2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Congrats to FLA. My Blue shirts didn't bring it when it mattered..
Rangers are a talented team led by a great coach and will be back.

Nothing for them to hang their heads about, at all.

Interesting that the media didn’t fawn all over K’Andre Miller. I think he is a decent player and seems reserved, I’d have thought they would have hyped him as the sole reason for the rangers success but thankfully they didn’t.

Your boys are gonna have to be prepared to pay Igor a lot more dough next year. If you don’t I can think of 5 teams that will!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rangers are a talented team led by a great coach and will be back.

Nothing for them to hang their heads about, at all.

Interesting that the media didn’t fawn all over K’Andre Miller. I think he is a decent player and seems reserved, I’d have thought they would have hyped him as the sole reason for the rangers success but thankfully they didn’t.

Your boys are gonna have to be prepared to pay Igor a lot more dough next year. If you don’t I can think of 5 teams that will!
True, but there was an uncommon number of close-up shots of him sitting on the bench. Same with Mika Zibanejad, who is technically Swedish but has a Finnish mother and Iranian father and has an exotic look to him. He's a very good player but was a bust in the Florida series. A high number of close-ups is another method the narrative is pushed even when announcers aren't gushing non-stop about the POCs, particularly Black ones.

There's also many closeups of Jason Robertson of the Stars, who's half Filipino. The Oilers of course have Nurse and Kane, who are never ignored by the cameras.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Oilers got an early brilliant goal from Connor McDavid and then another one in the first period and somehow hung on to eliminate Dallas in Game 6 and now face the Panthers in what could be a great Stanley Cup final. The Stars outshot the Oilers 35-10 and had the ice tilted their way almost the entire game but the Oilers got the win in the end, thanks in large part to this goal by McDavid. Watch all the replays to appreciate just what a beauty it was, about a 9.9 out of 10:

SneakyQuick

Mentor
The Oilers got an early brilliant goal from Connor McDavid and then another one in the first period and somehow hung on to eliminate Dallas in Game 6 and now face the Panthers in what could be a great Stanley Cup final. The Stars outshot the Oilers 35-10 and had the ice tilted their way almost the entire game but the Oilers got the win in the end, thanks in large part to this goal by McDavid. Watch all the replays to appreciate just what a beauty it was, about a 9.9 out of 10:

Terrific goal. Sadly for oiler fans that walk into the crease won’t be quite so easy with the panthers!

Tannehill17

Mentor
I've never been as pumped for hockey as I am now. I've been following the Panthers since day one back in 1993 when Wayne Huizenga brought them here to play in the crappy Miami Arena in even crappier Overtown. Throughout my 30 year fanhood, I've sat through countless rebuilds, cashless owners, relocation rumors (meanwhile, our cousins up in Tampa were winning Stanley Cups) It really does feel like its our year this year. Time to Hunt!

REDEMPTION!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Edmonton looked great for a large chunk of the contest until the Panthers "got to their game" in the third period and stifled the Oilers' offensive stars. The Oilers would have won if Bobrovsky hadn't made a number of outstanding saves in the first two periods. He was as good as it gets the entire game.

The Oilers' Achilles heel is their third defensive pairing of Nurse and Ceci. Both Florida goals (they got an empty netter at the very end of the game) were with Nurse and Ceci bumbling on the ice. Sean McDonough mentioned during the game that Nurse is minus 15 during the playoffs, which he aptly called "astounding." Edmonton is one of the least desired destinations for NHL free agents and those with no-trade clauses, probably including many Canadians, and so they overpay for talent, which makes it very difficult for them to have a strong roster top to bottom. The Oilers are far from out of it, a win in Game 2 will go a long way if they're to win the Cup.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Edmonton looked great for a large chunk of the contest until the Panthers "got to their game" in the third period and stifled the Oilers' offensive stars. The Oilers would have won if Bobrovsky hadn't made a number of outstanding saves in the first two periods. He was as good as it gets the entire game.

The Oilers' Achilles heel is their third defensive pairing of Nurse and Ceci. Both Florida goals (they got an empty netter at the very end of the game) were with Nurse and Ceci bumbling on the ice. Sean McDonough mentioned during the game that Nurse is minus 15 during the playoffs, which he aptly called "astounding." Edmonton is one of the least desired destinations for NHL free agents and those with no-trade clauses, probably including many Canadians, and so they overpay for talent, which makes it very difficult for them to have a strong roster top to bottom. The Oilers are far from out of it, though a win in Game 2 will go a long way if they're to win the Cup.
They are so reliant on Mcdavid and Draisaitl though that those two admittedly excellent players looked completely gassed by the third period.

The cats are a deeper team too to bottom and if they continue to out hit and out shoot as they did in the third period of game 1 then this series is going to be over quickly.

I respect Edmonton and their talented players but in a physical contest, I don’t think they are deep enough. At least, I sure hope they aren’t.

And yes, Darnell Nurse and Evander Kane are both big liabilities for them

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't say they were gassed, more stifled as the Panthers slowly but surely took the game over late second into the third period. Having nearly a week off the Oilers were flying out of the gate, which is why Florida was playing from their heels for a good portion of the game. Edmonton's speed and offensive skill is their best weapon to counter the Panthers' many strengths. But yeah, in the third period the Panthers looked unbeatable, looking forward to Game 2.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I like that the Oilers have a defenseman named Kulak. I like the surnames in the NHL in general.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I like that the Oilers have a defenseman named Kulak. I like the surnames in the NHL in general.
The “dangerous “ evander Kane has had exactly 0 shot attempts this series.

9mm plus per year I believe he is paid

Cats up 2-0. Vamos gatos!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a little fun fact that Panthers fans will like: Of the last 35 teams who won the first two games of the finals, 32 went on to hoist the Cup.

Tannehill17

Mentor
Only 1 more win to go. I would love to see the Panthers close this series out and officially put their thumbprint on the South Florida sports scene. Would also be a huge kick in the nuts to all the Dolphins DWF's who aren't hockey fans that our nearly all white hockey team brought a championship here before the coal black Dolphins could even sniff a title. It will be fun to watch the Dolphins fail epically next season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Panthers are one of the most impressive (likely) Stanley Cup winners of recent years, say the last two decades. Even though Edmonton made a comeback in Game 3 that fell short, it always felt like Florida was going to win as the Panthers were masterful at keeping the Oilers on the perimeter and limiting their close-in opportunities. Their positioning fundamentals and discipline is on another level.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
The oilers could barely get the puck out of their own end for what seemed like minutes at a time in third.

We out hit them, and just never allowed them any space. Defense and goaltending win championships!

NikoDuke

Mentor
Panthers are going to win the cup and deservedly so. They learned from last year and are playing a smarter game. Same as previous series vs. NYR. Hitting but, not getting carried away after the whistle and remaining composed.
And Gustav Forsling is really good player. Until this season, I haven't watched much of him since his World Junior Championship days. The fact that three teams gave up on him because he was too small and not flashy is bonkers to me. Best D in this series by far.

Bobvrosky is a huge factor in this series but, Oilers aren't helping themselves with their defense. They have maybe 3 NHL caliber Dmen starting. And 2 of those 3, like Bouchard are extremely one dimensional. They don't have 1 defenseman who can process the game at an elite level.. like Forsling can for the Panthers. Can't win consistently with crap defense.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Panthers are going to win the cup and deservedly so. They learned from last year and are playing a smarter game. Same as previous series vs. NYR. Hitting but, not getting carried away after the whistle and remaining composed.
And Gustav Forsling is really good player. Until this season, I haven't watched much of him since his World Junior Championship days. The fact that three teams gave up on him because he was too small and not flashy is bonkers to me. Best D in this series by far.

Bobvrosky is a huge factor in this series but, Oilers aren't helping themselves with their defense. They have maybe 3 NHL caliber Dmen starting. And 2 of those 3, like Bouchard are extremely one dimensional. They don't have 1 defenseman who can process the game at an elite level.. like Forsling can for the Panthers. Can't win consistently with crap defense.
All true. Their defense is much better than it had been, yet not on a par with Florida’s.

Much as I would love to see the cats clinch the cup win in Sunrise I’ll be plenty happy if we win tonight.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Quite a dominant performance by Edmonton last night. Defeating the Panthers 8-1 and chasing Bobvrosky from the net.
Odds are strongly against them but, it makes the next game (5) a very interesting one.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quite a dominant performance by Edmonton last night. Defeating the Panthers 8-1 and chasing Bobvrosky from the net.
Odds are strongly against them but, it makes the next game (5) a very interesting one.
I agree. I'd say Edmonton's chances are still close to non-existent, but consider that the Oilers could have and should have won Game 1 only to be stymied by "Bob's" brilliance, which would have meant a tied series after four games. Viewed from that perspective in view of the slaughter last night, it could just get quite interesting. If the Oilers keep their high octane offense going even close to what they had last night, who knows. . .

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I agree. I'd say Edmonton's chances are still close to non-existent, but consider that the Oilers could have and should have won Game 1 only to be stymied by "Bob's" brilliance, which would have meant a tied series after four games. Viewed from that perspective in view of the slaughter last night, it could just get quite interesting. If the Oilers keep their high octane offense going even close to what they had last night, who knows. . .
Panthers didn’t play their game for most of the game. If they get back to disciplined hockey, it’s over on Tuesday night

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was without electricity the past two days after a severe storm moved through on Monday and couldn't watch Game 5 but just saw the highlights. Wow, Edmonton already has the consistently loudest fans in the league, the atmosphere for Game 6 should be as good as it gets.

McDavid was getting ripped big time as much of the corporate sports media was excited about making him the goat, especially if Florida swept. But now Connor has four points in back to back games, the first time it's been done in the finals. The goal he set up last night that Corey Perry tapped in was sheer brilliance. If the Oilers complete the comeback he's a lock for the Conn Smythe trophy.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I was without electricity the past two days after a severe storm moved through on Monday and couldn't watch Game 5 but just saw the highlights. Wow, Edmonton already has the consistently loudest fans in the league, the atmosphere for Game 6 should be as good as it gets.

McDavid was getting ripped big time as much of the corporate sports media was excited about making him the goat, especially if Florida swept. But now Connor has four points in back to back games, the first time it's been done in the finals. The goal he set up last night that Corey Perry tapped in was sheer brilliance. If the Oilers complete the comeback he's a lock for the Conn Smythe trophy.
The only consolation I take in this is that the Cats at least outplayed the oilers in the second half of the game. If we had not made a few costly errors we would have won, in spite of Mcdavid. But we were beaten and now we have to find a way to finish the job.

Game 6 should be amazing.

Happy Juneteenth.

white is right

Hall of Famer

There was talk among the talking heads on the Canadian broadcaster that he should win it even if the Oilers lose the series.

The series is wide open now as the Oilers have found the keys to the vault and are back to the high scoring offense they were during the season. The Panthers look like they hit the wall. We shall see if it was a game and half mirage or the Panthers skaters lost their legs.

jphoss

Mentor
The only consolation I take in this is that the Cats at least outplayed the oilers in the second half of the game. If we had not made a few costly errors we would have won, in spite of Mcdavid. But we were beaten and now we have to find a way to finish the job.

Game 6 should be amazing.

Happy Juneteenth.
LMAO