Jones has been looking great, but you'd never know it from the comments
I read on the internet, most of them from fantasy sites. There has been
talk from the "experts" that, even after his impressive preseason
beginning, Jones has to "learn to run pass routes." Huh? That's a new
reaction to rookie production. Also, I heard one of the white-hating
idiots on the NFL Network (I think it was Mike Mahoff-not sure of the
name), say once again the other night that Jones should be moved to
H-Back. Then, I just read on Roto News that despite his solid start
this preseason, Jones is still "way down the depth chart." Again, huh?
Can this kind of media reaction be explained in any other way than a
racial double standard?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The NFL Network showed a highlight of Reggie Williams making a basic 15 yard catch in last night's game, nothing difficult about it, and Williams pranced and gyrated afterwards like his team had just won the Super Bowl. Why was that play even shown? Williams was universally acknowledged to be a bust last year, but now everyone is raving about him, because if he's a bust, then there's no excuse for not starting Jones as a rookie.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I checked out Yahoo's re-cap of the game, they mentioned everybody in the world but Jones.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Even at the Jags website,they didn't mention his performance.They keep talking about Owens and the rest
of the guys.He will make an impact one way or another.Matt
Jones is just too good!It will make me sick if he sits on the bench all the time.They keep raving on & on about Chad
Owens as a possible 3rd receiver but he is only 5'7.Owens
runs a 4'5 which is good but nothing next to Jones.

White_Savage

Mentor
Shogun:
True enough. But really, anything much longer than a buzz-cut provides an excellent grip, so in for a penny, in for a pound.

I've dones some experiments, in training and "informally", hair-grip really isn't all that devestating if you're willing to ignore it and inflict even more pain on them.

Now, back to football...

whiteCB

Master
Screw the media Matt Jones will get the last laugh when he's starting next year after they cut Jimmy Smith.

bigunreal

Mentor
According to the latest news on Pro Football Weekly, "team sources" say
Jones "has done nothing to prove those critics wrong" who questioned
the Jaguars selection of him. It is said that he hasn't shown the great
speed he did at the combine, and "one fellow receiver says he appears
to be running in slow motion." Wow. Those are pretty harsh words for a
rookie who has shined in his first two preseason games. Could there
possibly be another factor involved here? I wish Jones well, but this
kind of stuff makes one truly paranoid. If a white player can be the
kind of imposing physical specimen Jones is, an unprecedented combo of
size and speed, and yet still barely be drafted in the first round (and
have even that questioned by the "experts"), and then go on to produce
well in his first game action, yet still be criticized by the media and
even his teammates, what hope does any white player have?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What does the guy have to do?Jones has done really good in his first two games but they still complain.This is just crazy!I agree with you bigunreal,if he can't make it then how will anyone make it?The Caste System is as strong as ever.Jones needs to demand respect & playing time!

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
It is said that he hasn't shown the great speed he did at the combine, and "one fellow receiver says he appears to be running in slow motion."

I read the 8/22 report with the very odd quote ofJones appearing to run in slow-motion. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess speed is also in the eye of the beholder.The report dated 8/8 has this to say about Reggie Williams. You gotta love it if you're Caste System savvy. " Williams isn't a blazer, but he has good wheels when he builds momentum." After reading these quotes,what is the impression left on the mind of the average reader?

SteveB

Mentor
It is interesting to watch Jones run in his highlight film and the combine films because his strides are so long and his running style is so smooth, he does appear to be running slower than he is. Yet he is pulling a gap between himself and the defenders. I wonder if this receiver may have meant this in his quote. Something like "it is amazing how fast he is since he looks like he is running in slow motion." Of course the media would just take quote "he is running in slow motion." Who knows, just speculation on my part, but the media can take any quote and twist it to fit their point of view.

Bart

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
I wonder if this receiver may have meant this in his quote. Something like "it is amazing how fast he is since he looks like he is running in slow motion." .

That is a possible explanation. I doubt if the poor choice of words would have been used if Jones were not white. In other words a black would be described as being effortless, fluid , easy, graceful, non laboring, poised, smooth and efficient.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tonight on national tv,the Jags & the Falcons.It will be an excellent chance for Matt Jones to put on a show.There has been very little talk coming out of the Jags Camp lately and he needs to get his name out there.He has played very
well but we all know how the media is.I expect him to come out tonight and score 1 or 2 touchdowns.Jones should have a big game tonight assuming Leftwich will get him the ball.

G

jones tonight: 48 yard catch and 7 yard catch.

he's playing like the number 2 or 3 guy so far.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
They only threw to him a couple of times.He can't make them throw him the ball.Leftwich will have to develop some chemistry with Jones.It will come with time.People need to remember that this is Jones first year as a wide receiver.
He is averaging around 50 yards receiving a game in the pre season which is not bad considering the few passes thrown his way.With some more passes,he can easily get up to around 100 yards receiving a game.Look at his average yards per catch.Simply amazing.He is the real deal!!

I believe this was the first time in a scrimmage or preseason game that Jones wasn't the Jags' leading receiver, and he was only beat by a few yards by backup Ernest Wilford.

The encouraging thing was that Jones was used with the starters the whole time they were out there. His long catch was dynamite, a great one to make in a nationally televised game.

If the Jags offense jells Jones could have a really good rookie season. It's obvious that he's already star material. It's up to the rest of the offense more than it is him, and of course how the coaching staff utilizes him.

JD074

Master
Wow, I got lucky again, first changing the channel to Standeford's one-handed grab, and now this time to Matt's sensational catch. It was beautiful. It was so good that the commentators just couldn't contain their emotions about it.

Kaptain

Master
He should be starting and right now when he can still run in the 4.3 range. If he is on the bench and only used in special situations it will hurt the Jags that is obvious. I think the Jags will have to really stink and stuggle on offense before they will make Matt a full-time starter.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
watched the Cowboys-Jaguars game last night on the Cowboys network...the two idiot announcers, especially Babe Laufenberg (insert joke here), kept talking about how Jones was too tall to ever be a legitimate starting wide receiver in the league. wow!
smiley29.gif
too tall! i guess he's too fast, too good of a jumper, and catches too many poorly thrown balls. unbelievable!

btw, Jones had 2 catches for 20 yards in limited action.

Bart

Hall of Famer
So, now we have another "Too-Tall Jones" but this time it's a negative connotation.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
kept talking about how Jones was too tall to ever be a legitimate starting wide receiver in the league.

Notify the Raiders ASAP, they need to get rid of Randy Moss, he's too tall to ever be a good wide receiver in the NFL.

kevin

Guru
what about plexico burress, heis like 6'6 how come nobody says anything about him. Also buress run a 4.6 forty which is nothing for a wr to brag about.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nothing against Jimmy Smith but it is hard to imagine that the Jags could have a 36 year old guy as their number one receiver.Matt Jones should either be the number 1 or 2 receiver with ease.At least Smith is almost done.Hopefully he doesn't hang around as long as Rice.Some guys just can't
except that their playing days are done.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I watched the Jags game today and it was a times entertaining.They used different sets and trick plays with Matt Jones.He even had a pass that he threw which he completed for 6 yards.He had 2 carries running the ball with one of them going for 25 yards!Receiving was disapointing with only 2 catches for 22 yards.They need to get him the ball a whole lot more if they are smart.He is just too tall & fast for the defense to cover him.Matt caught a touchdown pass but was ruled out of bounds.Hopefully,they will get him the ball more soon.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Jones was the leading white "running back" in the league Sunday, with two runs for 28 yards. The only other white allowed torun the ball was Mike Alstott, who had a whopping one carry for no gain. Edited by: Don Wassall