2018 Season news

mastermulti

Master
hmm. I'll be in Amsterdam when those Euro champs are on this year. May be just worth a trip to Berlin.

Having been to Berlin stadium in 2013 and Amsterdam's (to watch the Euros) in 2016, I know the seats in Berlin will be more spacious for a multi day meet :D.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot to post this a week ago. Teen sensation Samuel Purola opened up his indoor season with a bang. He is only 18 years of age. He ran a 6.75 over 60 but it's what he did over 200 meters indoors that stood out. Almost as fast as Lemaitre's 200 this year. Amazing time for this natural born sprinter. Finland truly has a special athlete here!

21.11 NJR =AJR Samuel Purola 19 May 2000 FIN 1 Helsinki 20 Jan 201

mastermulti

Master
he's certainly one to watch this year. He's actually still 4 months short of 18 - what will those 4 months bring?
He's has already bettered his uncle's (Pertti Purola) best ever times over 100 and 200.
He's certainly a strapping lad at 190 cms and 90 kgs (6'3" and 200 lbs)

Last edited:

sprintstar

Mentor
big kid, same height as Lemaitre yet he is 25lbs heavier than Lemaitre...all at shy of his 18th birthday. What is this kid going to grow into? He most definitely will get much faster as he matures..

mastermulti

Master
big kid, same height as Lemaitre yet he is 25lbs heavier than Lemaitre...all at shy of his 18th birthday. What is this kid going to grow into? He most definitely will get much faster as he matures..

as I like to say "he'll be a big help to his mum when he grows up" LOL

mastermulti

Master
I'm looking forward to seeing how Kevin Mayer goes this year (another reason to visit Berlin for the Euros?).
After Rio in 2016 Ashton Eaton said it was the most he'd ever been pushed when this then 24 year old finished only 59 points adrift. So I went to the IAAF website to see his PBs over all the events - what a killer athlete

http://www.european-athletics.org/c...cathlon-record-sight-with-berlin-approaching/

mastermulti

Master
some may remember the Irani sprinter Hassan Taftian who ran 10.04 (+1.0) mid 2016 before he got injured for much of 2017.

He ran 6.51 on Thursday for the 3rd best time in the world this year. Best of luck to the 24 year old for 2018

white lightning

Hall of Famer
some may remember the Irani sprinter Hassan Taftian who ran 10.04 (+1.0) mid 2016 before he got injured for much of 2017.

He ran 6.51 on Thursday for the 3rd best time in the world this year. Best of luck to the 24 year old for 2018

What an incredible time by Hassan Taftian. Wow is that flying.

On a side note, Su Bingtian of China ran a world leading 6.47 today in Germany for the win. This kid
is simply incredible. He has a chance to go sub 10 this summer. China is building a sprinting superpower slowly
but surely and Japan is also leading the way.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Wow - very, very fast time for Su.
In some ways, not surprising.
Last year he consistently running even with the world's best sprinters through 80 meters.
He could go sub-10 this year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great video. He has so much natural talent. He is very skinny for a sprinter but sometimes
that works just as well. Look at Kim Collins. Go back to P. Mennea of Italy. What ever works
works. Hope he doesn't try to bulk up too much.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I remember him from 2 or 3 years ago, but then he fell off. Glad he's back.
I also remember there was another Iranian sprinter who was almost as fast as Taftian. Can't recall the name at the moment.

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
I remember him from 2 or 3 years ago, but then he fell off. Glad he's back.
I also remember there was another Iranian sprinter who was almost as fast as Taftian. Can't recall the name at the moment.
You are likely thinking of Reza Ghasemi, 10.12 PR.

limitless

Mentor
We now know Hannah Cunliffe’s (left/photo by Paul Merca)professional plans.

On her Instagram account, the Federal Way HS grad and University of Oregon standout announced that she has signed a contract with adidas, and will be represented by Paul Doyle of Doyle Management Group in Georgia.

• hannahmc5I have dreamed of this day that i would become a professional track and field athlete. Through God I am blessed to announce I am officially an Adidas athlete and will be represented by Paul Doyle @trackdiddy . I want to thank the University of Oregon, coaches, staff, Duck fans, close friends, and family. Education is really important and I look forward to being a positive role model to people who look up to me and finishing school is my priority. I'm excited for this next chapter in my life . Thank you for all the support #3StripeLife@doylemanagement@adidas@adidasrunning

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
White Lighting mentioned this in another post . . . Su Bingtian ran a world leading time of 6.43 in the 60m in Germany.
Blazing fast time!
Some other guys were in the race, but they got smoked.
5 Adam Gemili (gbr) 6.62; 6 Richard Kilty (gbr) 6.63; 7 Dominik Zalesky (cze) 6.64.
Volko and Reus were eliminated in the heats.

sprintstar

Mentor
Wish Hannah Cunliffe success as a professional track athlete. Just wish she would lose the mudshark mentality.....

mastermulti

Master
White Lighting mentioned this in another post . . . Su Bingtian ran a world leading time of 6.43 in the 60m in Germany.
Blazing fast time!
Some other guys were in the race, but they got smoked.
5 Adam Gemili (gbr) 6.62; 6 Richard Kilty (gbr) 6.63; 7 Dominik Zalesky (cze) 6.64.
Volko and Reus were eliminated in the heats.

that was the most dominant 60 I've seen for some time. He made the Brits (especially) look pedestrian.

limitless

Mentor
first he passed up all his Asian brothers, then the white man, now he is going after the brothers.