Sergei Lyakhovich

Westside

Hall of Famer
I think he was convicted for manslaughter. And to be honest he did put on some good cards where there muliple marquee fighters on the same card. Like Holmes and Duran. I think alcohol abuse by Jerry took his edge off. Like his last fight against Clay, he looked soft and at times drunk.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
white is right said:
Guys King's influence has greatly declined. He hasn't had a top draw for about 10 years and increasingly is staging poorer shows.
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>Seems like he's been around forever. I just checked his age (soon to be 79). That's damn old for a black American male; thankfully his promoting days can't last much longer.</div>

I was at the Adamek-Cunningham fight in December of 2008. There weren't more than a handful of blacks at the fight. Thousands of Polish people came to support Adamek. When I was in the bathroom with my buddies a black guy walks in. He started complaining the King is a fraud and he's on his way out. I thought it was funny.

Blue Devils

Mentor
lost said:
Don Wassall said:
white is right said:
Guys King's influence has greatly declined. He hasn't had a top draw for about 10 years and increasingly is staging poorer shows.
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div>Seems like he's been around forever.  I just checked his age (soon to be 79).  That's damn old for a black American male; thankfully his promoting days can't last much longer.</div>
Yea! he go's all the way back to about 1970! I remember he got the president of zaire to put up all the money for the Muhamad ali vs George foreman fight! So big "Gorge" could duck jerry Quarry! It was rumored that Quarry had made a fool of big "Gorge" in sparring with his counter punching! And That was somthing that made the media and king's blood run cold!
Foreman admits to "avoiding" Quarry in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXk1d095V8

Blue Devils

Mentor
Main Events Inks Liakhovich
Former WBO Heavyweight Champion Siarhei Liakhovich and Main Events CEO Kathy Duva announced today that they have entered into a promotional agreement. Nicknamed "The White Wolf,"Â￾ Liakhovich has earned a professional record of 25-3, 16 KO's. As an amateur, the current Scottsdale, AZ resident compiled a record of 145-5, was a member of the '96 Olympic team from his home in Belarus and won a bronze medal at the 1997 World Championships. Liakhovich won the WBO Heavyweight Title in 2006 when he scored a 12-round decision over Lamon Brewster in Cleveland, Ohio. In his most recent bout, Liakhovich scored a ninth round KO over Evans Quinn in Germany.

"There is no doubt that Siarhei has what it takes to be competitive in the heavyweight division,"Â￾ Duva said. "There are three heavyweight champions right now and it is our goal to put Siarhei in a position to challenge for one of their titles before the end of the year. We are delighted to be working with a fantastic team that includes Siarhei, his manager Tony Cardinale and trainer Tommy Brooks. "Â￾

Tony Cardinale added, "I am happy for Sergei to be with one of the most respected and hardest working promoters in the industry. With their support and his ability it is just a matter of time before he is a two-time world heavyweight champion."Â￾

Liakhovich had this to say, "First of all I would like to thank God for everything that has happened in my life: I am thrilled to have a newborn son; and I have a brand new team with well known and respected Tony Cardinale as my Advisor and Attorney and Main Events as my new Promoter. With their history and reputation in boxing business I know I am finally with the right team."Â￾ Liakhovich added, "I am very impressed with how hard Main Events work for their fighters. I know that they will work hard for me outside the ring and I can do my job in the ring."Â￾

Liakhovich spoke about his upcoming fight, "I can't wait to get back in the ring as soon as possible. My last two wins were in Germany and now I am glad to be fighting in US again. Thank you to all my fans for their support over the years, I would love to see all of them in New Jersey. This is a great new chapter for me. My first step in becoming a World Champion again!"Â￾

The trouble with Lyakhovich like many of the eastern european heavyweights, being world champion dosen't mean anything to them, boxing is just a way to make money in a foreign land,
boxing is just a piggy bank to Lyakhovich, being the "world heavyweight boxing champion" to them is like being the"Tibetan world Yak wrestling champion" to us..

ww

Guru
I don't have a handle on this guy. He looked superb against Brewster; I think he deliberately lost to Briggs; he didn't fight at all on '07; lost to lost to Valuev in '08; and one fight per year afterward vs. mediocre opponents.

ww said:
I don't have a handle on this guy. He looked superb against Brewster; I think he deliberately lost to Briggs; he didn't fight at all on '07; lost to lost to Valuev in '08; and one fight per year afterward vs. mediocre opponents.
Lyakhovich only fights when his money starts running out..

ww

Guru
Is that what he's about? Maybe they paid him a lot of money to let Briggs sock him on his kisser then.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Well...to be fair to Sergei, he's had a lot of injuries and promotional problems in recent years. For instance, he went into the Valuev fight with a torn rotator cuff. Signing with Don King was almost the nail in the coffin for his career. As you guys know, King is notorious for signing guys and keeping them on the sidelines for months.

Main Events is making a comeback with Adamek and Zab Judah. They've kept Adamek busy fighting every 3-4 months. They'll keep Liakhovich active this year and maybe get him a title shot early next year. Assuming he wins and looks good. Best career move he could've made IMO.

He'll probably fight on the Adamek-McBride undercard in April.

white is right

Hall of Famer
ww said:
I don't have a handle on this guy.  He looked superb against Brewster;  I think he deliberately lost to Briggs;  he didn't fight at all on '07;  lost to lost to Valuev in '08;  and one fight per year afterward vs. mediocre opponents.
The Brewster fight might have ruined him. The fight was the equivalent of Ali vs Frazier III with less hype. The Briggs fight he looked flat and incompetent ref work cost him his title. Technically he should have gotten 20 seconds to get back in the ring and not have been counted out as he fell through the ropes and the time clock went past 3 minutes. I have seen press members and officials help guys back into the ring. Even though the Wolf was in no position to continue because he was too badly concussed from the fall and being groggy before the fall. It didn't matter as the fight would have been over as he entered the ring. Unlike Rockhead against Maskeav where it was still the 8th round or so. Edited by: white is right

ww

Guru
What I mainly remember about his fight with Briggs, in which, as you said, he looked flat, but was clearly ahead in the scoring up until the final round, was his corner screaming in his face, begging him, to box and stay the hell away from Briggs whose only chance was to knock him out in the final round - and there went Lyak., seemingly deliberately standing right in front of Briggs with his chin sticking out for him.

I wonder if that round is on Youtube, because that's the way I remember it.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
ww said:
I don't have a handle on this guy.  He looked superb against Brewster;  I think he deliberately lost to Briggs;  he didn't fight at all on '07;  lost to lost to Valuev in '08;  and one fight per year afterward vs. mediocre opponents.
Lyakhovich looked okay and won by KO in his fight with Quinn last year, on the Meehan-Chagaev card.

Don King kept him inactive for long periods of time, and wouldn't let him sign with another promoter. Lyakhovich wasn't sharp after the long layoffs, except in the Brewster fight after many months of inactivity. I'm not sure why he wasn't in better shape for the Briggs fight.

Timor Ibragimov signed a one-year contract with Don King, and was just kept inactive for a year. A decent European prospect Mario Preskar signed with King, and was ruined by inactivity. Don't expect Andreas Kotelnik to fight again until his contract with King runs out.

King does it to his negro boxers too: Ray Austin, Guillermo Jones, Larry Donald, etc. He's an extremely selfish, short-sighted man who isn't capable of looking out for the interests of anyone except himself.

white is right

Hall of Famer
ww said:
What I mainly remember about his fight with Briggs, in which, as you said, he looked flat, but was clearly ahead in the scoring up until the final round, was his corner screaming in his face, begging him, to box and stay the hell away from Briggs whose only chance was to knock him out in the final round - and there went Lyak., seemingly deliberately standing right in front of Briggs with his chin sticking out for him. I wonder if that round is on Youtube, because that's the way I remember it.
I forgot how badly hurt the Wolf was before he fell through the ropes. I might have stopped the fight after the first knockdown. But if you didn't which this referee didn't then he should have given the 20 count. Here is the round...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSyecoVbn4&feature=related

warhawk46

Guru
Layakhovich kind of reminds me of Andrew Golota, not quite as athletic but a big, strong guy who can look dominant one night and utterly disinterested others. Shame, because he has the tools to go to the top again.

ww said:
Is that what he's about? Maybe they paid him a lot of money to let Briggs sock him on his kisser then.
I dont know if he waspaidoff, but its clear boxing is only about the money to Lyakhovich, I remember someone asking him what his plans were after the Briggs fight
and as I recall he said something about going on a hunting safari, didn't sound much like a man too hurt
over the loss of hisworld title.
smiley5.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
Blue Devils, last night I viewed the Brewster fight. I was amazed at Sergei's boxing ability and stamina in that great fight. I hope this time he means it. Having the addition of Tommy Brooks is a big plus. I just hope he hired a strength and condition coach as well who will get him into optium shape.

If Sergei prepares properly and focus like a lazer beam he can make some big noise again, especially with any affeletic / White American fighter.

Blue Devils

Mentor
The White Wolf will face unbeaten afflete Bryant Jennings 12-0 (5) next month. The match will be shown live on NBC Sports Network.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Lyakhovich can bounce back after his tough loss to Helenius with a decisive win over the undefeated Jennings.

Westside

Hall of Famer
If Sergei comes into that fight in the same condition as the Hellenius fight, chances are good that he will dominate with a UD or late KO.

Blue Devils

Mentor
The odds are surprisingly low for Liakhovich-Jennings :suspicious:

I see a lot of people picking Jennings to win :nono: I can't see it to be honest unless Siarhei is completely shot.

Blue Devils

Mentor
32312judah002.jpg

Weights: Siarhei Liakhovich 231 vs. Bryant Jennings 219.5

Liakhovich Interview

Fightnews: That you for taking time to speak with us Siarhei. This is a rare second chance to fight on NBC for you. Did you expect another NBC fight to come together after the Eddie Chambers fight fell through?

SL: First of all, I am lucky to get back in the ring and fight.

Fightnews: What do you know about your opponent Bryant Jennings?

SL: What I know about him is he is a young guy and he will want to wear different shoes. He will try to box and try to be in the ring with the big dogs. But we will see. We’ll see.

Fightnews: Do you think he is in over his head?

SL: I don’t know. A guy like that, a guy who wants a challenge, I respect that. I will do what I need to do, we see what will happen. But I am ready for the fight.

Fightnews: What is your game plan?

SL: Simple. To go there and win.

Fightnews: There was little question that a win over Eddie Chambers could have put you back into the top ten. What do you see for your career if you win on the 24th?

SL: This fight is like every other fight. It will be a fight, first of all. A fight is a fight.
Fightnews: You talked about Arreola before. Without looking past your opponent, what is your timetable for an Arreola fight or world title fight?

SL: I don’t know. We will see how I box in this fight, and then we’ll see what happens and then I want to discuss things with my manager and promoter and we’ll go from there.
Fightnews: You have another TV fight. How important is it to look good and look dominant?

SL: It is very important, my last four or five fights were overseas. I want to be active. But I fought my last four fights overseas, and this is a fight here, it will be great exposure. Thank you to NBC, my promoter, and my manager. I am glad to fighting in the US again.

Fightnews: Do you predict a KO?

(Laughing) I don’t want to predict anything, a fight is a fight.

Fightnews: What is your game plan for the 24th?
SL: To go there and win.