2018 Season news

mastermulti

Master
We often mention Lemaitre staying where he is, staying with his coach - generally passing up offers that may help his development.
Well, pleased to say Aussie hope Josh Clarke has moved his training base to Canberra from Sydney where he's been training virtually alone and been hampered for two years by injury. He is now with a squad.
The Canberra move gives him access to our best coaches and medical staff as well as Institute of Sport slo-mo camera assessment/feedback etc.
It's also at around 2000ft (600 metres) altitude which is somewhat beneficial.
Here's hoping for a injury free pre-season and an early time to beat his 10.15 PB

mastermulti

Master
Two weeks ago Rohan Browning (just turned 20) ran PB 20.53 , - 0.7 seconds ahead of 2nd and 3rd places.
This week in his first serious 100 competition he ran 10.19 (0.1). I hope his body holds up for the next 4 months.
Sally Pearson (31) must be doing the flat 100 for the Comms also.
She ran 11.17 (+2.0) yesterday. Her PB stands at 11.14 from 2007 and she's concentrated on hurdling since then. She's been a class athlete for a long time now

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/athleti...monwealth-games-build-up-20171217-h05zux.html

mastermulti

Master
John Gikas (a young Greek/Australian) went to The Kings School where Josh Clarke went 3 years earlier and in his first full year of Track coaching in 2016 he won the Australian schools championship just before turning 17. He ran 10.37 (+2.4), standing up straight out of the blocks.

16 months later on a really hot 43.5C (110F) Sunday in Sydney he ran 200 in 20.43 (+3.0) at 18 and 2 months.

http://nswathletics.org.au/News/teen-sprinter-john-gikas-goes-from-nowhere-to-gold-coast-hope

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master

just to clarify, guys. In Australian Pro races they run in roped lanes (you run out of your lane you're down on your face) and on a grass surface. Typically, these football ovals are raised in the centre for drainage purposes so the run is never flat and easy. Hale was "back-marker" with only a 1/2 metre handicap.

In this setting Jack ran a non wind-assisted 12.18 in his heat to cover 119.5 metres. Not too shabby considering he wants to peak in 7/8 weeks time.

The article also tells us why he didn't really appear in 2017 - simply, Larcombe wanted to work on his strength and stamina without the risks associated with too much competing

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
this is an extract from the John Gikas story: I wondered how many potentially excellent white and Asian kids are trapped in this situation.

"John Gikas, 18, is not your conventional sprinter. “I was not a sporty kid. It was The King’s School that got me involved in sport,” said Gikas today. He is pinching himself that a kid who just sat at home eating peanut butter sandwiches and occupying himself with playstation is now one of the finest sprinters in Australia.
He played a little rugby in primary school with King’s school, then moved onto soccer in high school. But after a soccer tour of Europe with his school team in December 2015, he realised he would unlikely make it in Europe as there were so many good footballers playing the game. Upon his return he started to focus more on athletics"

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Some breaking news. I believe Kristoffer Hari is going to run track for the Arkansas Razorbacks. This would be a great
experience for him. He can have access to great facilities and good coaching. His dad has been his coach for the last four
to five years. We could see him make a serious pursuit of a sub 10. Hope the rumors are true.

sprintstar

Mentor
Didn't know Shae Anderson had committed to the University of Oregon Ducks, this should be a very interesting and exciting year for Oregon track fans. This girl has serious talent as we know and has a yuge upside. I hope Cunliffe's self indulgent personality does not rub off on Shae.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
A Czech athlete, Dominik Zalesky, ran a 6.62 60m a few days ago.
Very good early season time from a guy I never heard of.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the race. He was unpushed yet put up an excellent time. Good sign for this fine young sprinter.

mastermulti

Master
Good find:
I just researched him a little. Saw him run a fairly modest international 100 from 2016 (when he was 20) where he finished well down but still lowered his PB from 10.87 to 10.65. Then found a 60 metre race from last February where he lowered his PB from 6.80 to 6.75 .
Now, 11 months later at 22, he runs 6.61.
Sounds like good natural development as he matures.

Maslak comes home like a train here from June 2017. Zalesky's 4th looked about 10.42 to me. Probably a PB again from him.
I'll take a punt and say he'll break 10.30 this year if he is healthy all season.
Someone of interest fro us to watch.
Thanks Jack

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
it was OH so close for poor Jack Hale last night (report)
"Tasmanian Jack Hale earlier showed his move to Melbourne is paying off, taking out the hotly anticipated men’s 100m sprint.
But the 19-year-old had to deal with the frustration of running a Commonwealth Games A-qualifier with an illegal 2.1 tailwind.
Hale burnt off early leader Trae Williams of Queensland in the back end of the race, clocking what would have been a qualifier and personal best of 10.10sec.
Williams, 20, was next in at 10.21sec, with WA’s Aaron Bresland just behind him 10.25sec."

That is so frustrating - but 10.10 (2.1) means everything is heading in the right direction.
Accolades to his coach Adam Larcom for his decision to basically rest Jack last year. Jack put on bewteen 6 and 8kgs (13 to 17.5 lbs) of mostly muscle in that 12 months and he says he can feel the extra force he applies to the track

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
it was OH so close for poor Jack Hale last night (report)
"Tasmanian Jack Hale earlier showed his move to Melbourne is paying off, taking out the hotly anticipated men’s 100m sprint.
But the 19-year-old had to deal with the frustration of running a Commonwealth Games A-qualifier with an illegal 2.1 tailwind.
Hale burnt off early leader Trae Williams of Queensland in the back end of the race, clocking what would have been a qualifier and personal best of 10.10sec.
Williams, 20, was next in at 10.21sec, with WA’s Aaron Bresland just behind him 10.25sec."

That is so frustrating - but 10.10 (2.1) means everything is heading in the right direction.
Accolades to his coach Adam Larcom for his decision to basically rest Jack last year. Jack put on bewteen 6 and 8kgs (13 to 17.5 lbs) of mostly muscle in that 12 months and he says he can feel the extra force he applies to the track

Damn our sprinters have the worst luck with winds. Even Shirvo who had the negative winds or no winds in his fastest races. What could have been from back then!!

I'm very happy for Jack Hale. He is a phenomenal talent like K. Hari who I'm also very high on. They are both just 19 and the times will come. Hale in my opinion is the ultimate competitor. The kid hates to lose. All the great ones have this in common. He in my honest opinion will go on to run many sub 10's to become the greatest male sprinter in australian history. Could I be wrong? Yes there is always that chance but I doubt it. This kid is an incredible talent. Just please stay healthy.

On a side note, I think Trae Williams is also amazing. He reminds me so much of Julian Reus and he should have a very
long successful career. Good luck to both of these young sprinters. Exciting times from Down Under! :)

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot to post this a few threads up. Here is Jack Hale winning the Stalwell Gift! He had to
start way behing the other races yet caught and passed everyone of them. Great video to show some serious wheels.

mastermulti

Master
My dream would be to see these young Australian (all late teens to early 20s) all keep form and run our first sub 38 4 x 100 in April.
One of the reasons Hale moved to Melbourne was to be able to train regularly with his relay team mates

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
"In his first competition of the season, Sweden's Armand Duplantis cleared a world-leading height of 5.83m to improve his world indoor U20 record."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a short Jack Hale Montage. The one thing I want you guys to notice is how he has a forward lean when he is sprinting. Most sprinters are more upright but he is leaning forward the whole race. Very interesting change of styles. Even if it's a little unconventional it sure does work for him. I'm excited to see what he does this year after his slightly windy 10.10 today.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another quick interview with Jack. He is really focused. I'm so excited for the track season both indoors & especially outdoors!

sprintstar

Mentor
I really like Hale, Hari and Volko but I think the guy we are all forgetting is Tortu. I think he will go 10.00 or faster as well as going 20.01-20.05 in the 200m. BUT what a great time knowing there are so many young and upcoming male and female white sprinters!!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I really like Hale, Hari and Volko but I think the guy we are all forgetting is Tortu. I think he will go 10.00 or faster as well as going 20.01-20.05 in the 200m. BUT what a great time knowing there are so many young and upcoming male and female white sprinters!!

I agree about both Tortu and Volko. Exciting times indeed. I would love to see some white male american sprinters
but that is almost impossible in this racist country. I hope John Teeters continues sprinting. He is by far the best
100 meter white american sprinter I've ever seen as far as times. I know guys in the past like Bobby Morrow won medals
but the times were not near as fast back then. I think there are alot of Teeter types sprinters here but they end up going into
other sports.

I'm rooting for Emile Erasmus to go sub 10 this season. It sounds like he has changed some training techniques in preparation for the season..

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
good to see the excitement building. Each new season brings new promise - a rebirth, if you will.
After the indoors season we get to see the Commonwealth Games in Queensland, Australia in April. They virtually open the world 2018 outdoor season.

At last a competition where ours athletes don't have to try and peak twice in the year - that rarely works out.
It will also be "in season" for South Africa so hopefully, with Van Niekerk out injured, Erasmus will get his chance at representation

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to see what Tortu can do this year. He seems to be the brightest young star, with Volko the 2nd young star.
Another one that I am curious to see this season is Samuel Purola of Finland. He ran 10.31 (0.2w!) just a month-and-a-half after turning 17 yrs old.
I also want to see if Bruno Hortelano of Spain comes backs in 2018. He ran 10.06 and 20.12 in 2016, but was in a car accident and missed all of 2017.