds have made it into third round. I believe Davenport plays a 15 year old wonder Nicole Vaidisova. One other note--bogus drug rumor regarding US Open champ Svetlana Kuznetsova. She is CLEAN> Period. And caught some Federer. The guy is mind boggling.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
In second round action Roger Federer took on a game Takao Suzuki . Suzuki employed a little bit of everything, chip and charge, some Michael Chang like gets, and serves to the body. The good thing was that he pressed Roger and we got to see some of the deadly shots Roger is capable of pulling off. One of the more crowd pleasing moments occurred when Suzuki angled a volley for what seemingly was a winner, and Roger chased it down far outside the doubles line and hit it around the net post. The ball never traveled more than several inches off the ground and landed in the sideline by mere millimeters.

It was a fine effort from Suzuki but in the end it was Roger doing what he does best and taking the spirited match 6-3,6-4,6-4.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Marat Safin played some tremendous tennis and beat Roger 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6, 9-7. Did not get to see all of the match, but it was a beauty from what I saw. Roger was able to save six match points, and I believe Marat saved one. You have to handed to Marat, he was able to force the issue with some terrific play and pinpoint groundstroking on certain occasions. Roger's play was definitely nothing to sneeze at, hec, that's what makes the match a classic. He could have been just a touch off at times, but when you play with as much precision as he does, it's surprising it does not happen more often.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a great tournament thus far with several outstanding matches. Marat played to his utmost, which is what it takes for a top player to beat Federer right now. I'm going to try to watch both the men's and women's finals. What's great about tennis too, like White Lightning said, is that the gals are enjoyable to watch, and there are a fair number of nice looking ones, unlike golf and basketball.

sunshine

Mentor
Tennis is the best sport for women hands down. Even back in the early days it was understood itwas well suited for women.Anyway the tournament is verging on fantastic at this point. For me the happiest ending would have bulldog Hewitt win the final. Then we can watch Australia celebrate like CRAZY! Tough road though. Safin is very formidable. And the likely favorite. Go Lleyton or as he puts itCOME OOONNNNN!!
smiley1.gif

Quiet Speed

Mentor
On women's tennis: A player sadly missed is Justine Henin-Hardenne. She probably has the best game, a classic game that would be suited for any era. She has a nice one-handed backhand that a lot of people would kill for. Hope she can come back and regain her form.Edited by: Quiet Speed