2023 Australian Open

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a Legend. It's rare in the sports world to see a Superstar on the Highest Level fight for his freedom and also people who also
didn't take it and don't ever want it. So rare and it puts Djokovic on a whole nother level.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched a re-run of the end of the match and the aftermath and Djokovic was at first pretty laid back after he won, none of that instant sprawling on his back on the court the way 99% of the Slam winners mimick each other when they win, but after he got to his box and was hugging his team his pent-up emotions really came out. Tsitsipas was very gracious in defeat and called Djokovic the greatest to ever pick up a tennis racket. Novak as always was articulate and thoughtful after receiving the trophy. It would have been easy to get in a lick or two against the Australian authorities but he didn't, though it was obvious he's been through a lot more than anyone knows over the past year or so.

There was a huge crowd of Djokovic supporters outside the arena watching on a big screen and cheering him on, as well as inside the arena. John McEnroe was very supportive of Djokovic in his post-match observations (as he has been throughout his ordeal), noting how popular Novak is and how his fan base is now large and from all over the world. Chris Fowler by contrast was his usual smug-ass self, saying a couple times of Djokovic to rebut McEnroe, "He made his choices." We can safely assume Fowler has been tripled vaxxed along with four or five boosters.

I admire Djokovic to the point that he's become my favorite athlete. I'll be very interested to see what he does with his life post-tennis as he'll still be a young man and is one of those rare people who can make a difference in the world in a positive way in spite of corporate media mostly ignoring him and never giving him his due.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I watched a re-run of the end of the match and the aftermath and Djokovic was at first pretty laid back after he won, none of that instant sprawling on his back on the court the way 99% of the Slam winners mimick each other when they win, but after he got to his box and was hugging his team his pent-up emotions really came out. Tsitsipas was very gracious in defeat and called Djokovic the greatest to ever pick up a tennis racket. Novak as always was articulate and thoughtful after receiving the trophy. It would have been easy to get in a lick or two against the Australian authorities but he didn't, though it was obvious he's been through a lot more than anyone knows over the past year or so.

There was a huge crowd of Djokovic supporters outside the arena watching on a big screen and cheering him on, as well as inside the arena. John McEnroe was very supportive of Djokovic in his post-match observations (as he has been throughout his ordeal), noting how popular Novak is and how his fan base is now large and from all over the world. Chris Fowler by contrast was his usual smug-ass self, saying a couple times of Djokovic to rebut McEnroe, "He made his choices." We can safely assume Fowler has been tripled vaxxed along with four or five boosters.

I admire Djokovic to the point that he's become my favorite athlete. I'll be very interested to see what he does with his life post-tennis as he'll still be a young man and is one of those rare people who can make a difference in the world in a positive way in spite of corporate media mostly ignoring him and never giving him his due.
Novak is the rare athlete worthy of admiration for more than just his feats in sports. I would assume he could easily become the President (or do they have a prime minister?) of Serbia. He’s so beloved there.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
The fact that Djokovic is truly beloved as the most unbeatable player on Earth while being known as a shameless anti-vax person is a good step in the right direction. He not only is the "Human Backboard" who almost literally hits everything back until his opponents make unforced errors, he stands strong in the face of evil. He is tenderhearted though despite being so tough. After he came down from the stands celebrating with his family over the victory he was in his player's chair literally sobbing under a towel over his head. You could hear it was just total relief after what has been done against him the last couple of years. An admirable man with a heart. God bless him.

Last edited:

icsept

Master
Amazingly, Djokovic took the high road throughout the entire Covid insanity. He didn’t try to convince anybody to agree with his position. He didn’t cry when his rights were violated. He didn’t gloat when he was proven right. Just a first class example of a man of principle.

NikoDuke

Guru
A part of me wishes that he didn't fully take the high road and made a few comments that went against the narrative.

Regardless, it was very positive the final consisted of him and Tsistipas. Both are worthy of our support.