2010 Carolina Panthers

Truthteller

Mentor
Given the way Oliver Luck looks, and his academic and sports executive backround, I would think it's very possible he could be Jewish. However, we all know how this works: The minute an athlete garners any sort of acclaim, he will be sniffed out and put forth by the media if he is Jewish. So I say if Oliver (and his son Andrew) have not been "outed" (for the lack of a better word) by now, it's safe to assume they are non-Jewish.

I don't follow the draft that much, but I know the media is making a big deal about the OT from Wisconsin (Gabe Carimi?) being Jewish. Don't be surprised if he gets a lot more praise than guys like Anthony Constanzo and even the useless sumos.Hemight be theone "white guy" that won't face undeserved ridiculefrom the Jim Rome, Mike Greenberg and Adam Schefter types going forward. Look at howthe "draft gurus" constantly brought up the name Robert Gallery when talking about current Pro bowlers like Joe Thomas and Jake Long. They also labeled them not quite athletic enough forleft tackle andpegged them as"hard-workingright tackletypes, that will play 10 years based on grit and toughness".It will not happen to Gabe Carimi, be sure of that!!!

Jewish peoplelove "outing" athletes that have any hint of a Jewish name, or will dig even deeper to check both sides of the family. After the Pats 1st exhibition game in 2009, calls were pouring in to find out if Julian Edlenman was Jewish. He claimed to be half Jewish....Ike Davis of the Mets and Eric Nystrom and Mike Cammaleri (sp?) in the NHL have become instant media darlings because their mothers are Jewish.

Even declared gentiles like David Cone and David Eckstein have said they are constantly bombarded with questions of them being Jewish.Edited by: Truthteller

snow

Mentor
Its a trap, they want Luck to fail without getting a chance, he will be in the same situation Clausen is in, and then another prospect will come along and Luck will be tossed aside as a bust as well as Clausen. I think he will stay in college another year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I know y'all are already talking about this, but I have to post this story anyway. The angle I'm interested in is Luck and Harbaugh going to the same team, whenever they decide to do so. I heard some talking heads saying that the two were very close, a lot closer than most QBs and head coaches are. It might be nothing, but you never know these days.

Speaking of Steve Smith, I hope he is done for. Besides stinking it up lately, he is very small. I remember finding a pic of him a few years ago. It was clear that his jersey was so small, it was modified so the jersey maker's logo would still fit on the side of the shoulders. The double standard of treatment and descriptions between him and White athletes like Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker, and others is nauseating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday. <div>
<div><div>
</div>

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay says he will grade Stanford QB Andrew Luck as high as any QB prospect over the last 10 years.
</div></div>

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in
Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if
he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating
Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he
will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country
by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that
assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading
down in the draft if Luck is available.

Luck deflected questions on his future after Stanford's victory Monday night.

"I
think there are a lot of worse decisions you might have to make in
life," Luck said. "I don't mean to be rude, but I'd rather not address
that subject anymore."

There has been some
speculation that Luck and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh could be a package
deal. But in a news conference Tuesday to discuss the coaching search,
Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said the team has not had any contact
with Harbaugh. The team officials said they don't expect that to change.

The Panthers already have requested permission to interview San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and New York Giants
defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. Although the team officials said
they won't rule out candidates from the college ranks, they said the
hire likely will be an NFL coordinator.

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see Jimmy Clausen get a fair opportunity, so this isn't bad news to me:

Stanford University announced Thursday that QB Andrew Luck will stay for his Junior season in 2011.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>
Source: College Football Talk on Twitter

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Weenieworld celebrates the Panthers hiring a non-White coach by pronouncing final judgment on Jimmy Clausen:

New head coach Ron Rivera's top offensive priority is to find out if he has a franchise quarterback on his roster. He's going to figure out very quickly that Jimmy Clausen isn't the answer, much less a Philip Rivers in the making. It won't be a surprise if Carolina picks a QB at No. 1 overall. Rivera is looking for "balance, aggression, innovation" on offense. "We want to be able to adapt our offense to who we're playing," said Rivera. His choice for offensive coordinator will be more telling than his comments.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Since Ron Rivera is a defensive "guru" -- that likely seals the fact that Carolina will select DaQuan Bowers or Nick Fairley with the #1 pick.

Both are black, of course, but I thought I'd give my analysis on this little issue..

Bowers' "lacks speed off of the edge" -- but since he's black.. we will be treated to the idea that he's "an athletic freak." I would liken his frame to a "stocky/compact White man's frame" -- but, again, he's black so he's "top bell curve all the way." He does have a good motor and he's solid against the run, but not outer-worldly. It can't really be said that he's "better" against the run than J.J. Watt or Ryan Kerrigan. Watt is also better at creating "splash plays."

To compare Bowers' with former Clemson Tiger, Gaines Adams, is intriguing.. Adams' had a more "athletic-build" at 6-5 and 265 or so, that's what "scouts" fell in love with, but he was all-finesse and was lost in the NFL. I would say that Bowers' has a higher football IQ, but I'll temper that with the fact that he hardly got sacks as a frosh and sophomore.. another reason why I can't consider this "5-star" -- most-hyped Clemson player arriving on campus since the Fridge -- an "athletic freak." His "cred" is suspect and that can't be said about Ryan Kerrigan's Purdue career.

Now, Nick Fairley is kind of in the mold of Jay Ratliff (and both went to Auburn). Taller, longer-legged DTs, that, from a physiological standpoint, can potentially be more disruptive (to QBs) than short-stacks like Glenn Dorsey have been (read: non-existant..).

He's a dirty player, alright, but would easily be the better pick for Carolina from my observations. If that happens, then Denver might pick Bowers' at #2.. and what would that be? The 100th high-pick DE for Denver in the last several years?..

If you screw-up with these high-picks, we all know what happens.....

Deadlift

Hall of Famer

white is right

Hall of Famer
Truthteller said:
Given the way Oliver Luck looks, and his academic and sports executive backround, I would think it's very possible he could be Jewish. However, we all know how this works: The minute an athlete garners any sort of acclaim, he will be sniffed out and put forth by the media if he is Jewish. So I say if Oliver (and his son Andrew) have not been "outed" (for the lack of a better word) by now, it's safe to assume they are non-Jewish.
<div> </div>
<div>I don't follow the draft that much, but I know the media is making a big deal about the OT from Wisconsin (Gabe Carimi?) being Jewish. Don't be surprised if he gets a lot more praise than guys like Anthony Constanzo and even the useless sumos. He might be the one "white guy" that won't face undeserved ridicule from the Jim Rome, Mike Greenberg and Adam Schefter types going forward. Look at how the "draft gurus" constantly brought up the name Robert Gallery when talking about current Pro bowlers like Joe Thomas and Jake Long. They also labeled them not quite athletic enough for left tackle and pegged them as "hard-working right tackle types, that will play 10 years based on grit and toughness". It will not happen to Gabe Carimi, be sure of that!!!</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Jewish people love "outing" athletes that have any hint of a Jewish name, or will dig even deeper to check both sides of the family. After the Pats 1st exhibition game in 2009, calls were pouring in to find out if Julian Edlenman was Jewish. He claimed to be half Jewish....Ike Davis  of the Mets and Eric Nystrom and Mike Cammaleri (sp?) in the NHL have become instant media darlings because their mothers are Jewish.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Even declared gentiles like David Cone and David Eckstein have said they are constantly bombarded with questions of them being Jewish.</div>
I recall reading that if they could find Jewish players NYC baseball teams would sign them in the 40's and 50's. Baseball was one of the big sports that ethnically pandered over the years. I recall the swarthy John Lowenstein being thought of as Jewish not German gentile.

warhawk46

Guru
Haha, they labled Joe Thomas as not athletic enough??<div>I played against him in high school. He is from the Milwaukee area, the Brookfield suburb to be exact.</div><div>He is a 6'7" 310 lbs guy with no gut. He could have qualified for the Olympics had he tried to in the shot put. He was an outstanding high school basketball player. He is the very definition of the absolute ELITE ATHLETE.</div><div>
</div><div>I seem to remember his athleticism being lauded by draft gurus... it was his ability to dominate in the run-game that was questioned.</div><div>
</div><div>EDIT: Also just looked it up... Thomas ran a 4.9 forty yard dash as a 315 lbs offensive lineman. Amazing!</div>
Edited by: warhawk46

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
From Rotoworld:

<div ="re">

Panthers agreed to terms with TE Jeremy Shockey on a one-year contract.
</div>
<div ="impact">
Coach Ron Rivera made it clear in January that he would
target a "do-it-all" tight end after he and new coordinator Rob
Chudzinski watched Antonio Gates every day in practice. Chud has a
history of utilizing tight ends heavily, and he coached Shockey at the
University of Miami a decade ago. Shockey will play starter's snaps, but
he's not going to be a recommended fantasy pick. He's lost more than a
step after the catch, and the Panthers have major QB issues.
</div>

snow

Mentor
Good for him. Hopefully he is used to his fullest ability and less at a blocker (even though hes a great blocker) and put up some good numbers for at least another year or two. I don't think he has lost too much of a step if 100 percent healthy, Sean Payton would line him up wide quite a bit. Even if he did, he ran a 4.5 out of college. I know some think he hasn't lived up to his potential, but I think that is mainly due to his playing style and the fact that he should be playing receiver. He was 195 pounds out of high school and had to go the juco route. Was discovered I believe while Miami was looking at another player, he bulked up to 230 or so and got to 250 in the NFL. I think he would be a great physical receiver at 220, if we was able to run a 4.5 at such a higher weight. I think the added weight and playing te contributed to some of his injuries. He played injured for the past few years, and I believe it was that way for the Giants as well.
Edited by: snow

backrow

Hall of Famer
his new coordinator heavily used Gates, so there's hope for Jeremy. still, i'd rather see a younger TE in this system, maybe Gary Barnidge could finally see more snaps?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Unlike most spammers, he probably has a raw IQ slightly above 50 b/c he has figured out a way to mildly "disguise" his spamming by typing an elementary sentence about sports lol. Wow what a genius! (Sarcasm)

hitball11a

Re: do you tweak your colors/materials alot?

DD Comment: On small school old time player Bucky Pope of Catawba College:
Every time I see anything about Catawba football I think about that Bucky Pope story -- snubbed small school star, who turned into a potential N.F.L. mega-star as a rookie in 1964, but saw his career quicky destroyed by a knee injury. Closest thing we can think of in recent memory is Patrick Jeffers. But he wasn't a rookie when he had his one and only monster (half) season