Dan Green is back!!!!!

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Green

Retirement

On 25th March 2008 Danny Green shocked the boxing community by announcing his immediate retirement from the sport. Sources close to Green say he made his decision in the early hours of Easter Sunday morning while in Sydney preparing for his April 27 mandatory challenge against Argentina's Hugo Garay, which will now not take place. It is believed Green, who took the title from Croatian Stipe Drews on December 16, has decided to retire while at the top of his game - a feat few fighters before him have managed.

"Boxing is always going to be part of my life, but instead of dealing with the sharks of the sport out there, I will be dealing with ... any prospective boyfriends (of his daughter, Chloe), Green said.

"That is why I want to make sure my health is intact, because when I am 60 years old and there are boys knocking on the door I still want to be able to go the knuckle if I have to.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Who's gonna fight for the vacant title? Garay was supposed to fight Green as his mandatory so it'll probably be him against someone else.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I just checked the WBA site and it has Yuri Barashian ranked #1 an Armenian Ukrainian. He knocked out Thomas Ulrich in his last fight. Maybe he'll fight for the WBA belt.Edited by: Blue Devils

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I guess the pipes, the pipes are callin'.
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Shocker considering he left the Mundine rematch on the table. That would have been another Australian civil war. Maybe the rigors of training camp were getting to him.

Blue Devils

Mentor
JD074 said:
Here's a seven minute vid of the Ulrich/ Barashian fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogeEOW0sVVE
KO victory over Ulrich is impressive considering he's only been knocked out by Glen Johnson & Tomasz Adamek. I have one of Ulrich's fights on DVD. It's his fight against Erdei in which he was thoroughly outboxed. Ulrich has only lost to top fighters. Barashian was beaten by Stieglitz but maybe his body punching could affect the rock headed Garay. Edited by: Blue Devils

Blue Devils

Mentor
Danny Green to return?

From Fightnews.com

By Craig Watt

It has widely been anticipated that Australian boxers, Danny Green and Anthony Mundine would square off again in Australia's biggest fight of 2009, even though Green, the former WBA light-heavyweight and WBC interim super-middleweight champion was retired. After generating the highest PPV audience in Australia's boxing history and a live gate of 37,000 in their May 2006 fight, many Australian's wanted to see a return. Green, who retired with a 34-3 record and 23 KOs has been sparring at the Belcatta Gym in Perth over five sessions against Russian fighter Victor Oganov to test his desire and physical condition after over a year outside the boxing ring.

The rumor mill intensified when it was reported that Green, his manager Justin Manokolis and Mundine's manager, Khoder Nassar were spotted in a Sydney resteraunt last weekend discussing a deal.

Many believe the fight will be announced this week after two time WBA super middleweight champion Mundine takes on Shannan Taylor in Wollongong on Wednesday.

It is expected that Green will have a couple of warm up fights and the re-match will be at 175 pounds, light-heavyweight. This is even though Mundine will be fighting Shannan Taylor at middleweight and is currently ranked #1 by the WBA for Felix Sturm's middleweight title. Both fighters are expected to secure $3m each for a re-match later in 2009.
Edited by: Blue Devils

Blue Devils

Mentor
Danny Green returns tonight on the Jones-Lacy undercard in Mississippi. He'll face Julio Cesar Dominguez 20-4-1(14).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I am guessing the only reason Danny Green is fighting Roy Jones is for the money. Jones is pretty washed up at this point in his career and the only advantage to fighting him is that he is well known and Green will make a bigger name for himself.

Blue Devils

Mentor
From Fightnews

IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green is confident that he will destroy challenger Roy Jones Jr. when they clash on Wednesday at the Acer Arena, Homebush, Sydney, NSW, Australia. With a capacity attendance of 20,000 fight fans Green has promised not only to defeat Jones but make Jones' first professional fight outside the USA the biggest mistake he has made in his professional career. "I want to destroy him,"Â￾ proclaimed Green. "Â￾I picture his legs wobbling and me delivering the KO punch. I see him unconscious on the canvas. He's slumped on the canvas. I picture him asleep on the canvas. His corner runs into the ring, mine run into the ring. I see them picking him up and mine lifting me onto their shoulders â€" after I make sure he's all right. I don't want to just defeat Roy Jones Jr. I want to destroy him!"Â￾

Danny Green's American sparring partner Anthony "Ice"Â￾ Greenidge has predicted a win for the Australian over boxing great Roy Jones Jr. The New Yorker has worked as a sparring partner to Antonio Tarver, Arthur Abraham and Jermain Taylor and says Jones will not know what hit him on Wednesday at the Acer Arena, Homebush, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Greenidge said. "No offense intended, but Danny doesn't fight like your typical white boy,"Â￾ he said. "Â￾They tend to be straight up and walk forward and throw one-two. But Danny can move when he wants to move and he also has the ability to throw punches when he wants to. Danny Green will knock Roy Jones out. He punches too hard and too consistently. Roy Jones Jr won't know what's hit him."Â￾

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
That comment at the end is disgusting. Maybe Greendridge doesn't think like your average blackboy. Alot of them tend to be stupid.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
It sure would be nice if Green wins against Jones.

If I'm correct about the time zones, the fight will happen early Wednesday morning North America time.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Memo to Greenig, There are alot and I mean alot of typical white boys holding title straps. Oh, he must be in denial. While this irrates me, it is not on the same level of DWFs who disparge our great white fighter.

Greenig and Bopkins are birds of a feather, fortunealty Bopkins will always have to think of Calzaghe slapping him around for 12 rounds. Life is great at times.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Green is a live dog in this fight. Jones is just a shell of his former self, speed wise and power wise. Bet what you can afford to lose and bet Green. You might see screwy judging though as the rematch with Hopkins will only come off if they both win(I think the fight will still happen if Jones were to lose a decision but his negotiating power will diminish).Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
SPORTS ALERT!!!! DANNY GREEN KOS SOOPA AFFELET ROY JONES!

Now I just hope Bopkins suffers a similar fate. In a slight way I wanted Roy Jones to fight Bopkins and make a fool out of him. Now I don't think that fight will comme off.

Congrats to Dannny Green
smiley32.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
Danny Green just won me some money
smiley4.gif

Here's the fightnews report

IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green (28-3, 25 KOs) destroyed ring legend Roy Jones Jr. (54-6, 40 KOs) in the first round on Wednesday night at the Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia. Green floored Jones with a huge right hand to the temple and Jones couldn't shake it off. The bout was waved off by the referee during Green's follow-up barrage. Official time was 2:02.

Green's devastating win likely torpedoed Jones' planned rematch with Bernard Hopkins, who fights Enrique Ornelas tonight in Philadelphia. Maybe the door is now open for Green to face Hopkins. (Full report from Ray Wheatley to come.)

Can one of the mods change the name of the thread to Danny Green. I have a feeling he'll continue fighting
smiley2.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
I haven't followed Danny's career to this point, however, will now. Anyone who has can chime in on his chances against racist Bopkins, do so. Hopefully Jones is alright and retires. He was always respectful against white fighters who beat him. Unlike that f..k Hopkins who still can't give cred to Calzaghe.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
smiley1.gif
Fantastic news!

On boxingscene, I'd noticed some Australian wiggers who were rooting for Jones over their white countryman - they got what they deserved!

smiley32.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
I believe the fight is being replayed on Versus tonight. Before the Hopkins-Ornelas fight.