2024 Australian Open

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've lost my previous level of interest in the Australian Open and it seems everyone else has too but here's a thread anyway as the event is now into the quarterfinals.

Djokovic and Alcaraz both are in the quarters. On the women's side, Gauff and Sabalenka are the two best known names left.

Ultra-sensitive Naomi Osaka, who dropped out of sight after the 2022 U.S. Open and gave birth six months ago, made her slam comeback only to be knocked off in the first round by the 16th seed, Carolina Garcia.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This tournament historically has been as upside down as the time schedule and on the women's side the draw has resorted to historical form as Swiatek was knocked out in the 3rd round by an unknown upstart. I noticed she struggled in the 2nd round against a cannon fodder opponent as she seemed to have gained weight. I don't know whether she was working off weight after an injury or personal issues. If it's the later it could be harbinger of bad things to come career wise for the brilliant Pole.

Tennis on the female side needs a stabilizing force as many of the next generation stars have been bulbs that have appeared to burn out much too quickly with personal life issues or injuries or the mix of the two. With the money in tennis these days a single minded super star will be a rare bird.

The tournament will be probably similar to the old NFC championship duels in the 90's with Sabalenka battling Gauff in one bracket and 4 David opponents yet to battle for the two remaining semifinal spots on the other side of the draw. The winner to emerge from that side of the draw could get waxed by the eventual battle of the goliaths winner on the loaded side of the bracket similar to the AFC champions in that era of the NFL.

On the men's side it's set up for another battle of the goliaths with the Joker vs his protege Alcarez as both have looked on form and won't lose unless they bring their b games into their upcoming matches.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It shocks me that some of the Australian Fans have been yelling get vaxed to Novak Djokovic. I would think the majority of people
down under are smarter than that with the countless injuries and deaths all around the world from this experimental vaccine. Novak D.
looked bad early in the tourrnament but has been rock solid ever since.

Yeah I was sad to see Swiatek lose in the early rounds. I agree she looks a little over weight. Nothing too serious that can't be fixed
by the next grand slam. Sometimes elite players need a wakeup call and hopefully this will get her back on track!

Bigbossman

It shocks me that some of the Australian Fans have been yelling get vaxed to Novak Djokovic. I would think the majority of people
down under are smarter than that with the countless injuries and deaths all around the world from this experimental vaccine. Novak D.
looked bad early in the tourrnament but has been rock solid ever since.

Yeah I was sad to see Swiatek lose in the early rounds. I agree she looks a little over weight. Nothing too serious that can't be fixed
by the next grand slam. Sometimes elite players need a wakeup call and hopefully this will get her back on track!
Swiatek has the most beautiful skin tone I have ever seen.Not a blemish!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Look at the media and how they treat the Greatest Mens Tennis Player of All Time!

1a0436a04098e823.png

icsept

Master
Sinner beats Djokovic in the semis. Disappointing, but I like Sinner. Medvedev v Zverev coming up. I’ll go for Medvedev just because he’s Russian and ESPN refuses to show his flag by his name.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sinner beats Djokovic in the semis. Disappointing, but I like Sinner. Medvedev v Zverev coming up. I’ll go for Medvedev just because he’s Russian and ESPN refuses to show his flag by his name.

Very sad that the Joker lost. I was looking forward to him winning another major. Yes Go Medvedev.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Aryna Sabalenka wins her second straight Australian Open singles title, beating Zheng of China in straight sets. She knocked off media darling Coco Gauff in the semis. Sabalenka was the second seed, Gauff the fourth.

Sabalenka is from Belarus, like Russia a non-existent country to the childish liberals who run tennis and the tennis media, which makes her win that much more satisfying to see.

Edit: I just watched the trophy presentation and Aryna has a very likeable personality. She's pretty too in her own way, and the trophy is beautiful.

1-Aryna Sabalenka.jpg

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Congrats to the evil Belorussian and Sinner on his first Grand Slam.

And speaking of evil Russians, Zverev is another as he’s German in name only. So many Russians are great tennis players on the men’s and women’s sides. Must make those neo-liberals seethe.

PS - Sinner is from the German speaking part of Italy (South Tyrol) so I guess he could be an Italian in name only.

Gator Dad

Guru
Djokovic has always been one of the most well-liked and well-respected players ever, not just by the fans, but also by his fellow players. The (((lying media))) are counting on the average DWF's ignorance of tennis to sell their anti-Djokovic myths.