2023 Texas Tech Red Raiders

Red Raider

Mentor
Since 2006, Texas Tech has started 7, 9, 8, 10, 7, 8, 5, 4, 7, 5, 6, 8, 6, 9, 7, and 6 white players. In 2023 they look to start 6 again.

The numbers are still low but this team is trending in the right direction.

Last year LB Jacob Rodriguez was pretty much the only white defensive player that even saw snaps until DE/OLB Isaac Smith got time at the end of the season due to injuries. This year nearly all of the LB’s on the depth chart are white guys. S Joseph Plunk is listed as a backup at 2 safety positions.

A solid amount of depth across the offense but WR Brady Boyd could potentially redshirt this season. QB Tyler Shough is poised to have a big year if he can stay healthy, he is 8-0 in games at Texas Tech that he has started and finished. All 4 QB’s on the roster are white as well as the 2024 QB commit. Unfortunately the 2024 class is not looking good outside of the QB and a few OL.

Keep an eye on the TE’s. Baylor Cupp is a former 5 star recruit who has had lots of injury problems in his career. If he stays healthy he could potentially have a really big year. The other TE Mason Tharp is a specimen at 6’9” 270lbs, he has recorded a 26-298-3 stat line in 2 seasons.

OFFENSE
QB Tyler Shough (SR)
TE Baylor Cupp (SR)/Mason Tharp (JR)
LT Monroe Mills (JR)
LG Cole Spencer (SR)
C Rusty Staats (SR)

DEFENSE
MLB Jacob Rodriguez (JR)

Players to watch:
QB Behren Morton, QB Jake Strong, WR Brady Boyd, WR Coy Eakin, WR Drew Hocutt, TE Henry Teeter, TE/FB Charles Robinson, OT Matt Keeler, OT Daniel Sill, C Sheridan Wilson, OG Landon Peterson, OG Ty Buchanan, DE Sam Carrell, DE/OLB Isaac Smith, LB Ben Roberts, LB Ty Kana, LB Wesley Smith, S Joseph Plunk

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Surprised Behren Morton isn't being considered for the starting gig. Shough is good but his injury history has been an issue.

Great write up!

TwentyTwo

Master
Nice write up Red Raider.

I got Isaac Smith(6'-6" 240) as my sleeper! Gonna be hard to keep this guy off the field. Had a strong finish in ' 22.
Athlon's Sports has him as a Starter at Strongside LBer. (Linton at DE)

Why is WR Brady Boyd redshirting?

Last edited:

Red Raider

Mentor
Thanks guys.

I’d have to agree on the Isaac Smith prediction, he looked explosive last year in limited action. He has added some weight this off season and is now listed at 260! From everything I’ve seen it looks like he will backup Steve Linton but he should see plenty of reps and have 2 seasons to (potentially) start after this season.

The staff wants to redshirt Brady Boyd because he has already burned 2 years of eligibility with not much action (15-143-1). All of the starting receivers + the key backups are back this season so they want to save his eligibility so he can make a bigger impact in the future.