Annual Owners Rule-Committee meetings

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
At this years meetings they approved moving the extra-point try back to the 15 yard line from the 2. This is now the new rule for the upcoming season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...tra-point-back-to-15-yard-line-002302250.html

I like the new rule, might make things a little more interesting, especially in bad weather. It's also good for a player like Tim Tebow who would have extra value for two-point conversions which will look more enticing.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I am surprised they didn't make more rules benefiting NFL offenses. The NFL knows the spread isn't working as they expected it to and with all these crappy black QBs running that offense in college the lack of competent QBs coming into the league is now a concerning issue for the long term health of the league. Everyone was making a big deal due to the low number of QBs drafted this year - It would be great to see the a ripple effect go back through college forcing more colleges to go back to pro style concepts.

Every article I have read since the draft about this topic is how in high school the coach just puts the best athlete at QB which really waters down what makes a QB - intelligence, poise, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism and typically a bigger stronger body frame. In high school and to some extent in college these option QBs will make the first read, work primarily in a short/intermediate passing game or run around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
FootballDad, I'm surprised this rule hasn't been implemented before now, and I agree with you that it will make things more interesting. I'll definitely pay more attention, just to see how it works out.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Every article I have read since the draft about this topic is how in high school the coach just puts the best athlete at QB which really waters down what makes a QB - intelligence, poise, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism and typically a bigger stronger body frame. In high school and to some extent in college these option QBs will make the first read, work primarily in a short/intermediate passing game or run around like a chicken with it's head cut off.
Even that is really not the case. Whites are still quarterback at a significant majority of high schools across the nation. And athletic white QBs run the spread/option better as well. Just pick a handful of states (except maybe FL) and you'll find that the vast majority of state championship winning teams were QB'd by crackas. The recruiting "services" are dialing in on anything black when it comes to QBs, and dual-threat is a color-first ranking. This is how we get Class 2 QBs like Tyrone Swoopes getting recruited by D1 universities. A white C2 player has virtually no shot.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Even that is really not the case. Whites are still quarterback at a significant majority of high schools across the nation. And athletic white QBs run the spread/option better as well. Just pick a handful of states (except maybe FL) and you'll find that the vast majority of state championship winning teams were QB'd by crackas. The recruiting "services" are dialing in on anything black when it comes to QBs, and dual-threat is a color-first ranking. This is how we get Class 2 QBs like Tyrone Swoopes getting recruited by D1 universities. A white C2 player has virtually no shot.

Good points. I only know what I see from the recruiting services side of things and what they are trying to do to blacken up the qb position.