Are schools obsolete?

C Darwin

Mentor
i've been teaching at an elite inner city public magnet school for the last six years, but i've also done some hard time in some of the lesser schools in my district. admissions at my current school are primarily based on the strength of the student's 8 grade teacher recommendations. so what we end up with is a wide array of academic ability, but for the most part, we do a good job of keeping out the douchebags.

there aren't too many students that i come across that are 'inspired' to learn, just compliant, polite and concerned about their academic record. i often ask my students why they come to school? they always reply "to learn". but i don't believe they know what it means to learn, or why they need to do it. it's almost like they're in a hypnotic state.

as far as physical appearance, i have a great concern regarding how white kids are carrying themselves. 'bieber' hairstyles, sagging skinny jeans, uninteresting tshirts. just a general prevalence of androgeny fashion. sometimes i'll talk to the white boys about the importance of having a sence of masculinity. they all agree that it's important, just not important enough to put forth an effort.

i think leaving school is fine for some, not such a great idea for others. in new york, students can't drop out for ged classes until they're 17. this is a non-issue for me, however the union likes to push the age up because it creates more teaching jobs.

and yes, if you ask any one of my biology students 'who is the general?' they will all say it's me.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
DixieDestroyer,

If the public school system were to end, what do you think should be put in its place? Or should nothing replace it? Those is the questions most people ask. They can't fathom the idea of there not being public schools. They think govt. should educate. I'm asking this because of my letter writing about this subject. I'm against public compulsorary education. I'm interested in all ideas.

Tom Iron...

Good question. Government schooling seems to have gone downwards every generation. I'd be for voluntary home schooling & private schools. I was blessed to go to a private, Christian school for most of my primary & secondary education. I largely attribute that to my HS grades (graduated w/ honors), SAT score & ability to gain acceptance into every college I applied for. I'm no fan of the modern government school.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Good morning DixieDestroyer,

The other night, I went to my local Board of Ed meeting. Mark Twain didn't like schools or Boards of Ed much, but I assure you, if he'd been to that meeting, he would have gone out of his mind. The level of idiocy displayed there was off the charts. Interestingly, if you'd just walked into that room and saw those people sitting around, you'd think they looked fine. they were more or less well dressed and well spoken, but it was the words they were putting together into sentences and phrases that gave them away as to some degree, both mentally unbalanced or stupid, or a combination thereof. It was truly amazing to watch and hear.

I just listened that night and didn't say anything (I'm still a bit taken aback at the level of stupidity displayed there), but in the future, I'm going to take them to task. The days of there nice little meetings are at an end.

I advise everyone on this site to go to your Board of Ed meetings. You will get a real eye opener into what's going on in the schools.

Tom Iron...