2021-2022 PGA Tour

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dustin Johnson is a big catch for the new tour for sure. If the PGA Tour enacts measures perceived by the players as too harsh, it could end up backfiring, especially if a lot of the top international players join the LIV Tour. It would be nice if more tournaments featured the best players in the world instead of just the majors and a few others like The Players, though I don't know if the new tour can facilitate that or even wants to. Maybe one of the fall-outs will be that pro golf will become less U.S.-centric than it is now.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Dustin Johnson is a big catch for the new tour for sure. If the PGA Tour enacts measures perceived by the players as too harsh, it could end up backfiring, especially if a lot of the top international players join the LIV Tour. It would be nice if more tournaments featured the best players in the world instead of just the majors and a few others like The Players, though I don't know if the new tour can facilitate that or even wants to. Maybe one of the fall-outs will be that pro golf will become less U.S.-centric than it is now.
Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood and Luis Oosthuizen, along with DJ are rumored to have joined and are scheduled to be in this weeks LIV field in London. Mickelson is still a maybe.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are reports that DJ accepted a $100 million deal, Jack Nicklaus turned down $100 million to run the LIV Tour, and Tiger Woods turned down close to a billion dollar deal! With that kind of money behind it, it's hard to see how the new tour doesn't have a serious impact on the PGA Tour and the European and Asian tours.

white is right

Hall of Famer
There are reports that DJ accepted a $100 million deal, Jack Nicklaus turned down $100 million to run the LIV Tour, and Tiger Woods turned down close to a billion dollar deal! With that kind of money behind it, it's hard to see how the new tour doesn't have a serious impact on the PGA Tour and the European and Asian tours.
This new tour can be seismic shake up for the golf world. I can't think of any pro league doing this to another pro league, the WHA, USFL and ABA stole either stars or unproven rookies that were given huge contracts for their era but the average player in these leagues were the equivalent of AAA baseball players at best. This new tour might be a situation like this which might hurt the satellite tours worse than the big league tours and depth will be depleted faster from these tours.

PS the Saudi's have tried this in boxing but have only secured a bout here and there but they over paid the boxers to stage them as the government sponsored the events and bleeding money isn't an obstacle to staging the boxing events.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed are the latest players to agree to contracts to leave PGA Tour for LIV.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rory McIlroy outduels Justin Thomas (and Tony Finau) and wins the Canadian Open before a large, raucous crowd of alcohol-fueled fans. Due to Canada's barbaric Covid policies it's the first time the event has been played since 2019. McIlroy won it that year too, so he's officially a back-to-back champ despite the three year lapse.

It's McIlroy's 21st PGA Tour win. While being interviewed afterward he said it was special for him to get his 21st title and move ahead of a certain player who he wouldn't name. He was referring to Greg Norman, a prime mover and CEO of the LIV Tour, indicating there's some hard feelings out there toward Norman and maybe others. It'll be interesting to see how the players who defected to the LIV Tour will be treated by the large majority who have stayed and vice versa. The U.S. Open is next week, and because it's run by the USGA, all the players who have defected from the PGA Tour are still eligible to play.

Last edited:

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update Don. I just perused YouTube to see if there were any final-round highlights and there are none yet. Looking forward to those and if anybody can get them sooner that would be great!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McIlroy shot a sizzling final round 62, while Thomas and Finau both shot 64. Justin Rose was going for a super-rare 59 but bogeyed the final hole and settled for tying the course record with a 60 and a tie for fourth place. Canadian Cory Conners shot a 62 and finished sixth.

Now Rory will try to end his drought in majors at the U.S. Open this coming week.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Rory McIlroy outduels Justin Thomas (and Tony Finau) and wins the Canadian Open before a large, raucous crowd of alcohol-fueled fans. Due to Canada's barbaric Covid policies it's the first time the event has been played since 2019. McIlroy won it that year too, so he's officially a back-to-back champ despite the three year lapse.

It's McIlroy's 21st PGA Tour win. While being interviewed afterward he said it was special for him to get his 21st title and move ahead of a certain player who he wouldn't name. He was referring to Greg Norman, a prime mover and CEO of the LIV Tour, indicating there's some hard feelings out there toward Norman and maybe others. It'll be interesting to see how the players who defected to the LIV Tour will be treated by the large majority who have stayed and vice versa. The U.S. Open is next week, and because it's run by the USGA, all the players who have defected from the PGA Tour are still eligible to play.

Don. Did you see the interview Jim Nance did with PGA Commissioner Jay Monahan? What did you think? Monahan didn't look very happy. I was curious as to the question of why not let the players enter then LIV events and remain on tour. Many US players enter other tournaments around the world already. In looking at the LIV schedule, I only see 7 more tournaments.
Also, I think it will be interesting to see how the fans treat Mickelson, Johnson, Dechambeau, Reed, Garcia, and the rest. Will they turn on their own as many white fans tend to do?
Rory looked great today!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm usually all for competition in the market place as it gives you lost of choices & cheaper prices. Although some things are worth paying for.

In Sports I don't see it working very good. Just look at the USFL and XFL as an example. Heck even the WNBA. It's just a watered down product Pepsi will never beat Coke
and the PGA is safe. The Saudis have alot of money so they can keep it afloat for as long as they want but unless they get the star power it will probably go away within 5 years i.m.o.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't catch the Monahan interview, Carolina. Monahan seems to be very well liked by the players, business interests, and the media. A lot of the friction between the PGA Tour and the new tour could be ego related. I recall that Norman tried to start something somewhat similar several years ago and it didn't catch on. There may be a residue of anger against Norman, who certainly did well financially playing the PGA Tour along with cultivating his own business interests and is now seen as betraying the tour that did so much for him.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I wanted to weigh in on the whole LIV controversy. I don’t have any problem with it. In fact, I think it’s probably a good thing to keep the PGA tour in check a bit. The reason I say that is due to the ridiculously political decisions that they’ve been involved in, like banning any Trump owned golf courses from being used on the tour. Many are world class so they are basically denying the golf world and fans some great entertainment because their feels got hurt. If I’m not mistaken, the LIV will be utilizing at least 2 Trump courses this year?

icsept

Master
I’m pro LIV, and I think it’s hilarious how all the golf “purists” are wringing their hands and crying about it. Golf is the ultimate individual sport, and these men are making individual decisions based on their (primarily financial) best interests. Everybody on the tour, the talking heads, and the commissioner are all doing it for the money.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
PGA Tour player JT Poston became the first player on record (since 1983) to open consecutive PGA Tour events with a 62! I'm sure most of you if any know who Poston is. He's a one time tour winner, The 2019 Wyndam Championship and is currently 66 in the Fedex Cup standings. He finished runner up in last week's Travelers Championship. He is also currently 99th in the World Golf Rankings. He opened yesterday's first round with another 62 and is currently in first place.
Why am I reporting this? He's from my neck of the woods in western NC and we're proud of him. My oldest son was a friend of his and graduated in the same class at Western NC University. Way to go JT and here's to winning for a second time on tour. A win this week would get him into The British Open!

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
PGA Tour player JT Poston became the first player on record (since 1983) to open consecutive PGA Tour events with a 62! I'm sure most of you if any know who Poston is. He's a one time tour winner, The 2019 Wyndam Championship and is currently 66 in the Fedex Cup standings. He finished runner up in last week's Travelers Championship. He is also currently 99th in the World Golf Rankings. He opened yesterday's first round with another 62 and is currently in first place.
Why am I reporting this? He's from my neck of the woods in western NC and we're proud of him. My oldest son was a friend of his and graduated in the same class at Western NC University. Way to go JT and here to winning for a second time on tour. A win this week would get him into The British Open!

Poston continues to lead The John Deere Classic at -19. He leads by three over Stallings, McCarthy and Grillo. Alot on the line for Poston. A two- year exemption and a spot in The British Open at St Andrews in two weeks! Hopefully the western North Carolina native can hold on for his second career win.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Why am I reporting this? He's from my neck of the woods in western NC and we're proud of him. My oldest son was a friend of his and graduated in the same class at Western NC University. Way to go JT and here's to winning for a second time on tour. A win this week would get him into The British Open!

JT Poston goes wire to wire to win The John Deere Classic. He moves to number 22 in FedEx Cup points, is exempt through 2024, and now qualifies for The British Open in two weeks at St. Andrews!

booth

Mentor
J.T. Poston nickname should be "Ice" he never showed one bit of nerves the whole last round. Congratulations!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Xander Schaufflele will take a 2 stroke final round lead into The Genesis Scottish Open. The Scottish Open is an official PGA event and the tune up to next week's British Open.
Jordan Spieth once again in contention, 3 strokes back and will be in the next to last group tomorrow. Spieth has won once this year and finished second twice. Spieth has 3 Major wins and a total of 13 PGA wins. He has an incredible 17 seconds and 9 third place finishes in his career. Hopefully, he'll make a come from behind win tomorrow.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to see Jordan in contention in the run-up to the last major of the year next week.

Sean89

Mentor
Disgusting decision by the R&A to ban former champion Greg Norman from the celebrations next week due to his position with LIV. Shameful stuff !!