2007 Patriots

PhillyBirds

Mentor
It didn't look intentional to me, but one must take into account the so-called "Kimo Clause", named for Kimo von Oelhoffen, the defensive lineman who caused Carson Palmer's injury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimo_Von_Oelhoffen

From the article:

The so-called "Kimo Clause" now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

I think he was still being pushed by the offensive lineman, personally.

bigunreal

Mentor
For those that don't know, Matt Cassel was a backup QB at USC. He never started a game in college, playing behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinert. In an incredible irony, he now is handed the starting job on the league's most powerful offensive team, while Leinert is a backup with the woeful Cardinals.

Bart

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
It didn't look intentional to me, but one must take into account the so-called "Kimo Clause", named for Kimo von Oelhoffen, the defensive lineman who caused Carson Palmer's injury.

From the article:

The so-called "Kimo Clause" now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

I think he was still being pushed by the offensive lineman, personally.

The rules are very clear, and Brady was definitely hit too low. The video at NFL.com shows it from a different angle. The safety was notpushed into Brady. Watch it and see for yourself. He nailed Tom in the knee with his helmet. He should have been called for a violation. How do you say for sure it was intentional or not? You can't, but he didn't try to bring him down with his arm, he battered him with his helmet. All, I know is Brady loses an entire year in his prime.Can he regain his form or even be able to play again? Who knows?! One of the best ever white players taken out by an illegal at best move.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80aa5f0a

The diferent angle begins at the 3:25 mark. I don't think he was pushed into Brady. He was down on all fours after struggling with and facing the running back, then lunged to his right towards Brady. It was not a case of momentum, in my opinion. Edited by: Bart

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The guy seemed apologetic to me. He was just trying to get the sack IMO and acted on football instincts. Bart I can't say it's outside the realm of possibility that he was taking a big cheap shot at the best QB in the league even to risk suspension, but I really don't think so. Just part of the game, the NFL is a very rough sport and bad things happen even very bad ones...think Kevin Everett.

It does seem that with white RBs and WRs though that there are a small number of blacks that go out of their way to deliver absolutely crushing hits to intimidate the white man at the supposedly black mans chosen position much more than their fellow black skill players. However, pretty much most of these guys are just trying to play football, it's what makes them rich. Actually too rich.

I got absolutely killed in fantasy b/c I had Brady as my QB.
smiley19.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
It does seem that with white RBs and WRs though that there are a small number of blacks that go out of their way to deliver absolutely crushing hits to intimidate the white man at the supposedly black mans chosen position much more than their fellow black skill players.

I saw that happen last week with Jared Hawkins, but he got right up andshut em up with a big gainer.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah I would have to admit that the urban black athlete type can resent an athletic white man. Blacks only have one team sport where they can claim a false dominance over whites. We whites have shown we can compete in basketball although the NBA continues to have a caste system, just not as bad as the NFL.

Hopefully teams will begin to get rid of the racist black types because they are usually the locker room cancers and the ones that get into legal trouble too IMO. Any racist black in football along with the coaches, media and drunken fans are all part of the problem.

Intelligent GMs and college football recruiters/scouts are aware of the caste system because they can analyze game film correctly, but have to tout the line or risk their jobs and false claims of white favoritism from the "Rivals" media and rowdy fans.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

DWFan

Mentor
About 8-10 years ago my favorite player was Patrick Jeffers (not sure what happened to him). Whenever I got the chance to watch Panthers games I always noticed him as being the recipient of blows far more harsh than those given to other WRs (i.e. black WRs).

guest301

Hall of Famer
DWFan said:
About 8-10 years ago my favorite player was Patrick Jeffers (not sure what happened to him).  Whenever I got the chance to watch Panthers games I always noticed him as being the recipient of blows far more harsh than those given to other WRs (i.e. black WRs).

Yes I remember Patrick Jeffers. He had a breakout game for the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day a few years ago before he went to the Panthers. I think injuries and cheapshots ended his career early.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From CF's Wide Receiver Archives:

(9/1/02) Jeffers was released by the Panthers, an acknowledgement that his rehab, now going into its third year, is not going along well and the team didn't want to pay him anymore. What a sad, sad ending to what could have been if Jeffers' career is over.

(8/21/02) Few people, even those who follow the NFL closely, realize how brilliant Patrick Jeffers was in 1999. He had 63 receptions for 1,082 yards (his average of 17.2 yards per catch was third best in the league) and 12 TDs (tied for 2nd in the league), but what is most impressive is that he did it in little more than half a season, and especially toward the end of the season.

Jeffers didn't become a starter until the 7th game of the season in '99. Before that he had only six receptions. Here's what Jeffers did after becoming a starter:

▪ 11/7 vs. Philadelphia - 2 catches for 30 yards, including a 21-yard TD

▪ 11/14 vs. St. Louis - 3 catches for 43 yards

▪ 11/21 vs. Cleveland - 3 catches for 34 yards

▪ 11/28 vs. Atlanta - 3 catches for 31 yards and 1 TD

▪ 12/5 vs. St. Louis - 7 catches for 107 yards, and a 71-yard TD

▪ 12/12 vs. Green Bay - 8 catches for 147 yards and TDs of 35 and 38 yards

▪ 12/18 vs. San Francisco - 8 catches for 155 yards and a 55-yard TD

▪ 12/26 vs. Pittsburgh - 5 catches for 160 yards in the snow at Pittsburgh, including TDs of 88 and 43 yards

▪ 1/2 vs. New Orleans - 7 catches for 165 yards with TD catches of 40 and 32 yards

Jeffers ended the '99 season with five straight 100+ receiving games, only two shy of the record, and, most impressively, in those five games he had 8 touchdown catches, all over 30 yards. He continually beat defensive backs with his speed and graceful moves as he broke one big play after another. It is highly unlikely that any NFL receiver has ever had such an amazing stretch of productivity. If Jeffers had been a starter for the entire season instead of just the last nine games he might have broken the single season record for yardage and TDs.

Were Jeffers black he would have been made into a household name, ala Randy Moss. Jeffers outproduced Moss and every other receiver in the NFL for the last 2/3 of 1999, yet received little notoriety.

Jeffers is 6'3" 218 lbs. He went to college at Virginia, where he was, needless to say given his race, a walk-on. From that lowly start he ended up fourth on the school's all-time receiving charts. He was drafted by Denver in 1996, but warmed the bench until being traded to Dallas at the beginning of the 1998 season. Given a chance at the end of '98, Jeffers was very effective, catching 18 balls for 330 yards (18.3 yards per catch) with 2 TDs, including a dramatic 60-yarder from Troy Aikman during the nationally televised Thanksgiving game, following which the announcers said nothing about him other than his name. He was also Dallas' only effective offensive weapon in the team's subsequent playoff loss to Arizona.

However, following the '98 season, there was a large hue and cry that the Cowboys were in desperate need of a number two receiver behind the rapidly declining Michael Irvin. Although Aikman spoke highly of Jeffers and wanted the team to re-sign him, Patrick signed with Carolina as a restricted free agent. The Cowboys could have retained by matching Carolina's offer but declined to do so and Jeffers went on to his breakout '99 season.

It was four long years before this remarkable talent was finally given an opportunity, and he responded in an unforgettable way. Sadly, that brilliant '99 season may be the last memory his fans have of him, as Jeffers suffered a torn ACL in his right knee after running a meaningless two-yard route in an exhibition game in August 2000 and missed the entire '00 season. He has had two surgeries in one knee and one in the other since tearing his ACL. He was limited in '01 to just 14 catches and 127 yards. Various reports indicate he may not be able to play again in '02 and that he will retire or be released. It is a sad turn of events for a college walk-on and NFL benchwarmer who was unstoppable when given the chance to produce.