2014 Washington Redskins

Upside

Mentor
Heh, where do I begin... I'm really not sure what Daniel Snyder is trying to prove here; he dumped his coach who has won 2 super bowls in favor of Griffin, a second year quarterback who appears to be nothing more than average, whose accuracy goes right out the window if he has to throw the ball more than 10 yards up field. If the screen pass is his secret weapon, this is probably not the QB that will lead you to the super bowl. With Shanahan out of the way, Kirk Cousins is unlikely to get an opportunity to compete for the starting job no matter how bad Griffin performs, so we're likely to suffer trough a few more years of below average play, despite ESPN's insistence that he is a star. Griffin, master of the the screen pass, has a David Garrard like ability to pile on most of his stats in the 4th quarter after the game has already been lost. So if that what gives Washington's DWFs their jollies, then good luck to them. There are a couple of position battles along the o-line:

RT - Tyler Polumbus vs. Morgan Moses ... Polumbus, a steady veteran should win this battle. Moses was very inconsistent in college, so I'm not sure what makes Washington think he will be any better in the NFL. On top of that, he now has to block for a scatterbrained QB that cant sit still in the pocket.

LG - Mike McGlynn vs. Shawn Lauvao ... Both have been starters for most of their careers, but I would have to give the edge to McGlynn, as Lauvao has clearly been the weak link on Cleveland's line for the last couple seasons.

No real noteworthy battles taking place on defense but they could sure use some help, particularly a Safety and ILB. I'll be curious to see what the plan will be with Trent Murphy. Will they put him on the line, move him to ILB or leave him at OLB. I'd give him a try at ILB as the Skins have big shoes to fill after Fletcher's retirement. Perry Riley is an ok option, but if Daryl Sharpton is the plan to fill that void in 2014, then its going to be a long year... Compounded by the fact that the fate of the Redskin secondary rests in the hands of one of the worst starting safeties in the game in Brandon Merriweather, last seasons failed project Baccari Rambo, and 35 year old Ryan Clark. Redskins' defense, particularly on the back end is sure to be laughable at best.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I think there's little chance of Cousins starting over Griffin. The Redskins have too much invested in Griffin.

If Griffin continues to fail I wonder what all those pundits who portrayed him as a superstar will say.

L

Lew

I think there's little chance of Cousins starting over Griffin. The Redskins have too much invested in Griffin.

If Griffin continues to fail I wonder what all those pundits who portrayed him as a superstar will say.
they'll just keep saying that he's still injured

PamelaOC

Banned

They'll change the subject and focus their whining on the Redskins' team name, calling it racist.

dwid

Hall of Famer
they'll just keep saying that he's still injured

and they can't even blame the injury on him, they keep blaming the coach for letting him in there. He is a grown man and could have sat out, it wouldnt have been the first time a player has done it.

that game he came back in
Andrews said Griffin "didn't even let us look at him."

"He came off the field, walked through the sidelines, circled back through the players, and took off back to the field. It wasn't our opinion," Andrews said. "Scared the hell out of me."

Andrews said he has been "holding my breath" and it is a "trying moment" when he watches Griffin play injured.
"I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has," Andrews said. "He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it."

" but i guess its still the White man trying to keep darkie down.

Claimjumper

Mentor
look for the Blackskins to be another team to be starting a lowly 3 whites:
Kory Liechtenstieger (C), Tyler Polumbus (RT), Ryan Kerrigan (LB)

Overall, 14 whites on the 53 man. 3 starters, 3 special teams, and 8 backups

Wait, we're seriously down to just *two* white O-linemen? This is going to be a train wreck.

Oh, and how about the #3 QB playing the entire final preseason game? How often does that happen when the #2 is healthy?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Wait, we're seriously down to just *two* white O-linemen? This is going to be a train wreck.

Oh, and how about the #3 QB playing the entire final preseason game? How often does that happen when the #2 is healthy?

Yea it's ridiculous. Colt McCoy played well. Cousins is obviously developing the way everyone wanted the anointed black savior gremlin the turd too. I honestly think that Shanahan had some balls and wanted to play Cousins - The gremlin was forced on him by his owner and then by the national media which hyped him up. Maybe Gruden will let the Gremlin fail and be able to have the justification to put in Cousins.

Woody

Guru
NT Chris Neild on IR...again. Redskins have Trent Murphy at OLB and he'll probably start next year with Ryan Kerrigan when we let Orakpo go. Gabe Miller has shown flashes at OLB, and Will Compton is developmental backup at ILB, could develop into a solid starter. So we could actually have a whiter than average defense in the future, but the offense looks like it will remain very dark for a long time.

Woody

Guru
So the Redskins would have 5 white defenders on the roster if Neild was healthy...just for perspective, the Eagles have the most white defenders on a roster with 7.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
NT Chris Neild on IR...again. Redskins have Trent Murphy at OLB and he'll probably start next year with Ryan Kerrigan when we let Orakpo go. Gabe Miller has shown flashes at OLB, and Will Compton is developmental backup at ILB, could develop into a solid starter. So we could actually have a whiter than average defense in the future, but the offense looks like it will remain very dark for a long time.
Well it looks like the former UDFA will get his shot. Very excited for the guy.

Redskins ILB Perry Riley has been diagnosed with a sprained MCL.

Speaking Tuesday, coach Jay Gruden admitted he was "concerned." Riley is undergoing additional testing. Riley was the Redskins' leading tackler last season, and signed a three-year, $13 million deal in March. Will Compton will slide in opposite Keenan Robinson for however long Riley is sidelined.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good for Compton! I was wondering about Neil I thought he had some potential coming out couple Years back just cantstay healthy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Riley's play declined last year and he was downright awful this season before his injury, so if Compton shows well he may be able to keep Riley's job.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Good news.

Redskins OLB Brian Orakpo has been diagnosed with a torn right pectoral and is out for the season.

He'll undergo surgery, and be replaced in the starting lineup by Trent Murphy. It's the third torn pectoral of Orakpo's career, although the first two were on his left side. Yet once again, a terrible Redskins defense in desperate need of playmakers is robbed of one. Orakpo had 12 quarterback hurries, six hits and one sack through seven games, also playing strong run defense. He'll enter free agency this spring as a high-risk, high-reward asset. Orakpo was on a one-year, $11.45 million franchise tender this season.
If Will Compton continues to start, the Skins will boast a 3/4ths White linebacker core.

Woody

Guru
Trent Murphy

One player who wasn't drafted to serve a racial apprenticeship is Trent Murphy.

The plan all along was for him to spell both Kerrigan and Orakpo his first year, and take over for Orakpo next year when we inevitably let him walk. Well now he's gotten his full time starting gig sooner than expected, but I want to say he was playing ~30% of the snaps pre Orakpo injury anyway.

He has played very well since starting, very happy the Skins drafted him. He was the complete anti Redskins pick; since it involved drafting a white player, not hyped, and had great credentials, great game tape, and who could contribute right away and filled a FUTURE need.

The regular Redskins plan is to draft a developmental character concern with a great 40 time and terrible football acumen, who fills a position group that is in shambles or a complete dumpster fire. This invariably leads to them starting right away with no competition or anyone to push/mentor them.

The regular Redskins plan is to draft a developmental character concern with a great 40 time and terrible football acumen, who fills a position group that is in shambles or a complete dumpster fire. This invariably leads to them starting right away with no competition or anyone to push/mentor them.

Not only true, but hilariously said as well.

One player who wasn't drafted to serve a racial apprenticeship is Trent Murphy.

That's one of the funniest depictions of a truth that could be applied to several teams I've ever read.