ATH/CB Caleb Lucas

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

once again we see that no matter what attributes a white kid has, they aren't enough. i want to hit something.

johnnyboy

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

once again we see that no matter what attributes a white kid has, they aren't enough. i want to hit something.

i agree. this kid is strong and fast. i have nothing but respect for the academies but let's face it, this kid got hosed. sucks.

Mike

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

You don't know the whole story, and neither do I. You can do a lot worse than picking a program which has gone to six consecutive bowl games...

johnnyboy

Guru
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

You don't know the whole story, and neither do I. You can do a lot worse than picking a program which has gone to six consecutive bowl games...

...you can also do A LOT better which is why Jimmy is frustrated, i think. the truth is, nowadays, a white guy that wants to play D1 has two options, 1. walkon at his fav school and pay to play (more like pay to practice) or 2. sign up for a military commitment to play at an academy. nothing wrong with either option but i would like to see white athletes have some more choices and options.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
johnnyboy said:
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

...you can also do A LOT better which is why Jimmy is frustrated, i think. the truth is, nowadays, a white guy that wants to play D1 has two options, 1. walkon at his fav school and pay to play (more like pay to practice) or 2. sign up for a military commitment to play at an academy. nothing wrong with either option but i would like to see white athletes have some more choices and options.

johnnyboy is right. while in a way it is great that he gets to play for the Naval Academy, in another way it is a huge slap in the face to someone with his physical ability to play at what is considered a lower-level school.

he has measurables that are comparable to/superior to blacks that play for big time programs. his talent merits a shot to get to play with the "big boys." that's all i'm saying.

furthermore, if he does turn out to be an NFL-caliber player, playing at a service academy will potentially cost him millions of dollars due to the military commitment required and NFL teams' reluctance to draft such players in the higher rounds (see current potential NFL-draft pick Eric Kettani, or numerous former players).

Mike

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
johnnyboy said:
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

johnnyboy is right. while in a way it is great that he gets to play for the Naval Academy, in another way it is a huge slap in the face to someone with his physical ability to play at what is considered a lower-level school.

he has measurables that are comparable to/superior to blacks that play for big time programs. his talent merits a shot to get to play with the "big boys." that's all i'm saying.

furthermore, if he does turn out to be an NFL-caliber player, playing at a service academy will potentially cost him millions of dollars due to the military commitment required and NFL teams' reluctance to draft such players in the higher rounds (see current potential NFL-draft pick Eric Kettani, or numerous former players).

Kettani had offers from several BCS programs as a blocking-type back or linebacker coming out of hih school even though he was a tailback. He would have never had the oppertunity to show of his true talents it it was not for the type of ofense Navy runs. So don't knock the oppertunity. And not all of these young men are after millions of dollars, although I won't speak for Lucas or Kettani.

johnnyboy said:

Johnnyboy, I understand your frustration. I think though that we should be cautious about making exagerations of the current situation. Obviously a white guy that wants to play D1 does have more than the two options you listed. I know you were doing this to highlight the fact that white athletes get not even half of the Division 1 FBS scholarships available. I worry about those types oof statements, because they can have the effect of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

We really need to examine how the white players that do get scholarships to D-1 FBS schools do it, and have a resource where other white players can learn to do this from the time they are a freshman in high school.

johnnyboy

Guru
Electric Slide said:
johnnyboy said:

Johnnyboy, I understand your frustration. I think though that we should be cautious about making exagerations of the current situation. Obviously a white guy that wants to play D1 does have more than the two options you listed. I know you were doing this to highlight the fact that white athletes get not even half of the Division 1 FBS scholarships available. I worry about those types oof statements, because they can have the effect of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

We really need to examine how the white players that do get scholarships to D-1 FBS schools do it, and have a resource where other white players can learn to do this from the time they are a freshman in high school.

i should have wrote "white skill players." thats what i had in mind.

johnnyboy

Guru
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
johnnyboy said:
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

Kettani had offers from several BCS programs as a blocking-type back or linebacker coming out of hih school even though he was a tailback. He would have never had the oppertunity to show of his true talents it it was not for the type of ofense Navy runs. So don't knock the oppertunity. And not all of these young men are after millions of dollars, although I won't speak for Lucas or Kettani.

Jimmy isn't "knocking" the opportunity, the problem is you're overestimating the opportunity. this kid's "opportunity" consisted of exactly 3 offers. Elon and 2 academies offered. that is nothing compared to what he would have got if he were black.

yeah an offer is great and the academies are great and apple pie is great... but that doesn't take away from the fact that every year talented black skill players get myriad offers from top BCS schools to play skill positions and their talented white counterparts usually end up with with nothing but FCS offers, FBS "preferred" walk-on offers and the good ol' academies. and theirin lies the problem. the white kids get crumbs and the black kids get the whole pie. Edited by: johnnyboy

Mike

Guru
johnnyboy said:
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
johnnyboy said:
Mike said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Navy?!? i mean, c'mon!
smiley5.gif

Jimmy isn't "knocking" the opportunity, the problem is you're overestimating the opportunity. this kid's "opportunity" consisted of exactly 3 offers. Elon and 2 academies offered. that is nothing compared to what he would have got if he were black.

yeah an offer is great and the academies are great and apple pie is great... but that doesn't take away from the fact that every year talented black skill players get myriad offers from top BCS schools to play skill positions and their talented white counterparts usually end up with with nothing but FCS offers, FBS "preferred" walk-on offers and the good ol' academies. and theirin lies the problem. the white kids get crumbs and the black kids get the whole pie.

Why should I waste my time posting the commitments of these players when the only response here is for people to constantly bring up that comparison - which we all recognize and subscribe to anyway. You guys are beating a dead horse. Be happy for some of these kids and wish them well so that they can prove people wrong in the future. That will disprove the skeptics, not the typical "but the black kid..." whining that drags down each and every one of these threads.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good point Mike

johnnyboy

Guru
[/QUOTE]

Why should I waste my time posting the commitments of these players when the only response here is for people to constantly bring up that comparison - which we all recognize and subscribe to anyway. You guys are beating a dead horse. Be happy for some of these kids and wish them well so that they can prove people wrong in the future. That will disprove the skeptics, not the typical "but the black kid..." whining that drags down each and every one of these threads.[/QUOTE]

who asked you to post commitments? don't get ahead of yourself chief. this back and forth started when you corrected Jimmy for showing his frustration.

haha...wow dude you're right!! "whining" is bad. all we have to do is be happy for the kids and think positively and everything will be ok.
smiley36.gif

thanks for pointing out that we should be happy for these kids and wish them well.

look, i know that having a negative reaction by a poster everytime a white kid gets hosed can get a bit repetitive, but thats going to happen a lot. and thats bc white kids get hosed A LOT. as far as "disproving the skeptics", it will take more than white kids performing well, for them to change their minds. especially when these skeptics refuse to even acknowledge the racial disparity.Edited by: johnnyboy

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
And enough of the mutiple quotes!
smiley36.gif
Seriously though, expect anything when you start a thread, Mike. We share a collective abhorrenceof the Caste System, and it is natural that we react with disgust at times. I too am disappointed in the lack of opportunities that most white players get, but there is something to say for possibly starting at Navy in the future. The point is that this is another white player who is getting screwed and we can use this case as another example to prove our case and hopefully help our cause. I wish Caleb the best.

johnnyboy

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
And enough of the mutiple quotes!
smiley36.gif
Seriously though, expect anything when you start a thread, Mike. We share a collective abhorrence of the Caste System, and it is natural that we react with disgust at times. I too am disappointed in the lack of opportunities that most white players get, but there is something to say for possibly starting at Navy in the future. The point is that this is another white player who is getting screwed and we can use this case as another example to prove our case and hopefully help our cause. I wish Caleb the best.

Sorry about the multiples Reb. i keep hitting the quote button.

cheers.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Mike said:
Why should I waste my time posting the commitments of these players when the only response here is for people to constantly bring up that comparison - which we all recognize and subscribe to anyway. You guys are beating a dead horse. Be happy for some of these kids and wish them well so that they can prove people wrong in the future. That will disprove the skeptics, not the typical "but the black kid..." whining that drags down each and every one of these threads.

personally, i appreciate your posts, Mike. especially all the high school kids you find.

and i can understand where you're coming from, to a certain extent anyway. at least some of these guys are getting a scholarship somewhere, which is better than the alternative most of them get. i'm guessing you're a glass half-full kind of guy, which is to the good. most notably when so much of the information we unearth regarding white kids is negative.

keep up the good work. and don't let us cynics get you down.
smiley2.gif