Matt Jones to Jax

{as posted on jaquars.com } Jax updated there depth chart and Matt
Jones moved from WR 5/6 to WR 4/6 on the second team.{WoW
...in there eyes ,I think he would have to win the superbowl single
handedly to make no.1 spot .}

whiteCB

Master
John Clayton was actually praising Jones on Sportscenter this morning saying he is making the smooth transition to WR.

G

Matt Jones has the potential to be the best reciever in the nfl. He could have been the best QB though.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matt Jones is like R.Moss but with his head on straight.If they use him correctly and put him as the number one receiver,he will lead the nfl in receiving yards almost every year starting next year.Corners,Safties and Linebackers just won't be able to cover him.Too big,too fast,and too strong.Just wait until he gets the art of fakes and route running down!

G

if im reading the depth chart at jaguars.com correctly he is no. 2 reciever not 4/6.Edited by: blackmun

Jimmy Smith is #1, Reggie Williams is #2. Jones is #3.

But it's highly likely Jones will outproduce Williams all season long anyway, so it doesn't matter what the official depth chart says, the question is how Jones will be used.

Old Man Smith was beating d-backs last week. I'd say the presence of Matt Jones is motivating him to do everything he can to remain the first receiving option. Nothing wrong with that -- it's good for Jones and the Jax passing game that defenses still have to worry about Smith.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I was reading Caste Football's report on the Jags. Ten white men out of 53 in a locker room. 90% black.

I can't imagine the sh*t Jones and the other few white men on that team have to put up with, just to play football. Can you imagine the ribbing and put-downs Jones must live with, a white man trying to play wide receiver? "Yo, boy, you think you can catch or what? My momma's faster than you, man - you too white!" ad nauseum.
smiley11.gif

I for one have found new respect for ANY white man trying to play football in the NFL. I realize some of their teammates can be good people, and some are probably friends, but I'd hate to have to spend every day surrounded by black men who didn't want me to do what I do.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder what happened today.Matt Jones was totally ignored the whole game.Come on now,the Colts defense isn't that good that they couldn't get Matt the ball.Maybe they would have won if they threw to him.I'm glad the Colts won despite an awful game from Manning.That is one of the very few times he has looked really bad.Stokley suffered as a result with 2 catches for only 24 yards.At least they won.I feel bad for who ever plays them next week!
smiley2.gif

Kaptain

Master
Even on the last play of the game when Jacksonville's only hope was to throw one up for grabs in the end zone, Jones was not on the field. It only makes sense in the bizzaro world of caste football.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Jones is doing better than any of the other wide receivers drafted in the first round this year:

"In fact, of the six wide receivers chosen in the first round of this year's draft, just one -- Matt Jones of the Jacksonville Jaguars -- owns statistics that project out to the average numbers for a rookie pass catcher. And Jones, the leading receiver among all rookie wideouts, with 24 catches, is a converted college quarterback. The full-season projections for this year's first-round class, based on the six players' current statistics: 32 catches, 405 yards and two touchdowns. That places them slightly below the norm but hardly brands the six wideouts as collective busts."

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasqua relli_len&id=2228242[/url]

Bart

Hall of Famer
So far, Matt has disproved Cris Carter's analysis of him.

Carter: Rookie to watch: Matt Jones
The Jacksonville Jaguars will use him as a tight end to capitalize on the crackdown on illegal contact. Jones will be great going down the field against linebackers. He's a phenomenal athlete who played quarterback and wide receiver at Arkansas, but he'll never be a wide receiver in the NFL. He'll cut his teeth using his 4.3 speed against linebackers who are running 4.5s or 4.6s.

WasDeion Sanders playing linebacker last week, when he was smoked by Jones?
smiley36.gif

G

it would be great if jones does the best out the 05 draft. i wonder what he could do with a good passer instead of an average one?

Yesterday's line for Matt Jones:

3 catches, 46 yards, 1 touchdown.

Not a bad day at the office for a guy the national press has already written off. In fact, the media jock-scarfers want nothing more than for this kid to fail, so they can say "I told ya so!"

Deacon

Guru
Through 10 games Matt Jones has caught 27 passes for 331 yds. and four
touchdowns. Started the year off slow but has improved his production
as the year has gone on.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Deacon, that's because they started the year off not using him at all. Now he is getting some passes his way!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He's been the most productive of all the WRs taken in the first round of the draft this year, and he's getting better as the season goes along. Scoring touchdowns in four ofthe Jaguars' lastfive games is areal accomplishment, especially on a team that hadn't scored 30 or more points for four years until two games ago. Some of the fantasy football services are even recommending him as a starter this week in Jax's game against Arizona. Respect!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It's about time it happened to an awesome white player like Matt! Respect for any white in sports is getting so rare.

whiteCB

Master
Jones is having a solid first year which is especially tough for WRs to do(the NFL passing game is much more difficult and complex than college's). So to see this kind of production this early is a good sign that Jones will hopefully have a great career. Add in that this is his first year of playing WR and your talking about a huge upside.

robcat

Guru
It will be tougher than ever for Jones now that Leftwich was injured in the Black Bowl between Jacksonville and Arizona. Garrard thinks hes an NFL starter but looks like he'll run up stats like Vick, lots of running and not much passing yardage.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Your right about that robcat.Garrard is a way worse qb then Byron.Matt will be lucky to get 20-30 yards a game.
It just shows how bad the AZ Cards are when they lost again today despite Garrard.lol.

Deacon

Guru
The guy is 6-6 and 229 lbs. You'd think he get more touches per game but oh well.

Garrard's career completion pct. is barely above 50%. Yep, another Vick clone.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Leftwich is done for the regular season, leaving David Garrard and Quinn Gray, both black, as the team's quarterbacks. True to form Jack Del Rio said that the Jags won't use Matt Jones even as an "emergency backup." Perish the thought, Jacko.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jack Dill Holo is more like it! That kind of talk is the stupidest that can come out of a coaches mouth. God forbid an athletic white QB get a chance to shine in the year 20-05!
smiley7.gif
That stinks!

backrow

Hall of Famer
wow! 3 passes to Mike Jones on the same drive, all of them for first down... announcers are really giving him lots of praise, how big, strong and fast he is and how well he adapted to playing wide receiver in the NFL, with high sideline awareness... go Mike!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
wow! 3 passes to Mike Jones on the same drive, all of them for first down... announcers are really giving him lots of praise, how big, strong and fast he is and how well he adapted to playing wide receiver in the NFL, with high sideline awareness... go Mike!

Who is this 'Mike Jones' guy to whom you keep referring, backrow? Is he a new white receiver we haven't heard of?
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif