2022 French Open

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Congratulations, Iga Swiatek.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Trying again since the last link was rabbit-holed.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Nadal takes the 1st set over Casper Ruud 6-3. Ruud trying to play his A-game in the second. He is now up 3-1.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Nadal rolling now. 2-0 in sets

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Nadal the victor, 6-3, 6-3, 6-0. I wasn't rooting for anyone, but you hate to see a steamroll match in a final of a major. Ruud disappeared mentally during the last 11 games. Why? The realization that there's nothing you can do to hurt your opponent took over his inner psyche. That will screw you right there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't watch much of the French Open this year, but gotta say Nadal winning it for the 14th time has to be the greatest individual athletic achievement in many years, maybe the greatest of all time! It reminds me of the unbreakable records in baseball going back to the first several decades of the 20th century. Someone may come along eventually, assuming the world as we know it somehow survives and things carry on for centuries to come, a huge assumption to be sure, and wins an individual Grand Slam tournament 14 or 15 times, but I highly doubt it will happen. Just remarkable, there's not enough superlatives to describe what Rafa has accomplished.

Last edited:

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
I didn't watch much of the French Open this year, but gotta say Nadal winning it for the 14th time has to be the greatest individual athletic achievement in many years, maybe the greatest of all time! It reminds me of the unbreakable records in baseball going back to the first several decades of the 20th century. Someone may come along eventually, assuming the world as we know it somehow survives and things carry on for centuries to come, a huge assumption to be sure, and wins an individual Grand Slam tournament 14 or 15 times, but I highly doubt it will happen. Just remarkable, there's not enough superlatives to describe what Rafa has accomplished.
It should be regarded as the greatest single accomplishment in any sport by any athlete. The fact that this Grand Slam on red clay was won by one single guy 14 times is beyond amazing. Before Federer and Nadal and Djokovic everyone thought it was amazing that Pete Sampras won 14 major titles total. It was pretty incredible considering guys like Agassi had 8 and Rod Laver had also won maybe seven or eight total on all surfaces and majors. But what Nadal has done including eight other Grand Slams for a total of 22 will never ever be broken. And he is still going...