2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs

wile

Master
It was mentioned during the game that the cheapest seats in the arena in Denver last night were a tidy $800, the most expensive $3,000. Not too shabby for a "niche" sport.

This is the first time I can remember the NBA Finals ending before the Stanley Cup Finals. Wonder if it's a one-time thing or if it's the "new normal" to use a phrase we've heard all too often the past couple years.

Lack of Blacks and Blackness adds a premium. Only conservatives believe that their "liberal friends" love blacks unconditionally. Hell will freeze over if conservatives figure out why suburban Karens and Todds pay big money for their little Clarice to go to soccer camps. A few years ago when I paid attention the Blackhawks' home games on the lower level had the highest property tax paying patrons of any sport in the Windy City by far.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Honestly even when you encounter vibrancy at a hockey game it’s no big deal. Culturally it’s all pretty uniform in that setting. If you’re there and vibrant yiure still there for the game.

at least that’s been my experience over the years in New York, New Jersey and Florida

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Tickets in Boston were starting at $700 for The Finals. DWFs still filling the stands.

At least Hockey is ours for now. What a stellar Game 1. Was bummed when I heard the 2nd game doesn't start until tomorrow!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Avalanche simply slaughtered the Lightning in Game 2, 7-0, and it was even more lopsided than the score indicates. It was like Colorado was playing against their AHL team.

The Avalanche have been rolling all playoffs and are now 14-2 in the race to win sixteen games and hoist the Stanley Cup. The Blues are the only team to win any games against Colorado so far through four playoff series. Tampa will now have to defeat them in four out of five games to retain the Cup, the tallest of orders. Obviously they have to win the next two games at home to have any chance. Tampa is a team with great resiliency and determination, the question is whether they have the talent to compete with the Avalanche. Right now it doesn't look good for their attempt to win three championships in a row.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Wow. I'm glad I didn't catch any of the game tonight. Game 3 will be a war, hopefully. The Avalanche are a blitzkrieg as you pointed out in your post. Dominance may be the only way to describe their run.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Lightning respond like the champions they are, thumping the Avalanche at home in Game 3, 6-2. We have a series, just maybe one for the ages!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
I don't have a dog in the fight but I was hoping that the Lightning could even up the series tonight. Didn't happen. They've got a real uphill battle now. Hats off to the Avalanche though for pulling it off in OT.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tampa wins Game 5, 3-2, in Denver, and now can even the series at home in the next game. With two great teams like this playing, it's cool that it didn't end in five games.

Colorado is so fast and quick, but Tampa has a decided edge in goal with Vasilevskiy along with their playoff experience and pedigree. Should be a great atmosphere for Game 6.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
I couldn't watch the game and had to work a swing shift this evening which I am still on. I was listening to the game when it was 2 - 2 and then I turned North to go to where I was supposed to go and, bang, lost the signal. I saw your post earlier Don and was glad to hear that we are looking at who knows what in game 6!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Avalanche close it out in Tampa and beat the two-time defending champs in six games, by a 2-1 count. Colorado played superb defense the entire game but especially in the third period. Even though the Lightning had their backs to the wall and were fighting not to be eliminated, I think they only had three shots on goal in the third period and one of them was from center ice. Colorado was the best team all season but still had to win four grueling playoff series so their title is well deserved. Great playoffs, as always the greatest test in team sports.

Last edited:

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Great summation Don. Well deserved by Colorado.

I wish hockey would become much more "mainstream" but part of me wants it like it is. The less it's infiltrated by the loony left the better, as they have ruined the NFL and NBA and are trying to make baseball a thing of the past as far as "America's favorite pastime". Hockey is about all we have that's mostly normal still.