A history of blacks at Texas schools

Bronk

Mentor
The first blacks to play at a white college in Texas were Leon King and Abner Haynes who enrolled at North Texas State (now the University of North Texas) in Denton in 1956. Even though Haynes and King had scholarship offers from the University of Colorado, Abner's father influenced his son to walk on at NTSU to stay close to the family home in Dallas. A court order in 1955 had opened the doors to black undergraduate students at NTSU.

Haynes had a good career in the pros, playing with the AFL Dallas Texans and the Denver Broncos. Haynes is currently a player agent living in Dallas.

This opened the doors for blacks in the smaller Texas schools as well. By the early 1960s schools like West Texas State, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&I, Texas Western (UTEP) were all adding blacks to their rosters. West Texas State was particularly open to blacks and featured a player from Massachusetts -- of all places --named "Pistol Pete" Pedro who gained some national notoriety as a running back.

Though the smaller schools in Texas featured blacks, the Southwest Conference schools stayed away from recruiting negroes. Even after ditching the rule barring blacks from the rosters in 1963, SWC schools remained lilly white. Rice Coach Jess Neely openly scorned the idea of blacks ever playing for him.

In 1964 Warren McVea from an integrated HS in San Antonio was one of the hottest football prospects in the nation. Schools from all over the country, particularly the West Coast, recruited McVea. Texas' Darrell Royal even looked into breaking the color barrier by offering McVea a scholarship. However after finding that the kid had a statutory rape conviction, Royal backed off. Texas would not have a black player win a varsity letter until Julius Whittier did so in 1970.

Instead, McVea went to the University of Houston which was an up-and-coming independent in 1965. McVea was one of several blacks on the UH roster.

After graduating from Houston, McVea played for the Cincinnati Bengals and KC Chiefs. These days he is a drug addict with a long criminal record.

The SWC broke the color barrier in 1966 when SMU recruited Jerry Levias from Beaumont. Levias, however, was not the first black in the SWC to see varsity action on the gridiron. John Westbrook, a walk-on halfback, played for Baylor a week before Levias made his debut. As the first black player in SWC history, Westbrook played in a nationally televised upset of Syracuse. After Westbrook's first carry, the press box announcer blared out to the crowd in Baylor Stadium "Colored football for color TV!"

Levias, who once said of his situation, "I'm not an angry black man, I'm a hungry black man," had a good career at SMU and went on to a decent career in the NFL with the Houston Oilers and SD Chargers. Levias is a successful businessman living in Houston today. Westbrook's years at BU were injury plagued. He later became a Baptist minister in Houston but died of a heart attack in 1979.

After Levias and Westbrook, blacks began to trickle into the SWC. By 1969, about half the teams in the conference had at least one black player on their roster. The exceptions were Texas, Arkansas and Texas A&M. Rice, where Neely refused to even consider blacks, had the conference's first black QB that season, Stahle Vincent, in 1969. Of course, Jess Neely was nowhere near the school, having retired as football coach after the 1966 season and taken the AD job at Vandy.

The University of Texas actually had two black players on its roster in 1968, but neither made an impact and both left the squad after the season. Royal was spurred on to recruit more black players in the 1970s by the success of black Texans at the University of Oklahoma. OU Coach Barry Switzer blatantly played the racial card in his dealings with black recruits and openly taunted both Royal and UT about his success. Of course, money and shady dealings played a factor in Switzer's recruitment. The case of Galveston HS star Kerry Jackson (a black QB at OU) is a case in point. OU coaches literally altered Jackson's HS transcripts to get him into OU and paid him a stipend. For this OU was placed on NCAA probation.

Texas A&M was the last school in the SWC to integrate its squad, doing so in 1972.

In 1976 Houston joined the SWC. Between Warren McVea in 1965 and joining the conference, UH had included a significant number of black players on its roster. It had a black QB guiding its veer in 1973 (D.C. Nobles) and had a black QB leading its first SWC team as well.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Greatpost, Bronk. In regard to Barry Switzer, maybe he wasn't one of the sleaziest coaches ever, but he certainly looked like one.

I remember when Warren McVea was a sophomore at Houston in 1965. It was big news at the time. That year, Houston played at Tennessee. It was the Vols first game after the 7-7 surprise tie with Alabama I referred to in another thread. Tennessee won 17-8. McVea and another Houston player were the first blacks ever to play against Tennessee. This was overshadowed by the fact that three UT assistant coaches, one of them Johnny Majors' brother Bill, were killed in a traffic accident the Monday before the game.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Houston beat Ole Miss 17-3 in 1965. That was Ole Miss first game on Astroturf, and they were known until 1971 as being "astro-jinxed," even after they put it down in Hemingway Stadium in 1970(Archie broke his arm on it). I have a cool 1966 Ole Miss yearbook that shows pictures from that game, and McVea being leveled by a lone Rebel. The caption reads: "who says we discriminate."
smiley36.gif
Anyway, Houston beat Ole Miss again in 68 in Jackson and in 69 in Houston. Ole Miss played Houston yearly from 1954-1970, and those were Houston's only wins.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bronk said:
Who could possibly be sleazier than Switzer?

I phrased my post poorly. It should have read, "If there was any doubt about how sleazy Switzer was, one look at him would alleviate any doubts."

Not that he didn't and doesn't have lots of competition. To name one, Jackie Sherrill was incredibly successful while at Pitt, but not because he cared about academic standards or following recruiting rules to the letter.

Bronk

Mentor
Sherrill was pretty bad at Texas A&M as well. Fed Ex anyone?

Historian, are you a Vol fan? That's pretty cool that you go back to 1965, lot of great history in the 1960s. As you know, Tenn wore a black cross superimposed over the T decal on their helmets after the death of those assit. coaches. Imagine them trying to do that now.

Reb, look a little closer at the photos of the UH-Ole Miss game in the Astrodome from 1965. That's natural grass, not astroturf. The Dome actually had a natural grass surface in its initial year. It didn't grow well so they came up with astroturf to cover the field. First astroturf game was UH v Washington State in 1966.

Bronk, Yes, I'm a Vol fan who started listening to games on the radio at age 10 in 1960. I first saw a game in Neyland Stadium in September 1965, UT-Auburn which ended in a 13-13 tie. In 1965, the old grads dressed up for a football game, now everybody dresses down.

In 1965, Tennessee went to a Bowl for the first time since 1957. The Vols played Tulsa in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Tulsa had several black players. Tennessee had never played against blacks beforte1965, as I said above. Tulsa had a big defensive lineman named Willie Townes, who had a big game against Ole Miss in the previous year's Bluebonnet Bowl. Tulsa beat Ole Miss 14-7. "Willie integrated the Ole Miss backfield," Tulsa boasted.

Willyieboasted about what he was going to do to Tennessee before the game. "They are from the South, aren't they," he said. During the game, Willy was invisible as the Vols slaughtered Tulsa 27-6 in a game that wasn't that close.

Townes later played for the Cowboys from 1966-68. After that he tore up a knee and was soon out of football. Before that he was a good DE.

Bronk

Mentor
Historian, I have read about Townes. I think he also had an eating problem that contributed to his demise from the NFL.

I also know what you mean about fans dressing for games. I went to my first University of Texas game in 1968 (I was seven) at Rice Stadium and still remember my dad wearing a short sleeve shirt and a tie.

I always liked the Vols (UT, orange and white). I remember vividly watching the 1973 Gator Bowl on TV. My brothers and I were rooting for Texas Tech in that one. Condridge Holloway, Haskell Stanback, Eddie Brown (who later played with the Redskins), Rick Townsend. One guy I recall particularly was FB Bill Rudder. He wore 36, the number my dad and brother wore and the number I would wear in high school. Later I was a big fan of Larry Sievers.

What do you remember about the 1969 Cotton Bowl, Texas-Tenn? The Vols had Kiner and Richmond Flowers, as I recall.

Texas had introduced the wishbone offense that year. Tennessee had never seen it, and the Vol defenders couldn't follow the ball. Texas won 36-13 after leading 28-0 at halftime. Texas QB Jim Street and runners Chris Gilbert and Steve Worster had a field day. It was no contest.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I didn't realize they actually tried grass in an enclosed building. Anyway, they were still called astro-jinxed, whether it was the grass or the building. Here's the reason they had to switch to artificial turf.

The first Astros game, an exhibition with the New York Yankees, demonstrated that the semitransparent cream-colored panels in the roof made fly balls too difficult to see. So, the ceiling tiles were painted, but the grass died. This led to the installation of plastic grass known as Astroturf. It was ready for Opening Day, 1966.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's some Burnt Orange and all White Champions for you Bronk!
1963_football_530.jpg

1969_football_530.jpg

1970_football_530.jpg

Bronk

Mentor
Reb, yes, when you solve one problem, you create another.

I'm impressed with your ability to produce the team photos of various national champions. What is your source?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I have many sources, Bronk. If I told everyone, then I wouldn't have an advantage anymore, at least as far as the pics go. There really is no secret site or anything. It just involves some patience and research. There are many sites I use for stats, etc, but I found out years ago that you can find a lot by cross-referencing most teams media guides. You can find a lot of QB/RB/WR info on these, as well as yearly records, who lettered, bowl game info, among other interesting things. One thing that makes it easier is a fast computer. A slow, dial-up connection makes a long job of looking through PDF's and such. With the media guides, you can't download, link, or save the pics though. Anyway, I have a wealth of other sources that I use for scores, stats, pictures, etc.

The media guides will make an expert out of anyone if they spend some time in them, but I wouldn't recommend trying to become an expert on more than a couple of teams this way, because the media guides are so long. It helps to have a good background with the team you are a fan of as well, like you and Texas. Because of my age, 27, I have to make up for my lack of experiential knowledge with head knowledge learned from books, online, stories, etc. I don't think I gave away too much tonight.
smiley36.gif
I'm just glad someone notices and appreciates the effort I put into it. It helps keep me sane, and is a great (sometimes too great) diversion from classwork.