Matt Jones to Jax

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Your right about that backrow! White Shogun, thanks for the explanation! I for one, miss coaches dressing up for games. One of the last, if not the last college coach I have seen wear a suit was Gene Stallings at Alabama, and he last coached there in 1996. I know Paterno wears a shirt and tie sometimes, but it really is a lost practice.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
NHL and NBA coaches still wear suits. Baseball managers look silly wearing the uniform of their players. There's no reason NFL and college coaches shouldn't wear suits. But the dress code has changed considerably in the U.S. It used to be routine for men to wear suits to sporting events, not to mention church and lots of other social engagements. The surprising thing is that hockey and basketball coaches don't dress like Bill Belichick yet.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Funny how the announcer not Cornhouser or Gumble the other one said that Wilford is the Jags best receiver. Jones started off the year as the go to guy buthas been injured and only had one blatent drop since coming back. Reggie Williams has had more blatent drops but it's always blame whitey in the good old NFL. Hopefully that 49 yard catch will make Garrard see Jones ability and throw to him more. Wilford has great hands and good route running abiltiybut may be the slowest receiver in the NFL. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

backrow

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Funny how the announcer not Cornhouser or Gumble the other one said that Wilford is the Jags best receiver. Jones started off the year as the go to guy but has been injured and only had one blatent drop since coming back. Reggie Williams has had more blatent drops but it's always blame whitey in the good old NFL. Hopefully that 49 yard catch will make Garrard see Jones ability and throw to him more. Wilford has great hands and good route running abiltiy but may be the slowest receiver in the NFL.

well, two blatant drops to be honest.

bigunreal

Mentor
We need to face the cold hard facts here; if a 6'6 guy who runs a 4.3 40 can't be given a fair chance to be a starting NFL WR, especially when he had a really impressive rookie campaign, then no white WR coming out of college will ever be given a fair chance. To castigate Matt Jones for dropped passes in a league like today's NFL is the height of absurdity- no one but the jock-sniffing announcers could possibly conceive of something so ridiculous. From just the brief bits of last night's game that I saw, Reggie Williams dropped two passes in the SAME series of downs. Nothing was said by the announcers, except that he had only caught a few balls the past several games. Williams was not taken out of the game. Plaxico Burress, the Giants' undisputed #1 WR, dropped the first two passes thrown his way (which is routine with him and so many other celebrated WRs). Again, no negative comments from the lame, wannabe comedians. The derelict, unknown black WR who has taken the hapless #1 draft pick's place in the lineup, one Cortez Hankton, dropped the first pass thrown to him. Again, no comments from the idiotic announcers. Then, Jones "dropped" a pass with a bit of help from a defender's hand. Instantly, Mike Tirrico stated, "and another drop from Matt Jones." Unbelievable. Just imagine the pressure these white WRs like Jones are under- to know you have to be literally perfect on the field just to keep your job. One drop can actually get you benched, as has apparently been the case with Jones.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he needs to get his sh*t going regardless of what people say.Shockey doesn't give a damn, does he? he plays harder in face of adversity and loves proving his critics wrong. that's what Matt needs to do.

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
To castigate Matt Jones for dropped passes in a league like today's NFL is the height of absurdity- no one but the jock-sniffing announcers could possibly conceive of something so ridiculous.

Excellent post Bigunreal. White receivers are not allowed the same leeway as blacks. Their mistakes are trumpeted loudly and often, while black miscues are often ignored or minimized. We have seen the same type of coverage concerning the bogus Duke rape case. That incident was and is still getting an incredible amount of attention. Stories of black athletes committing rapes and heinous crimes are barely mentioned or ignorerd entirely. The public is left with a false picture of reality, which of course is intentional.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I don't think Jone's drop in yesterday's game
was blatant, he was in between two
defensive players and their hands blocked
his veiw of the ball. I definitley
would agree wholeheartedly with bigunreal

Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

JD074

Master
Don Wassall said:
NHL and NBA coaches still wear suits.  Baseball managers look silly wearing the uniform of their players.  There's no reason NFL and college coaches shouldn't wear suits.  But the dress code has changed considerably in the U.S.  It used to be routine for men to wear suits to sporting events, not to mention church and lots of other social engagements.  The surprising thing is that hockey and basketball coaches don't dress like Bill Belichick yet.<!-- Message ''"" -->

Is it because they're indoors, don't have to worry about the elements, or walking in dirt or mud? Just a thought. But I do agree that baseball managers need to get out of those uniforms.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wearing a suit used to be as standard among NFL coaches as it is among NHL and NBA coaches, so I don't think it's the elements that are responsible for the change, though it does make a good pretext. It's pretty rare to see a muddy field anymore due to improved sod and indoor stadiums.

Connie Mack, who owned the Philadelphia Athletics and managed longer than any man in baseball history (50 seasons), always wore a suit while managing, but I think he was the only baseball manager to do so.

Have you seen our Tennessee coach Phil Fullmer in that orange jump suit and cap? Fullmer looks even worse in that outfit than middle-aged men do in baseball uniforms. He would actually look better in a suit and tie.

I remember the first Tennessee football games I went to in 1964 and 1965. Many people dressed as for church. This was especially true of folks who were alumni. You didn't see people dressed in the all-Orange get-ups.

To go to a college football game, you dressed up. This changed gradually over the years, like much else in society. Suddenly, you noticed that people dressed down to go to a game. This was partly the merging of college and pro football into a common sensibility.

Olivia Manning, Archie's wife and mother of Peyton and Eli noted this in the 2000 book "Manning." Attending Ole Miss games as Archie's girlfriend, she dressed up. Later at Saint games, she dressed down.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Jags finally havea deep threat, and it's not Matt Jones it's the legend himself, Dennis Northcutt.

Very generously listed at 5-11 (5-8 is more like it), this "electric" athlete, equipped with notoriously bad hands even for the NFL, has managed to accumulate 276 receptions and 11 touchdowns in 7 NFL seasons, topped off by a whopping total of 64 catches for 669 yards and 2, yes 2, touchdowns over the past two seasons.

But he's a "legitimate deep threat" according to AP, enough to receive a five-year $17 million contract.

Guess they never even considered talking to Kevin Curtis when the great Northcutt was available, but given that it's Jacksonville I'm glad they didn't.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/04/bc. fbn.jaguars.northcutt.ap/index.html [/url]

White Power

Mentor
Jacksonville's fan base is to stupid to recognize that they are the laughing stock of the NFL. They are the only team with 3 brotha's playing quarterback and all 3 really can't play the position very well. They have a black GM Shaq Harris that is hell bent on keeping that team made up of players that he feels most identify with him very black very uneducated and, several of them over the past 2 years have been arested for various things. You know speeding drugs, and other things that probably never make the media. I personally hate the ****uars because they have truly have a retarded racist making most of their personnel decisions. It's really sickening.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
It's too bad that they drafted Matt Jones. I would have prefered if he slipped into the second round to a team that would and could (if they had a decent QB) utilize his "very rare" gifts.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Is Matt Jones going to get the opportunity to really develop in his third season? I wonder. There's a lot of hype coming out of the Jags organization about 3rd round draft pick Mike Walker, especially about his speed. Jones has freakish speed, but the Caste System likes to ignore that. This quote from an article about Walker is typical:

"The Jags desperately need speed receivers who can run correct routes, run away from cornerbacks and catch the ball when it arrives. They need at least the threat of quarterback Byron Leftwich completing a deep ball. All of which Walker knows. And none of which he cares about."

Jones is continually lumped in with Ernest Wilford and Reggie Williams, both of whom are very slow and are not good receivers. The real problem isn't Jones, it's the virtually all-black Jax team and its quarterbacks. The wildly over-rated Leftwich has often missed Jones when he has been open deep, and David Garard usually can't hit the side of a barn.

Jones has had nagging injuries and has dropped a few balls, but I feel sorry for him. It's hard to imagine a worse team he could be playing for.

Hey, as an aside about Jones, someone told me he had a shoulder injury that played a part in keeping him out of QB contention. Basically, he said that prior to it, Jones was a great running QB that was like a Gerrard who could pass, but after, the zip just wasn't there. Is he BSing me?

I rarely follow any collegiate career outside of Notre Dame, so I've got no clue.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
David Garrad has been named the Starter...
Leftwich is gonna be released or trade from what i've read...

Matt Jones is gonna have a bad season

Skipperron

Guru
Garrard is a bloated egotistical peice of ummmm ....nothing. I have a nephew who went to East Carolina and I remember him calling me and ranting and raving about how he was a great great QB and that the Jags ought to get him. I said that I hope they did not get him but of course they did. Then he came in and ran his mouth about Brunell and how he was not going to sit behind behind him. He came to the Jags to start and Brunell was finished and on and on. He turned a lot of fans and media off at that point. And after I saw him play ..............well he certainly is not a great great QB. Although he actually moves the offense better than the black messiah Leftwich. The whole situation is sickening to this EX-JAGS FAN.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This is bad news...Gerard is an an egotistical racist. I really think he has something against Matt Jones b/c he almost never looks his way.

At least Leftwich had respect for Jones complimenting him and even implying that he was his favourite target. I remember Leftwich making a comment that I actually found funny although some here may not. He said something like "it's funny how the slowest starting black QB like me is going to be throwing to a speed burner white receiver. Matt Jones the dude is fast."Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

referendum

Mentor
If this is correct, that Gerrard will be explicitly discriminating against Jones this will be a good example of trying to hurt the team for racial reasons, as Jones' production will drop off, he'll be benched, a poorer receiver will take his place, and in the end Gerrard will hurt himself by trying to hurt Jones. Man, too bad we can't organize a rescue party for all white Jaguars and find homes for them elsewhere in the league, including their punter, kicker and long snapper. Then Del Rio and Harris can have their ultimate fantasy, an all black team.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The situation is so bleak for Jones that maybe the best case for him would be to announce his retirement, get the Jaguars to give up his rights and come back next year for a team that will respect and use him correctly.

sunshine

Mentor
On paper this doesn't sound good. Jones is new to WR so he needs more structure. This Garrard guy is all about "watch me scamble and lets hoof it." Hell why not start Jones at QB? He can scamble and "lets hoof it" with the best of them.

sunshine said:
On paper this doesn't sound good. Jones is new to WR so he needs more structure. This Garrard guy is all about "watch me scamble and lets hoof it." Hell why not start Jones at QB? He can scamble and "lets hoof it" with the best of them.
And he is 5 inches taller than Garrard, which is important for an NFL QB.

backrow

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
The situation is so bleak for Jones that maybe the best case for him would be to announce his retirement, get the Jaguars to give up his rights and come back next year for a team that will respect and use him correctly.

what will happen after this year, Jags will probably blame him for all their woes, and will try to trade him or will simply release him. which might be the best thing ever for Matt