2024 Iowa Hawkeyes

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Since 2005, Iowa has started 11, 13, 15, 15, 13, 12, 11, 12, 16, 13, 14, 14, 16, 15, 9, 14, 14, 17 and 13 white athletes. The Hawkeyes are projected to start 12 in 2024.

The big storyline is that Kirk Ferentz jettisoned his son from the program and brings in Tim Lester as offensive coordinator. His most recent experience is with the Packers as an offensive analyst in 2023 which honestly isn't totally reassuring considering the darkening of Green Bay. Any elevated success the Hawkeyes may have this year heavily depends on the QB position. QB Cade McNamara returns as starter after an injury riddled 2023 season but even when he did play the results were mixed. It will be interesting to see if Lester is a more competent playcaller. Iowa brought in former Northwestern QB Brendan Sullivan as an insurance plan as Ferentz has stated he is the number 2 QB behind McNamara.

Iowa looks to once again produce a White starting CB. This time it is John Nestor. Amazing how one big time FBS program is unearthing these White Cornerbacks isn't it?

The Hawkeyes not only boast a snow plow of starters but also the 2nd team. A lot of depth all around this team. The aforementioned Brendan Sullivan gives the Hawkeyes a security blanket at QB, TE Addison Ostrenga provides them with arguably the best TE duo in the FBS, WR Kaden Wetjen is the primary kick and punt return man. On defense DE Max Llewellyn, DT Jeff Bowie, DT Will Hubert, DT Luke Gaffney and DE Caden Crawford all should get playing time this year and provide depth for the future. Linebacker is a bit disappointing as LB Karson Sharar is the only one listed on the 2 deep in the Hawkeyes 4-2-5 defense. LB Jaxon Rexroth is listed as third team "cash" backer. FS Zach Lutmer backs up the underrated, hard hitting Quinn Schulte.

Offense
QB Cade McNamara
FB Hayden Large
TE Luke Lachey
LT Mason Richman
LG Beau Stephens
C Logan Jones
RG Connor Colby
RT Gennings Dunker

Defense
DT Aaron Graves
DE Ethan Hurkett
CB John Nestor
FS Quinn Schulte

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Well done Iowa!

I see Ferentz and Budamayr are facing a suspension in the opening game. Violation from a year ago with McNamara.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Rooting for Nestor to stick it out as a CB. Here was one of his recruiting profiles where he was projected to be a safety. I may have posted this before.

Very good all-around player who takes great angles to the ball and is consistently around the action. Plays fast and pursues the ball with great effort. Has shown he can play deep safety, play closer to the line of scrimmage and can play outside corner as well. Show good ball skills and also has experience as a wide receiver. Ultimately, he likely projects as a safety but can be counted on to match-up and play man-to-man on tight ends and slots at the next level. No verified timed speed at this time but has good football speed. Safely projects as a productive college player. If he tests anywhere close to what he plays like, he will have a chance to play on Sundays.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
An Iowa related storyline I will be watching is to see if former Iowa QBs Deuce Hogan and Joe Labas have any sort of success at their current school (New Mexico St and C. Michigan respectively). If either performs well that is certainly a damning indictment on the departed Ferentz. It's meaningless but that doesn't mean I won't track it!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Good squad of course but 12 is almost a down year for them. With the depth, it looks like next year could be a bump back up again!

Really hoping they can finally have a competent offense to pair with a killer defense.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good squad of course but 12 is almost a down year for them. With the depth, it looks like next year could be a bump back up again!

Really hoping they can finally have a competent offense to pair with a killer defense.
It is weird seeing Iowa without an LB or 2! Should be more coming through the pipeline. Let’s just hope their offense finds a pulse this season!

Rocky B

Master
I’ve been keeping eyes on Brevin Doll. I guess he was banged up and returned to the track this spring and won some big high school races. He’s a true freshman this year (running back, for newbies). I did notice Nestor was dropped to second team. He will play a lot, probably supplant the other corner eventually anyway.

Rocky B

Master
I’ve been watching an Iowa podcast.. These guys are high on incoming WR Reece Vander Zee. He played high school baseball, and thier season in Iowa is a summer season. So he just got to football camp. They say he will get snaps this year. Also said Doll broke his arm last year and crushed track this spring. (10.4-10.8 100 meters). They say he’s “yoked” and fast as crap. But the WR depth chart is thin and the RB depth chart isn’t....Maybe he gets a few snaps in the slot. He’s also 6’1. The guys doing the podcast are local. The one guy knows Doll’s dad and said he’s 6’6”. Brevin may still grow and be too tall for a RB. Me being the running back fan, would love to see him stick carrying the ball. DHenry can do it. Anyway. It was a good podcast about Iowa football.
Rooting for them big time this year.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
It is weird seeing Iowa without an LB or 2!
All-World wrestler Ben Kueter would've been a starter or at least a contributor at LB in 2024, but he has temporarily taken a break from football to concentrate solely on his wrestling career. He won a National Title in his age group over the spring/summer. He is now concentrating on the U20 World Title which begins September 7th. Very difficult to play more than one sport and be great at both in college, especially where wrestling is concerned. Wrestling the most demanding of any sport. IMO.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Cool bit on Kueter. Trying to make his Olympic dreams come true.