2008 Auburn Tigers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Projected white starters for the 2008 season.

Offense

QB Chris Todd-in a fight for the position

TE Tommy Trott

LT Lee Ziemba

C Jason Bosley

RG Chaz Ramsey

RT Ryan Pugh

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tommy Tub-O-Lies resigns from his job at Auburn! This bit of news has made my week! I hope he never coaches again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8888372/Tuberville-resign s-at-Auburn-after-5-7-effort?FSO2&ATT=MA
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Tommy Tuberville stepped down Wednesday after 10 years as Auburn's coach, a reign that included a perfect season and a string of overachieving teams but ended with the worst record of his tenure.

Tuberville was 85-40 in his decade with Auburn, including a 13-0 season in 2004 when the Tigers finished No. 2 in the nation and won the Southeastern Conference title for the first time in 15 years. But Auburn went 5-7 this year and was routed 36-0 at the end by rival Alabama, currently ranked No. 1.

"The last 10 years have been a great time in my life, both professionally and personally," Tuberville said in a statement. "It's been a great place to coach and live, and we've had a lot of success along the way. I'm going to remain in Auburn and help the Auburn family however I can. I'm very appreciative of the coaches, players, staff and Auburn fans over the last decade."

Tuberville informed the players in a team meeting at the football complex after three days of meetings with Auburn officials. The players were not allowed to speak to the media as they walked out or lingered in the parking lot afterward.

"Tommy and I have had the opportunity to discuss the direction of the program," athletic director Jay Jacobs said in a statement. "Through those discussions, Tommy felt it would be in his and the program's best interest to step aside as Auburn's head football coach."

The Tigers lost six of their last seven games this season after a failed move to the spread offense that was abandoned - along with first-year offensive coordinator Tony Franklin - at midseason. Their first five SEC losses came by a combined 23 points, falling just short of the end zone on final drives against Arkansas and Georgia and twice losing by one point after missed PATs.

The season also included an ugly 3-2 win over Mississippi State.

Tuberville did not immediately return a call to his cell phone Wednesday. His contract was extended through 2013 after the previous season and was worth $3.3 million annually. It also included a $6 million buyout if he was fired after this season

Auburn's statement said the buyout will be paid but no state or university funds will be used. Jacobs is scheduled to hold a news conference Thursday morning to discuss the coaching change.

Tuberville had led the Tigers to 42 wins over the previous four seasons, the fifth-most in the country.

That included a six-year winning streak in the Iron Bowl to give the Tigers in-state bragging rights for longer than ever before. He went 7-3 against the Crimson Tide but the Tigers were handed their worst beating in the series in 42 years last weekend.

It didn't help that while they were struggling Alabama was going 12-0 under Nick Saban, winning the SEC West and rising to the top of the polls.

Tuberville met with university president Jay Gogue on Monday and followed that up with two days of meetings Jacobs.

Auburn's offense sputtered badly the past two seasons. Tuberville gambled with the hire of Franklin and a departure from the team's more traditional, run-oriented attack, going to the no-huddle, spread at a school noted for turning out NFL-caliber tailbacks.

The Tigers finished 11th in the Southeastern Conference and 110th of 119 teams in scoring offense, and a midstream switch back to the smashmouth style didn't help.

The biggest problems all were evident in the season finale against Alabama. The Tigers had three turnovers and never got clicking behind sophomore quarterback Kodi Burns while a talented defense that kept getting put back out on the field sputtered.

Auburn finished with its worst record since going 5-6 in 1999, Tuberville's debut season. The team went on to win the SEC West the following year and captured at least a share of the division title four other times.

The Tigers often overachieved but struggled in two seasons when much was expected of them, including this one. The 2003 Auburn team opened with a No. 6 ranking but finished 8-5. His perfect '04 squad opened at No. 17.

Tuberville joins Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom and Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer as SEC coaches stepping down this season after both teams also failed to live up to expectations.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I'm sure it will be tough for Tommy Tuberville to take the $6,000,000 buyout for a contract that was extended last year through the 2013 season.

This stuff is just out of control in college football.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Van, that is for sure. Things are nuts when it comes to coaches salaries. Good old Johnny Vaught didn't know what he was missing. In 1970, his last full year of coaching at Ole Miss, his salary was$25,000.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Big mouth Barkley says race was the factor in a black coach not being hired at Auburn. Here's the article in case you didn't hear the pathetic sound bytes. Funny how this article leaves out the negative comments hemade about "redneck fansdown there."
smiley11.gif

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8946384/Barkley-says-race -a-factor-in-hiring-of-Chizik?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Charles Barkley was pulling for Auburn to hire Turner Gill as football coach long before Gene Chizik emerged publicly as a candidate for the job.

Barkley's take on why his alma mater hired Chizik instead: Gill is a black coach, Chizik is white.

"I believe race had a factor. Of course I do," Barkley, a former Auburn and NBA star, said Monday in a phone interview with The Associated Press hours after Chizik was introduced. "First of all you can't compare these two, their records. That's not even close to being fair.

"I look at things from a commonsense standpoint, how do you interview Turner Gill and pick Gene Chizik over Turner Gill?"

Athletic director Jay Jacobs denied that race was a factor, saying he picked "the best fit for Auburn."

Chizik took over a difficult rebuilding project at Iowa State and went 5-19 in his first two seasons as a head coach after successful turns as defensive coordinator at Auburn and Texas.

Gill led Buffalo to a Mid-American Conference championship this season. The program was 10-69 in its first seven seasons in the MAC before Gill took over in 2006.

He was among the early candidates Auburn interviewed for the job. Chizik interviewed last Thursday and was hired two days later.

"I was really pulling for Turner Gill when the job first opened," said Barkley, who doesn't know Gill personally. "I went on a couple of (radio) shows in Alabama. I just can't believe they picked this guy over Turner Gill. I'm just in shock."

Then, Barkley said the decision "doesn't surprise me at all."

He said he agreed to serve on Auburn's search committee to hire a basketball coach before the 2004-05 season on the condition the school hire a black candidate. He pitched Mike Davis, Mike Anderson and Jeff Capel as worthy candidates, and says now all three wanted the job. Auburn hired Jeff Lebo.

"They said, 'We're ready to hire a black coach,"' Barkley said. "I figured out right away they were not going to hire a black coach."

He said he went public with his complaints.

"They kicked me off the committee the next day," he said. "I have kept the secret about that for quite awhile. Clearly it's got something to do with race."

Bart

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Then, Barkley said the decision "doesn't surprise me at all."

He said he agreed to serve on Auburn's search committee to hire a basketball coach before the 2004-05 season on the condition the school hire a black candidate. He pitched Mike Davis, Mike Anderson and Jeff Capel as worthy candidates, and says now all three wanted the job. Auburn hired Jeff Lebo.

How absurd! Who cares what Barkley thinks about racial matters. He openly campaignsfor his fellowBlacks to fill any and every position, so how does that give him any credibility? America is so upside down.

C Darwin

Mentor
I'm cool with race being a factor. How many white coaches are coaching at black universities?

bigunreal

Mentor
"Sir Charles" continues to prove he is one of the biggest idiots on the American scene. This clown-who without his genetic gift of great height would be lucky to hold any job on the bottom rung of the economic ladder-somehow feels qualified to chime in on all subjects.

Why is an ex-basketball player concerned with who a college football team hires as its coach? Why is his opinion worthy of being reported by the mainstream media? I just heard "Mike and Mike" genuflect before "Sir Charles" (without him even being there), falling all over themselves to see who could agree with him more. I think Golic won- which is no small accomplishment given how dedicated "Greenie" is to the concept of black superiority. Golic said it was "a joke" that only four coaches in division one are black. Curiously, he didn't state that it was "a joke" that there are so few whites playing RB, WR and CB in this same supposedly "racist" division.

Dickie "V" then chimed in on the subject. Again, what does an odious basketball commentator have to do with college football? This obnoxious Caste clown went ballistic about Auburn hiring a white coach, declaring that "this isn't the 80s" and "I thought we'd come farther as a society." Anyone who catches even a few moments of these shows each day will understand my pessimism regarding any eventual overturning of the Caste System.

Whenever any black coach is fired now, we know what to expect. The jock sniffers in the media will compare said black coach to some white coach and complain "what about him?" Now, whenever any white coach is hired, we also know what to expect. The same jock-sniffers will question why a black wasn't hired. The situation in Don King's America just keeps getting more ridiculous.

Edited by: bigunreal

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes bigunreal, it does keep getting more ridiculous by the day. Meanwhile my wife can't get a job that she has three years experience in because she doesn't know spanish.
smiley7.gif
smiley11.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"He said he agreed to serve on Auburn's search committee to hire a basketball coach before the 2004-05 season on the condition the school hire a black candidate."

Again we see how no black racist ever is harmed by being a racist. If a white commentator said this they'd be out the door. Look what hapened to Rush Limbaugh for stating the truth about Donovan McNabb.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In another article on this, Barkley mentioned that he worried about Gillfacing"racism" if hired by Auburnbecause he, like Barkley, has a white wife.

It's another example of how twisted andridiculous the racism industry has become in America -- stoking fears aboutpossible racismagainst these wealthy, privileged individuals becausethey havewhite trophy wives. Yes, the racism is so bad in Alabama thatthis buffoonhas spoken seriously of running for governor of the state, and likely will win when he does.

"Sir Charles" is a hypocrite of the first order. I wonder if he repeats the anti-white comments he regularlyspouts offto his blonde wifey. The fact thata semi-articulateclown's opinions onsocial issues are so often sought out by the white girlymen of the Caste media is indicative of how incredibly weak the black "community" is when it comes to offering up spokesmen and leaders. Edited by: Don Wassall

C Darwin

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I wonder if he repeats the anti-white comments he regularly spouts off to his blonde wifey.
Sadly, I would guess that he does. And maybe to his entire other side of the family.

Imagine having charles barkley as your son in law.

ho-lee-sh!t

GeneralLee

Does anybody think he could actually get elected Gov. of the Great state of Alabama? Please!! I hope not!!!
Alabama has gone for McCain big time he got over 60% of the vote.

johnnyboy

Guru
The biggest idiot in this story is the Auburn AD. i, like Barkley, can't believe he hired Chizik over Gill. anybody that knows what Gill did with a complete sh*t team like Buffalo knows the guy is a better pick than Chizik and his ten game losing streak. Auburn has now also given much more ammunition for the proponents of a "Rooney" rule in college football. expect to see the Rooney rule at the FBS level in no later than 2 years. thanks Auburn!

Charles bitches about race a lot. but i wonder how long will it take before some report gets the stones to ask him what he thinks about black coaches like Willingham or Croom, that just completely suck? someone should ask him if he thinks they're good coaches....and if he says yes, they should laugh him out of the building.

GeneralLee said:
Does anybody think he could actually get elected Gov. of the Great state of Alabama? Please!! I hope not!!!
Alabama has gone for McCain big time he got over 60% of the vote.

No, it would be very unlikely that Barkley could win governor in Alabama. If he were to do this, I would be the first to campaign for whoever's running against him, as long as it's not Mr. Caste Nick Saban!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Electric Slide said:
No, it would be very unlikely that Barkley could win governor in Alabama.

If Barkley runs as a Republican he could be elected. Rush Limbaugh makes a big deal over Barkley and he is one of the few people interviewed on his show. Barkley is often called a Republican even though he never says anything remotely conservative. If he really isa Repub it must be for purely economic reasons only.

In a state like Alabama with a large black population, Barkley would carry nearly all of the black vote even though almost all blacks are registered Democrat. He would also carry some of the white "dittohead"/DWF vote, as he would be the darling of Limbaugh and other neo-con and Judaized-Christianpropagandists. It would hinge on whether enough white Republicans would vote for him to win. Edited by: Don Wassall

fjsdlra

Don Wassall said:
Electric Slide said:
No, it would be very unlikely that Barkley could win governor in Alabama.

If Barkley runs as a Republican he could be elected.  Rush Limbaugh makes a big deal over Barkley and he is one of the few people interviewed on his show.  Barkley is often called a Republican even though he never says anything remotely conservative.  If he really is a Repub it must be for purely economic reasons only. 

In a state like Alabama with a large black population, Barkley would carry nearly all of the black vote even though almost all blacks are registered Democrat.  He would also carry some of the white "dittohead"/DWF vote, as he would be the darling of Limbaugh and other neo-con and Judaized-Christian propagandists.  It would hinge on whether enough white Republicans would vote for him to win. 

There is no way Barkley will run as a Republican.He supported Obama.Also Barkley has said that he will run as an Independent for governor.Relying mostly on the black vote to win as governor isn't going to help him much.If that was so,Obama would have won this state.Barkley would win the mostly black counties in south Alabama and he would win Jefferson county,where Birmingham is,but thats about it.

I live in Alabama and I don't think he will win.The majority of older white voters here will not vote for him because he is black.And old white people usually get out to vote more than anyone else here.But the bad thing is the media in this state loves him no matter what he says or does.Edited by: fjsdlra

bigunreal

Mentor
I think we're overestimating the number of white voters would would vote against Barkley. At this point, I believe just about any black celebrity could get elected to public office just about anywhere in the country. I think Oprah could be president if she wanted. She'd get 99% of the black vote and almost as high a percentage of the white female vote.

As more older Americans die, and younger ones become old enough to vote, the situation will just get worse. Each new voter today was immersed in intense propaganda, via MTV, Nickeloden, the Disney Channel, etc. as well as the glorification of black males in the NFL, NBA and MLB, from the moment they were old enough to focus their eyes on a television screen. Most of them cannot be reasoned with, unless they are deprogrammed like Moonies or members of some other cult.

I think Sir Charles would be welcomed into the Republican party with open arms. All "conservatives" would love him. J.C. Watts was a college QB who was deemed "qualified" to be a member of Congress by a party that was desperate to find a black face to promote. Remember, this is the same Stupid party that was interested in recruiting Don King, perhaps the most objectionable American of all time.

We should all hope that Sir Charles (and any other high profile black) is too fat and lazy to run for office. That's the only thing that will keep us from a future filled with Oprahs, Will Smiths, Lil' Waynes, Jay Zs, etc. as our elected representatives. For those of you who haven't seen it, I highly recommend the movie "Idiocracy." There's a lot of truth in its vision of a bleak future, with incredibly stupid people and incredibly stupid leaders.

fjsdlra

bigunreal said:
As more older Americans die, and younger ones become old enough to vote, the situation will just get worse. Each new voter today was immersed in intense propaganda, via MTV, Nickeloden, the Disney Channel, etc. as well as the glorification of black males in the NFL, NBA and MLB, from the moment they were old enough to focus their eyes on a television screen. Most of them cannot be reasoned with, unless they are deprogrammed like Moonies or members of some other cult.

Thats the sad truth about this country today.If Obama could have ran 20 years ago for president,he probably wouldn't have stood a chance.But older white people are dying out,being replaced by brainwashed young ones.

One thing that I failed to mention in my previous post on this is that if Barkley does run as an independent (as he says he will),that the majority of white voters might split between the republican and democrat candidates.The black voters,ignorant white sports fans,and negro-worshipping young whites and many women will all vote for him and give him a good chance to win.I didn't think about that when I wrote the earlier post,but its something that worries me.

Edited by: fjsdlra