Matt Jones to Jax

backrow

Hall of Famer
haha, touché!
he's Dwight Clark's cousin
smiley2.gif

6:15 left in 4th quarter and Jones has 6 catches for 73 yards, longest for 18 yards... and Leftwich looked his way at least 5 or 6 times on top of that but passes fell incomplete/batted down...
people in Jax go crazy after number 18 catchesEdited by: backrow

Skipperron

Guru
Everytime Jones caught it though the announcers bragged more on Leftwich's throws and only occasionally said much if anything about Jones. Once they said Jones did a good job of standing near the sideline. Wow great compliment.

backrow

Hall of Famer
you must have been watching some other game... they did compliment him quite a lot considering he's a white WR, even mentioned his 4.3 speed,(with lots of praise for Leftwich, i will agree, especially since he did nothing great, merely correct but his receivers made him look good)

Skipperron

Guru
It is hard to watch Jax. They were my favorite team untill they started weeding out all white men. I can remember when it was a somewhat fair mix. But man it changed in a hurrry . Especially once the GM job went to James Harris. He stinks. He once said if he had a choice between a white QB and a black QB of equal stature he would pick the black without question. And he is proving it. I was amazed when they drafted Matt Jones. But then no other whites followed and what few whites we added were culled out even more. NO I cannot pull for this team, I hate them now. I did like Jones game tonight but unfortunately it helped the Jags win.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, you'll get no argument from me... but at this point i am just happy for a good performance of a great rising star... i'd rather have some other QB throwing to him, but i'll take it for now

Skipperron

Guru
Yeah I agree with you on that. I just can't stand Leftwich or Garrard. They both came in running their mouths and had the jobs handed to them. I will never forget how crappy Brunell was treated in Jax his last few years there. Edited by: Skipperron

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I enjoy watching Matt Jones a lot, even if he does play for the Blackuars. I hope he can rack up the yardage there, but I ain't a holdin' ma breth.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
They rarely sentJones deep. He's being used like a possession receiver. I understand using him to move the chains, but with his size and speed to not also use him as a deep threat is inexplicable. Of course the one time they did send him into the end zone near the end of the game, Leftwich overthrew him. For all the compliments Leftwich was receiving about his supposed accuracy, I'm still waiting to see him throw accurate deep balls. Any quarterback has to be accurate on short and medium-range passes, especially one with no mobility.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You are right about that Don.Do you think the Raiders would only send Randy Moss mostly on short out routes?Hell no.The Jags need to learn how to use Matt Jones correctly.He is far to fast and talented to be playing like a possesion receiver.He is the number one reciever on the team and has speed to kill.Hopefully,they will continue to make Matt a bigger part of their medium and deep passing game.

SteveB

Mentor
I noticed that the Jags were running Jones deep and throwing to the other WRs and TEs underneath. Using Jones to open up the other guys is not a bad scheme, but it would've been nice to see them air it out more.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, Leftwich only went to Jones once on a deep route... not counting last second hail mary that Matt almost came up with

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Did you guys hear the crew talking about Leftwhich's speed and how he said he might be the slowest black qb but he is faster than all the white qbss and they also said Leftwhich said he was in the top 10 in speed out of QBs in the NFL.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Leonardfan said:
Did you guys hear the crew talking about Leftwhich's speed and how he said he might be the slowest black qb but he is faster than all the white qbss and they also said Leftwhich said he was in the top 10 in speed out of QBs in the NFL.

Top ten! In getting to the buffet table after a game maybe!!!

white tornado

Mentor
Leftwich said he was the tenth fastist qb in the league and there were ten qbs slower than him. The Only problem is there are 32 teams in the leauge, typical black math.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white tornado

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
here's an article that is very high on Matt. an excerpt:

"I always call him the X-factor, because he's a freak, man," Leftwich said. "Here's a guy, 6-6, 235, 240 pounds, that can run, that can jump, that can catch the good balls, catch the low balls, catch the high balls."

There is no telling what he can do on a football field, considering he set a team record for touchdown receptions (five) by a rookie wide receiver, even though he didn't play the position in college.

i did notice that leftwich isn't very accurate, and not just with regard to Matt. Jacksonville has 3 VERY tall receivers, and he regularly overthrows all of them, or even worse, throws it at their feet.

i was impressed with leftwich in college, but i'm afraid i was dead wrong about him...

white tornado

Mentor
Im undecided on leftwich, I don't think he will be a star though he gets the star treatment but I don't think he will suck either.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it didn't say what was wrong with him... i hope it's not serious.

backrow

Hall of Famer
from official Jaguars website:
Matt Jones WR Groin WED:Questionable* THU:Questionable*

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's good to know. hopefully he'll be ready to go this week.

bigunreal

Mentor
Matt Jones has a "groin" injury. I hate to keep harping on it, but these few white guys who are somehow dodging the Caste System and actually playing really need to be just a bit less injury prone. If this "groin" injury keeps Matt down for a few weeks, and during that time Reggie Williams has a few halfway decent games, you can bet that Matt will never reclaim his very, very tenuous position as the team's #1 WR. Already, Finneran is gone for the season. Jurevicious is out for a while. Stokley is having his yearly assortment of injuries, and has been pretty much phased out of the offense anyhow. Curtis has really been eliminated as a factor by the new Rams' coaching staff. Furrey will be replaced, even if he catches 10 balls a game for the next few weeks. Idiotic Matt Millen is scouring other teams for any black WR to take his place (the surly Jerry Porter being a prime example of someone he's very interested in). David Kircus is temporarily the Broncos' #3 WR, but we all know he has to be perfect in order to keep that role (and he will almost certainly never be handed a starting job when old Rod Smith retires). Really, the situation at WR in the NFL, which seemed so bright not that long ago, has never been this bleak. Right now, only Matt Jones, Drew Bennett and Mike Furrey are starting WRs. As mentioned previously, Furrey's grip on a starting job is very shaky at best. If Jones misses any length of time, Wilford will take his spot, and he will have to work his way back up from the traditional "white" #3 WR spot. Bennett, who has had injury problems, too, in the past, has Vince Young's passes to look forward to.

I know that injuries are a part of the game, but they shouldn't affect the handful of white skill position players so disproportionately. White players need to stop throwing their bodies around recklessly, often head first, in order to impress coaches that will never be impressed with them anyhow with their "high motor" or "kamikazee" hustle. In the present day NFL, they need to showboat when necessary, to talk trash, and to avoid unnecessary contact (just like all black players do).

bigunreal said:
In the present day NFL, they need to showboat when necessary, to talk trash, and to avoid unnecessary contact (just like all black players do).

No they dont. Having class is what sets us apart from them in the fisrt place. If you stoop to their level, it won't make things better. It will only be an excuse for "the powers that be" to say that Whitey has an attitude too.

I was on youtube last night and saw a Bill Romanowski hightlight film that someone put together. In it there was a clip of that fool Carter (Vikings ex-QB) saying the worst things about Romo imaginable. "He's a dirty player.", "I hate him.", etc. Romo did all those things you said Whites should do (talk trash and such), and it only made things worse.

Triad

Mentor
Week 3 Injury Report

I count nearly 150 NFL players (19 receivers, 4 whites)as being either out or questionable this week. Questionable means it 50:50 that they play which they almost always do. The Colts have 19 questionables.

There are 6 WR's either out or doubtful (< 75% chance to play) with Jurevicious being the only white.

I don't the whites are more fragile but their absence is more noticeable on this site.

bigunreal

Mentor
Going into this season, the following white WRs figured to play at least a supporting role for their teams:

Joe Jurevicious, Drew Bennett, Matt Jones, Brandon Stokely, Kevin Curtis, Mike Furrey, David Kircus, Brian Finneran. 8 players. So far, Finneran is out for the season, Jurevicious, thought to be out for the season, is still out for some time, Stokley keeps reinjuring his ankle and not playing, and Jones now has a groin injury that may cause him to miss time. That's 4 out of 8 white WRs injured enough to at least miss some time. 50%. That's an incredibly disproportionate rate for injuries. If 50% of the black WRs in the league were ever injured, there would be a national investigation. Jesse Jackson would become involved.

bigunreal

Mentor
Almost forgot the TEs. Todd Heap, who is seemingly always hurt, has just been added to the injury report for this week as questionable. How did he get hurt? He injured his ankle while stretching at home. Sorry, but no pro athlete should miss a game because of stretching anywhere, let alone at home. Jeremy Shockey always has an assortment of injuries. Dallas Clark, too. The other white TEs on the Colts are hurt right now. Ben Hartsock is out for the year, and Ben Utecht is questionable with a head injury. That leaves the door always open for their slow, plodding lone black TE. Ernie Conwell has never been able to show his potential because he has a aerious injury every season. So far, Chris Cooley and Jason Witten have avoided the serious injury bug, but once again there are a disproportionate number of white pass-catching TEs who get injured. You don't hear about Tony Gonzalez or Alge Crumpler injuring themselves while stretching. Okay, enough ranting. I want to make it clear that I'm not making fun of these injured white players, and I want them to succeed as much as anyone here. I just become more frustrated each time I hear about another one of them being injured, because I know how hard it will be for them to keep their job if they miss any significant time. Also, I keep trying to draft them on my fantasy teams, so I have another reason to root for them, but they keep letting me down. Recently, I cut both Stokely and Curtis in a keeper league. It hurt to do it, but realistically, Stokely isn't young and will never be given a chance to start, and Curtis (while not injured), has been phased out of the Rams offense.