Brian Leonard 23

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Enjoy Sunday's Rams game. A white running back is the featured ball carrier for an NFL team about as often as Haley's comet comes around. Seriously there have only been 3 times in this century, Brock Forsey who got two chances with the Bears (and did pretty well), Brad Hoover a couple of years ago, and Heath Evans one time. Maybe Alstott a few years ago I have only been keeping track for the last 5 years or so. Anyway it's one of the rarest events in modern sports.

I hope the best for him of course but you have to be realistic. He's not running behind a good line, rushing yards are hard to come by in the NFL. Like all white backs he's an injury emergency fill in. Chances are he won't do too well the first time out and given the typical short leash put on white backs he will probably only get one or two games. If he doesn't do well Sunday they might get someone else, I've seen it happen. Even if he does well he goes back to the bench when Jackson comes back, and when that happened to Forsey it was all over for him.

They might not even run him much, I've seen that happen too. Still it'll be great just to see a white guy carrying the rock. It would be tremdous if he does well too. Here's to Brian having a great game!

lumsdenpower

Mentor
what is pretty sure is that Leonard is gonna have at least 3yards by carry..He take what the defense give to him and don't dance like a fool like Bush and lost one or two yards..

lumsdenpower

Mentor
To which NFL starter can you compare Leonard in type of RB???
The first I think is Edgerrin James is his good year..Good Hands, Got speed but not a 4.3, are strong, good pass protector, two gentlemens..

G

Yanling, your post was classic! Those on this site who subscribe to camp B should start eating right and start going to a gym and lose that excess flab and be an example to our white youth. I truely believe it starts at home.

Anyways, I am praying that Brian uses his skills, heart and ability to have a great game against dallas. The last time I looked the entire dallas defense is black! Say what you will about this caste system, but I don't understand how the owner and head coach(Dallas) can look at themselves in the mirror. There has to be a valid reason for an all black defense. Can someone rationally expain this to me? Lets go Brian!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Leonard could be test canary sent into the mines. Meaning if he is successful other white backs with similar body types may be given a shot to be a feature back. The NFL tends to be copy cat league. Look at the predominance of the West Coast Offense.

backrow

Hall of Famer
speedster said:
Why would anyone want to get a jersey of any athlete.It's like your this hero-worshiping kid who is maybe ten or twenty years older than this player.Good grief.

why? because i want to show my support of white players, show the league that not only black superstars can sell jerseys and like Shogun said, i want people asking me about them, giving me a chance to explain.

and also, because i simply feel like it.

and Heath Evans one time...I believe you are incorrect jaxvid. Heath Evans carried the rock TWO games for the pats. One against the dolphins 1 against the saints. I beleive he had liek 16 carries for 74 yards or soemthing liek that against teh saints.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteafflete15 said:
and Heath Evans one time...I believe you are incorrect jaxvid. Heath Evans carried the rock TWO games for the pats. One against the dolphins 1 against the saints. I beleive he had liek 16 carries for 74 yards or soemthing liek that against teh saints.

You may be right but the point is what did it get him? Good production but no other chances.
smiley18.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
whiteafflete15 said:

You may be right but the point is what did it get him? Good production but no other chances.
smiley18.gif

yeah, but with the exception of Forsey who was a low round pick for Bears, all others were officially named fullback before being pressed into the emergency duty as a featured runner. Leonard, however, is a early second round pick, drafted as a RUNNINGBACK. if he performs i do belive that he will be given a chance to play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good to see my post from 2 pages back has come full circle!
smiley36.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
jaxvid said:
whiteafflete15 said:

smiley18.gif

yeah, but with the exception of Forsey who was a low round pick for Bears, all others were officially named fullback before being pressed into the emergency duty as a featured runner. Leonard, however, is a early second round pick, drafted as a RUNNINGBACK. if he performs i do belive that he will be given a chance to play.

I agree backrow. Leonard was an early draft pick and is a well known commodity. Forsey was a small white scat back from Boise State, which gets little exposure and was probably mocked by the drunken white Bears fans. I could just hear those jock sniffers in the stands yelling
"sh*t how are we giving this puney white guy the ball?"
I bet few of those fans knew anything about Forsey's stellar college career.

Leonard is a big tough dude and is well known for his trademark "Leonard leap." He will not be mocked by Rams fans as the "puny white guy." Leonard will have a longer leash than Forsey b/c he is not merely a token fill in. Forsey had one brilliant game as a starter followed by his second unspectacular game and the media wanted the "real HBs" back. Leonard has a future in this league if not at HB than as a FB with ball skills.

backrow

Hall of Famer
another thread about Brian Leonard from Rams forums, seems like they like what they see so far.

several people mentioned that they wouldn't mind Jackson leaving after next season as much, since Leonard seems like a real deal.

capt.1bf5f8e3cdfc416998b51e2d718620e4.rams_cowboys_football_irv101.jpg

my personal analysis: Rams need to start using Leonard in their passing game a lot more. today he was open several times, for medium pick ups tthat could very well turn into something bigger.
Richie Incognito comes back next week for Arizona game and that will give BL a good inside blocker on runs up the middle.
If the game was closer, i am sure BL would have gotten 100 yards, even in the tough situation: lack of o-line and lack of passing.

so far, so good

Gi-15

Mentor
yeah, Brian had pretty much the game we all expected, 3.6 yards per carry is pretty good in thoses condition..

btw the rams offense is real bad....

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's another pic of Leonard from today. I hope he can have a real breakout game next week!

BrianLeonard9-30-7.jpg

Gi-15

Mentor
honestly, I am really thrilled with what I saw from brian today. He showed some real quickness converting losses into 1 and 2 yards gains. I like his burst through the line. He'll be an impact player next week against the Cards, i'm pretty sure.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Well, the Cards play really a good game against ''Fast Willie''..
But that not the same type of runner but the Cards seem to be good against the run..

I watched the game and Leonard looked pretty good. It wasn't like they were finding ways to get him into open space like they would have a Black feature back.

I thought it was funny that it took Aikman until Brian's third carry to mention that he isn't fast and won't be able to get to the outside on the Cowboys Defense. I think his handlers are going to have to drill it into his head that these are mandatory first carry comments.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Well, I dont think that Leonard is gonna have a big game :(
Against the cardinals : Willie Parker :19 run for 39 yards
Frank Gore :18 for 55 yards
Shaun Alexander: 18 for 70yards
Willis McGahee : the best game against them : 212 for 98 yards

So I'm gonna expect another game of 3.5 yards and like 60 yards..and the Oline is worth than all this team..

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
If the Rams play frerotte and the Cardinals play the pass more I think Leonard has a good chance for 100 yds. I do not think any of the teams the cardinals have played so far have a great offensive line. Hopefully the Rams can get some sort of cohesion and maybe run more with brian behind a fb.

backrow

Hall of Famer
lets break it down:
Frank Gore (3.7 ypc this season) and Shaun Alexander are not the same runners from the last season (or two seasons ago, in Aexander's case).
yesterday Willie didn't run well, simple as that. can't really blame offensive line, although Marvel Smith was subpar vs Cards.
if Rams can get some passing game going, involve all three big name receivers and McMichael it will definitely give Leonard a chance. Wilson is a top safety, he needs to out of the box for Rams to succeed on the ground.
Dockett is a very solid defensive tackle, if Incognito comes back hopefully he can cancel that out. Dansby is the only good linebacker on Arizona team, so if Brian gets behind the line of scrimmage he might be able to do some damage.

one way or another, if he posts 100 yards rushing it will be a huge success for both him and injury ridden Rams.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Steven Jackson has been ruled out for Week 5, as expected.

Jackson remains out indefinitely with a 40 percent groin tear. Brian Leonard will start against an impressively effective Arizona defense in Week 5.
Source: Belleville News-Democrat

Rams coach Scott Linehan confirmed Monday that Marc Bulger will start against the Cardinals in Week 5.

"He is our quarterback, so if he's not in the game, we feel like were not giving ourselves the best chance to win," Linehan said. Bulger will continue to play through two broken ribs. Linehan admits it might've been in the team's best interest to have started Gus Frerotte and given Bulger Week 4 off to heal.

so good news, bad news scenario. if Bulger plays like he did last week i'd rather they started Frerotte.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope the best for Brian under way less than ideal circumstances, and that I'm able to watch this week's game.

G

They must be crazy not pulling Bulger. Sit that guy. Broken ribs, hello? Who cares if he wants to play. He's totally ineffective.

nevada said:
They must be crazy not pulling Bulger. Sit that guy. Broken ribs, hello? Who cares if he wants to play. He's totally ineffective.

I agree Nevada. Although Bulger is a tough Western Pennsylvania QB, keeping him in there at this point is just plain dumb. Gus is a good backup QB. Give some time for Bulger's ribs to heal!
smiley7.gif