Alex Smith

Yes there should be articles written whether Harbough made the right choice in going with Kapernick. Pro or Con articles would seem natural after the Superbowl.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Bwana Jim made a bad coaching decision when he replaced the 3rd highest rated quarterback in the league with a rookie starter yet he's been the recipient of endless praise for his dumb decision.

He cost his team a Super Bowl victory with his coaching mistake and the media praise can't change that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This crap doesn't surprise me in the least. Alex Smith has always been widely hated and was given only very grudging respect after playing so well in 2011 and 2012 before abruptly being benched.

From Weenieworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL Live Wednesday that the trade market for Alex Smith is "limited," and there is "not a large buzz" about Smith among quarterback-needy teams. Specifically, Smith going to the Browns is a "long shot," per Mortensen. The Jets can't afford his contract, the Cardinals are the 49ers' division opponent, and the Chiefs might explore Nick Foles or Geno Smith first. Anyone who's kept tabs on Smith the past two years won't be surprised. Smith was available in 2012 free agency, and only the 49ers and Dolphins showed much interest in him -- both after missing out on other quarterbacks. Smith's physical skill set is just borderline starting-caliber, and he was benched this past season. The 49ers won't get more than a mid- to late-round pick on the trade market.

Any team that needs a qb and does not give Smith a call are not serious about their team. I have to believe that their are still some true football people out there that want to win and are looking to improve their teams. Smith is a no-brainer. That absolute bum Vick just got a $10million contract and there's no place for Smith?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The biggest slap in the face is Vick will still be a starter next season after taking a pay cut. Yes, the same below average Vick who has been terrible in recent years and has been a below average quarterback his entire career. I thought Porky Reid was bad but this Chip Kelly takes the cake. Shows how easy you can be replaced in the NFL if you are white and now even at the quarterback position, one of the few positions in the NFL that whites are still allowed to play.

davidholly

Mentor
The biggest slap in the face is Vick will still be a starter next season after taking a pay cut. Yes, the same below average Vick who has been terrible in recent years and has been a below average quarterback his entire career. I thought Porky Reid was bad but this Chip Kelly takes the cake. Shows how easy you can be replaced in the NFL if you are white and now even at the quarterback position, one of the few positions in the NFL that whites are still allowed to play.

I think Andy Reid might start to use white QBs now though. He seems to have realized that blacks aren't the way to go after 14 years of failure.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I think Andy Reid might start to use white QBs now though. He seems to have realized that blacks aren't the way to go after 14 years of failure.

Don't be so sure, David Holly. Guess who owns the no. 1 pick in the upcoming draft? Porky the Pig and the Chiefs. Guess whose projected by most to be the first pick? Geno Smiff. It's highly likely given his track record that Reid drafts Smiff. That means another afflete will be starting at quarterback next year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Smith was traded to Kansas City for a second round draft pick in 2013 and a conditional third round pick in '14. Matt Cassel will be released. Good to see Alex land a starting job, I had my doubts that he would, but none of the QBs standing out at the Combine helped his cause a lot.

Phall

Master
Cutting-edge analysis from Walter Football:

Chiefs acquire QB Alex Smith from 49ers for 2nd-round and conditional mid-rounder
Jim Harbaugh is a genius. Alex Smith was considered to be a candidate for release when Harbaugh took over as head coach of the 49ers. However, Harbaugh claimed that he was a fan of Smith's when the Utah product entered the league. Harbaugh then coached him up and turned him into a solid starter. It was obvious though that Smith would never lead the 49ers to a Super Bowl because of his limitations. That's why Harbaugh made the obvious choice to go with Colin Kaepernick.

Well, it was obvious to everyone except the Chiefs. This is an absolutely terrible trade for them. Smith, without Harbaugh, is a pedestrian signal-caller at best. He'll regress without Harbaugh, just as Matt Cassel did when he lost Charlie Weis. Andy Reid has been good with quarterbacks, but he's no Harbaugh.

It's true that Kansas City didn't have many other options at quarterback, but Smith is just a short-term stop gap until Andy Reid acquires a legitimate franchise quarterback. With that in mind, why didn't the Chiefs just pursue Matt Moore in free agency? He's just as good as Smith and would have been much cheaper. More importantly, he wouldn't have cost Kansas City a valuable second-round draft pick.

Based on PFCentral's report, I gave the Chiefs a C when it was speculated they gave up a third-rounder for Smith. But a second this year and a mid-rounder next year? What a joke. Again Harbaugh deserves all of the credit for duping a team into thinking that Smith is a solid starter. He's not. Andy Reid must have lost his mind. The Chiefs will continue to struggle for a long time.

Grade for Chiefs - F
Grade for 49ers - A+

:juggle:

scroat

Guru
Everyone conveniently forgets that if it wasn't for his butter fingered punt returner dropping two punts san fran would have been in the super bowl two years ago.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I see the Chiefs have Tyler Shoemaker and Devon Wylie at receiver. It will be interesting to see if Reid will recognize their talent. Hopefully Smith will!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Everyone conveniently forgets that if it wasn't for his butter fingered punt returner dropping two punts san fran would have been in the super bowl two years ago.

Nothing in sports is more ridiculous then the pronostication of some 3rd rate sports writer who either says: 'A would never have done something' or 'B for sure would have done something'. If those guys were such great judges of talent then they could be making much more money as GMs, scouts, even gamblers. They are so frequently wrong about so much that it is pitiful they continue to make predictions, they are like drunks at a bar. No one should take them seriously.

Tannehill17

Mentor
As I said in the black QB thread. Andy Reid probably always preferred a white QB but the Eagles were always seen as a team that purely employed black quarterbacks, way before he even got there. You have to go back to the days of Ron Jaworski in 1984 as the last time the Eagles had an entrenched white QB.

PamelaOC

Banned
Was just thinking...

How many other Alex Smiths are there? How many will there be? By that I mean white quarterbacks who are stuck behind a black starter, so we never get a chance to see how good they are. Smith got the starting position he deserved on another team. How many players will not?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As the overall first pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, Smith has been a starter his entire pro career except when he suffered a concussion in 2012 and Kaepernick replaced him for the rest of that season even though Smith had been winning almost every game for San Fran in 2011 and '12.

Smith has been the rare White quarterback to be given a substantial amount of time to develop. He had a rotating door of offensive coordinators that partially accounted for his slow development, but he didn't become a really good quarterback until 2011 and had never thrown as many as 20 TDs in a season until last year's modest 23.

There are a lot of White quarterbacks who didn't (and don't) get much of an opportunity in the NFL, but Alex Smith isn't one of them.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Alex Smith has been a survivor in such an anti-white league. He came into a bad situation when drafted by the 49ers. His first coach was Mike Nolan who made disparaging remarks about white athletes and not wanting "lily white" players on his team. He also had a tumultuous relationship with Smith. Norv Turner did help his development early as Off Coordinator but then left for the Chargers job. The 49ers organization was a joke from Nolan to Singeltary. Martz wanted Shaun Hill or JT O'Sullivan over Smith and I remember the 49ers starting black quarterback Troy Smith for awhile under Singletary's tenure. Harubaugh did help Smith's deveopment but then screwed him over giving the QB job to Toucan Sam.

I am happy for his success in KC so far. I hope he has another strong year. Reid has always been a QB mentor and I wonder if he regrets putting so much stock into McNabb in Philly over the course of his career.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Alex Smith has been one of my favorites for years now. Hes been nothing but a solid winner, on talentless teams, and the media has never covered him in a positive light. What happened to him in SF was criminal. Last year was the first year I heard ANY good talk about him in the media. Still though, they call him a "game manager" EVERY single time they compliment him.

When Smith makes a play the typical call goes like this......
"Alex Smith just gets the job done. Hes not very exciting, but hes an excellent game manager."

Big fan of Smith, great that he got a nice payday...My rant....they should have won the last playoff game. The suppa afflete stepped out of bounds on the catch that would have set up a game winning field goal. The game ended, no announcer ripped the receiver no nothing. A great season ended by a stupid afflete. I would have cut that POS in the locker room.....

PHillisFan

Master
Alex Smith has proven he is not the "game manager" he is perceived to be. KC has won 6 games without throwing a TD to a receiver. That says a lot of his receiving core. Outside of Kelce, Fasano and possibly Bowe(Inconsistent), Smith doesn't have much to work with.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Smith is a quality starting quarterback that helped turned the Chiefs around. He's underrated.

The 49ers kept the wrong quarterback. They should have kept Smith.

If the 49ers had played Smith instead of Kaepernick the year they went to the Super Bowl they probably would have won it.

But they didn't and now they're going downhill.

PHillisFan

Master
Alex Smith seems to have a good rapport with Maclin. Better than he did with Bowe. I expect Alex to have a better year with Maclin and a healthy Kelce as targets.

PHillisFan

Master
Alex Smith helped pull off biggest comeback in KC franchise history. He threw over 300 yards 2 Tds and ran in the game winner.