Are NFL starting caliber quarterbacks really that scarce ?

L

Lew

Over the past couple of days the sports media has been reacting to comments made by Seattle Seahawks' DT Michael Bennett. He basically said that quarterbacks are overpaid and that unlike other positions "mediocre" quarterbacks are paid top dollar. Here are some of his comments

Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid," Bennett told 710 ESPN's "Brock and Salk" program. "At every other position, you can't be mediocre. If I was (Miami's) Ryan Tannehill and the most games I ever won was seven, how could you get a $100 million for that? I guess that's the value of the position.
"And then it's like, you're sitting at home and there's breaking news and it says that Brian Hoyer is the quarterback of the Texans. I'm like, who cares? That's not breaking news. It's really not breaking news."
Bennett -- the rare gem in a landscape of warmed-over athlete-speak -- wasn't finished:
"There's some mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL that make a lot of money," Bennett said. "You take a guy like (Eagles passer) Sam Bradford -- he's never played really in the last three years, but he's made more money than most guys in the NFL."

He's been mostly criticized for his remarks and the consensus from the media is that average quarterbacks deserve to be highly paid because there are so few of them. There are only about 12-15 people in the world who can play quarterback in the NFL at a high level. Do you guys think that's true ? I think the perceived scarcity of good NFL quarterbacks is artificial . How many young White quarterbacks out there just spend their careers rotting on the bench and aren't even given a fair shot at developing into a good qb ? How many players with the ability to play qb in the NFL don't even get drafted ? Kirk Cousins, Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley, Tim Tebow, Mike Glennon, Johnny Manziel, Chandler Harnish, Jordan Lynch, Jimmy Clausen, Ryan Mallet, Matt Flynn, Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, etc the list can go on forever, do none of them have the ability to play quarterback in the NFL at a high level ?

I just find it hard to believe that there are only 12-15 people in the world who have the ability to be a franchise quarterback in today's NFL, and 3 of them are black btw. I think that Whites are discriminated against at the Qb position just like they are at most other positions.

Truth is, Bennett answers his own question when he ponders out loud, 'I guess that's the value of the position.'

For the most part I assume Bennett's commentary is related to his own situation, where he's currently working to get more $, and resents the pay scale as it is (ie-QBs typically on top). I think his criticism of Bradford was fair, the guy's had very little availability in his pro career. But my opinion, his critical assessment of Tannehill is wrong and sounds like sour grapes over pay scale, and may be racialized since he mentions all White guys, and conspicuously omits Griffin from his list. Tannehill is doing well w/a weak supporting cast.. improving every year. Also think part of this is the moronic I hate quarterbacks mentality of some defensive players. I occasionally listen to Mike & Mike on the radio, and Mike Golic is still routinely doing his I hate quarterbacks stand-up routine.

There are definitely more than a dozen dudes who can effectively run an NFL offense. It's just about getting opportunities.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Imo the qb position is becoming the next target of AA policies. Newton just got a huge contract and has a .500 win loss record - the definition of average. Meanwhile Gremlin is being propped up in DC by the weenie dwf owner and moronic dwfanbase while McCoy and Cousins waste away on the bench. The bills and jets both have bad black qbs - the verdict is out on whether Smiff will ever start for the jets again and it seems Cassell (who is an avg qb) has lost out to the mediocre Taylor or the downright bad Manuel. In San Francisco the toucan enjoys no competition although he is a one trick qb and now with the complement coach gone I suspect he will fall apart. Glennon gets screwed over in Tampa bay annually this time by aa bspn hype sexual assaulting jameez.

If Bennett wants to gripe about qb pay he should start with his qb because if I was a defensive player or lynch I would be pissed at the money Wilson is getting for being a glorified game manager who benefits from an admittedly strong defense and running game.

There are ****ty black players at every position who get paid way too much money and once they get paid they just tank it or they were terrible in the first place but given money because of the magical melanin induced upside.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Bennett's comments seem to imply that Ryan Tannehill is a mediocre quarterback. He is not. He is a franchise quarterback.

The party line on Tannehill is that he's average at best and still developing.

The mainstream media gives white players as little credit as possible because they're anti-white.

Tannehill17

Mentor
Bennett's comments seem to imply that Ryan Tannehill is a mediocre quarterback. He is not. He is a franchise quarterback.

The party line on Tannehill is that he's average at best and still developing.

The mainstream media gives white players as little credit as possible because they're anti-white.

These are the same type of people who sing Teddy Bridgewater's praises by claiming Minnesota got a steal when they drafted him at #32. Tannehill is a franchise QB. Bridgewater is a David Garrard-like game manager with his weak arm and dink and dunk mentality.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

another article whining about the qb situation in the NFL. The stuff these supposed personnel experts are saying shows how dense they really are. In the article Ray Farmer states that building an offensive scheme around a qb (he cites Nick Marshall who had to transfer to db) could be the way to go. Not sure if he wasn't paying attention but that doesn't work. The NFL offense needs to be run a certain way - there is a reason the spread option does not work.

There are plenty of college qbs who run pro style offenses and can translate to the NFL. This article seems more like a bitchfest by a bunch of likeminded dolts who all think a certain way. Qbs typically need to sit and develop - only certain ones come in and are successful right away. The issue is that teams don't have the foresight or patience to develop qbs properly. These morons are probably trying to lay the template for more rule changes to make the qb position easier to play than it already is (as had been illustrated by many prolific passing stats over the past 5 or 6 years).

PHillisFan

Master
These are the same type of people who sing Teddy Bridgewater's praises by claiming Minnesota got a steal when they drafted him at #32. Tannehill is a franchise QB. Bridgewater is a David Garrard-like game manager with his weak arm and dink and dunk mentality.

You are right. I expect Tannehill to have a breakout season this year and show everyone he can throw the deep ball.