Sergei Lyakhovich

white is right

Hall of Famer
The White Wolf may have Kevin Mcbride linedup for a first defense, not a thrilling bout as Mcbride is real plodder. Mcbride could test the wolf's stamina as he may lean on him with his big frame........

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Lyakhovich was ruined by the despicable Don King, who kept him inactive for long periods of time.

He signed him, then kept him inactive for 16 months, then gave him the shot against Brewster. Six months later, Lyakhovich lost a fight by getting KOed with one second remaining, in a fight where he was ahead on the scorecards. Then, King kept him inactive for for another 14 months, including all of 2007. He was then given a title shot against Valuev, in which he came in overweight and didn't fight very well. Then, King kept him inactive for another year...

Now he's apparently free of Don King.

King has done the same to other fighters. He signed promising young Mario Preskar, then kept him inactive for a year. He signed Timor Ibragimov after his win over Hoffmann, and kept him inactive for a year.

Good article on Timor Ibragimov

The Hock

Master
Seems that Lyakhovich is on the Corrie Sanders career track. Talented white heavy with the occasional fighter attitude. It's hard to reach the top when you have to come out of hibernation for every fight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
He is a good fighter. He should have beaten Shannon Briggs. He was too cautious the whole fight even though he was ahead on the cards. I am surprised he lost to Valuev and by such a wide decision.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Sergei seems to be one of the few white fighters (and white athletes in general) that seems lazy and unmotovated.

Before the last-second title loss the Briggs, he was coming into fights with more and more flab.

I doubt he'll ever compete for a title again. At one point, I thought The White Wolf would be the only guy to have a chance against WK. His fight with Valuev was super-boring and uninspired (as are 100% of Valuev's fights).

I hope I'm wrong.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes he has come in out of shape to his last several fights.He could have been a force if he put more dedication into his training. I still think he can beat Toney though.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I would love to see Liakohovich vs that fat racist Toney. Toney was the one who said there will never be a white heavyweight champion and that blacks are the toughest. Toney is a disgrace to boxing. He comes in out of shape to every fight and thinks he's a contender for a heavyweight title. Liakhovich has the skills to beat this guy.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Blue Devils said:

This match according to ESPN's Dan Rafael won't take place due to money differences
smiley21.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Thats OK, "The White Wolf" is one of the few white fighters that seems to have no heart. He's nearly as flabby and out of shape as Toney (and loser we all mock and insult).

It's a shame, because 3 years ago Sergei looked pretty damn good. I've totally given up on this guy. I think he may end up doing more harm than good for our people in boxing.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Don King ruined Lyakhovich by keeping him inactive for long periods of time.
smiley21.gif

Timor Ibragimov signed a one year contract with King, and never fought during that year. In 2007, promising prospect Mario Preskar, then age 23, signed with King and was kept inactive for a year.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I've seen the Uzbekistani Timor Ibragimov fight a couple times, it wasnt too impressive. He lost yawn-inducing decisions to both Calvin Brock and Tony Thompson (the only decent fighters on his resume).

I realize he's probably better than nearly every black HW on planet earth...but his fights are boring and uneventful. He's constantly backing up / away from his opponent. Also, he probably about 35 years old by now.

Like Sergei, Timor may end up embaressing his race if he continues to box the way he has in the past. Nevertheless, I wish both of these guys the best....there's just too much white HW boxing talent for them to compete.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Amren.com said:
I don't understand. Why would Don King keep any of his fighters inactive? Doesn't he make more money the more they fight?
Don King must not need money very much.

Guillermo Jones has not fought in nearly a year since he won the WBA cruiserweight title in Sep 2008. Daniel Santos, the WBA light middleweight titleholder, has now been inactive for 13 month, and has dropped out of the BoxRec ratings.

Most of King's current fighters have been kept inactive for long periods of time.

King's boxers

white is right

Hall of Famer
Boxing writers have alleged that King signs guys so that other guys can't have them. It makes sense the way he signs guys and keeps them on ice. Tim Witherspoon sued King over this and won a 7 figure settlement.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I don't trust Don King one big. I think he had someone put something into Klitschko's water during the Brewster fight. I also believe he is extremely racist against whites. The guy has the iq of a 12 year old. I mean just listen to him speak and you will know what I mean.

Amren.com

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
I don't trust Don King one big. I think he had someone put something into Klitschko's water during the Brewster fight. I also believe he is extremely racist against whites. The guy has the iq of a 12 year old. I mean just listen to him speak and you will know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure Wlad was drugged. Manny was interviewed recently where he said Wlad couldn't focus after the 1st round. He says he doesn't take that loss seriously. I don't understand how Wlad's team could let something like that happen.

I can understand King hating white fighters but I can't understand why he keeps them inactive if it is costing him money. He has black fighters, dont' the fighters have any say over who, when and how often they fight?

And if I was Wlad making millions for every fight and not getting hit too hard or often doing so, I'd be fighting as often as possible.Edited by: Amren.com

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
AMren it absolutely boggles my mind how Don King could be a promoter and make millions. The guy has to be one of the dumbest human beings on the planet. He is extremely unprofessional and has the iq of a 12 year old. Ohh yea he's black though.

white is right

Hall of Famer
While I don't think King has a high IQ. He knows the language of the average street guy. He also in the past has used his mob connections into intimidating fighters. Witherspoon alleged that King said he could get him whacked out within 5 minutes if he made the right calls.