2006 Arkansas Razorbacks

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected starting white Hogs for 2006. What a change from 1998, Houston Nutt's first year as coach.

Offense
QB-Mitch Mustain
FB-Peyton Hillis
LG-Stephen Parker
C-Jonathan Luigs
LT-Zac Tubbs

Defense
MLB-Weston Dacus

Look for TE Mason Templeton to see some action this year.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton Hillis could end up at TB for the first game, depending on how the next 3 weeks go, but he will definitely get more carries and passes thrown to him, even from the FB position, at least until McFadden gets back to 100%. Here's to hoping he makes the most out of his increased role as possible. It seems Nutt is really praising him now that he has to depend on him more. Funny what an injury will do.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton Hillis carried 4 times for 15 yards and caught more than one pass, of which one was a 26 yard gainer from Mustain. QB Casey Dick was held out of it because of an injury.

Freshman Mitch Mustain did pretty well in his first Arkansas scrimmage. He was five-of-eight for 70 yards and a TD and Int. His TD was to white WR John Aaron Rees. Here is a description of the incredible pass and catch.

With Rees double covered over the top by the safety and to the inside by the cornerback, Mustain threw to Rees' back shoulder. Rees adjusted to the pass and made the catch in the end zone, just inside the front pylon.

Like the gunslingers at the next level, Mustain recognized that Rees' back shoulder was the only target the ball could be thrown to. Aware that the cornerback had sight of Rees but not of a potential pass, Mustain zipped the ball past the oblivious defender.

" We were in the red zone and the safety was coming over the top and the corner was right on [Rees ], " Mustain said. " It's just one those instinct things. It's natural to keep the ball away from the defender. We were just lucky that the corner wasn't looking. "

Earlier in the scrimmage, Mustain exhibited the inexperience of youth after junior free safety Matt Hewitt intercepted an underthrown pass intended for Damian Williams. Two plays later, freshman cornerback Ramon Broadway jumped an out route in the right flat and dropped what would've been Mustain's second interception.

Mustain redeemed himself on the next series, hitting Peyton Hillis for 26 yards on a bootleg right. Two plays later, he completed a quick slant to Williams for 8 yards. After runs by Felix Jones and Hillis, Mustain threaded the touchdown pass between two defenders and the boundary to Rees.

Rees said the throw to his back shoulder wasn't scripted. He and Mustain adlibbed it. By working together in practice, Rees said he and the receivers have an almost extra-sensory link with the quarterbacks.

" He had to throw it like that because it was the only place he could, " Rees said. " You try to make the throw where ever the [defensive back ] isn't. We've been working so much together that things like that are almost like a sixth sense. "

Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said he was impressed with Mustain and Rees' unspoken communication, considering how difficult it is for a quarterback to develop timing and chemistry with each of 18 different receivers.

" That's real special, " Malzahn said. " The thing that stands out is we have 18 receivers and those two are able to get something like that going. They had a touchdown in Friday's practice. They're starting to hook up pretty good. "

Here's some more on the future Mustain to Rees connection. I hope to see this a lot.

Rees said he expects the receivers' rapport with Mustain and the other quarterbacks to grow stronger by the time fall practice concludes.

" We're doing this only after one week, " Rees said. " I can't imagine how much we'll come together after working with each other for a month. "

Rees also caught an 18-yard pass from Robert Johnson, setting up a 2-yard Hillis touchdown run. Just as he did on the touchdown pass from Mustain, Rees adjusted to Johnson's low pass, away from two defenders.

" It was a skinny post and I split the safeties, " Rees said. " I slid down to catch it. Robert made a nice throw. Sometimes you just have to go to where the ball is and be an athlete. "

Rees was a special teams player last year as a freshman, playing in nine games. He recovered a blocked punt in the fourth quarter against Alabama, setting up a field goal.

Rees graduated from Pulaski Academy, where in 2003 he caught 75 passes for 1, 347 yards and 17 touchdowns to help the Bruins to their first state championship.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as an extra tidbit, Rees is a walk-on. go figure.

after his stellar high school career, Arkansas neglected to offer a scholarship, but they did "graciously" say that they would welcome Mr. John Aaron Rees if he wanted to try and walk-on.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I knew I had never heard of him before now, that would explain why.
smiley5.gif
Maybe he will be a second receiver this year and get some TD's.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
good luck! the latest reports from up in Fayetteville project black qb robert johnson as the favorite to start the season against USC.

Casey Dick, who ended the seasaon last year as the starter and impressed, has been unable to practice much due to a back injury that the team has been unwilling to discuss further.

high school Player of the Year, Mitch Mustain, has looked brilliant at times but made several typical freshman mistakes thus far, and it appears that the staff is favoring johnson as of right now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
May not be a bad idea actually. Let Johnson show his colors against USC and then we won't see him anymore. It could be a way to get Mustain in as starter earlier. I feel bad for Dick though, but I still think he will start several games.

Triad

Mentor
There are plenty of rumors coming out of Hogville about animosity between the university and their Springdale recruits (and Coach). Some of the locals fill us in.

ESPN articleEdited by: Triad

Samuel Hain

Lets see:The state is rife with rumors over whether Mitch Mustain will even be there next year. A few weeks ago disgruntaled parents of the Springdale players met athletic director Frank Broyles.I don't this has ever happened before in Arkansas history. The parents said they were told that the Arkansas offense would be redone so that it would resemble the offense Gus Malzahn ran at Springdale, Broyles, however, told them that he had had the "experts" look at that style of offense and he was told it could not be successful in the SEC. It appears a book called Year Of The Dog, about the Springdale Bulldogs was recently released and in it Mitch Mustain, when eh was a senior, made some rather nasty coments about Arkansas coach Houstan Nutt during the recruitment process. Its a mess and sports radio is full of it every afternoon. A 10/3 team should not have this much drama.Indeed the Razorback program appears to have more drama following it then a teenaged stripper!
On a more postive note, Peyton Hillis is healthy once more and will play in the bowl games new years day.Edited by: Samuel Hain

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Maybe now that I'm back in listening distance of the Hog Press, I can get back in the know on the controversy. I'm glad Peyton Hillis will be playing in the Bowl Game, and I hope he gets more than a couple of carries and catches.