2024 Oregon State Beavers

Phall

Master
Since 2007, Oregon State has started 10, 10, 13, 10, 8, 5, 8, 8, 6, 5, 5, 5 6, 7, and 6 white players (no write up in 2015). They tie their all-time low of 5 to open 2024.

The Beavers lost the Power 5 musical chairs after the Pac-12 emptied out. Along with Washington State, they will be the lone members of the Pac-12 in 2024. If I understand correctly, they have an agreement to play enough Mountain West Conference to qualify for a hypothetical G5 bowl/playoff bid before settling into the WCC next year.

Oregon State overachieved and was trending up as a program before losing out on the big revenue-sharing pieces of pie. They promoted internally by tabbing their DC Trent Bray as a first-time head coach. Bray is a legacy Beaver, known in his bio as "one of the most decorated defenders in school history." It's odd that he's had such trouble finding other such white defenders over the past three seasons to recruit.

Here's a passage from the 2023 writeup:
QB Ben Gulbranson gets demoted after going 7-1 as a RS Freshman last season to make way for one of the biggest hype jobs in recent college football memory - DJ Uiagalelei. If I were Gulbranson I'd transfer out as soon as the season ends because the Beavers have another black savior freshman QB on the roster.

Gulbrandson just lost the QB battle again, this time to a black quarterback transfer from Idaho of all places. The other black quarterback in question remains third on the depth chart. Receiver Trent Walker is a pleasant surprise on the starters list.

Starting safety Jack Kane describes his background as "White, Native Hawaiian, Asian" which I take to mean another Tyler Rapp mold, who we tracked here.

The offensive line room hoards nearly all the white scholarship athletes, although they will only start 3 of 5 there. Redshirt sophomore "running back" Jack Reichle is 6'1, 225 lbs and a lot bigger than the three jitterbugs listed ahead of him.

Starters
OL: Gerad Christian-Lichtenhan, Tyler Voltin, Grant Starck
WR: Trent Walker

S: Jack Kane (Asian/poly mix)

Backups
QB: Ben Gulbrandson
OL: Jacob Anderson, Nathan Elu, Luka Vincic
TE: Bryce Caufield, Gabe Milbourn, Cooper Jensen
RB/FB: Jake Reichle

DT: Nick Norris
LB: Clive Pond

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Definitely miss the days of double digit starters.

Really can’t believe PAC-12 disintegrated like it did.