Another Smiling Negro

Hockaday

Guru
I found a classic, or at least it was on ESPN Classic, the 1991 Orange Bowl with Norte Dame vs Colorado. The camera pans to a black guy in street clothes being helped back to the field from the locker room.

Announcer: "Darian Hagan limps back to the field with that brilliant smile of his."

Classic.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Columnist Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first informs us that "all story lines" for the upcoming U.S. Open "seem irrelevant compared to this one: What is Tiger's state of mind going to Oakmont?", and then lets loose with this classic: "t took only one look at Woods' pearly whites yesterday to realize he believes his game is approaching Open shape at just the right time. (Is it just me or does he have the brightest, whitest teeth in all of sports?)"

smiley36.gif

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07155/791340-87.stm

Don Wassall said:
Columnist Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first informs us that "all story lines" for the upcoming U.S. Open "seem irrelevant compared to this one:  What is Tiger's state of mind going to Oakmont?", and then lets loose with this classic:  "t took only one look at Woods' pearly whites yesterday to realize he believes his game is approaching Open shape at just the right time.  (Is it just me or does he have the brightest, whitest teeth in all of sports?)"

smiley36.gif

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07155/791340-87.stm

I have been reading the sports pages since 1960 and have never seen a column like this.

LittleRebel

i was out last night and happened to look up at the tv. they had Mcnabb, Garcia and Kolb playing golf together. Mcnabb looked kind of like an amish guy, i was trying to find a picture of him today but was unsuccessful. however i did find this one. yeah and why whould they all be playing golf together...

content_photos.jpg

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jim Reeves of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram declares his undying fondness for Sammy Sosa, replete with a smiling Negro reference in the veryfirst sentence and another one a paragraph later. Why do I get the feeling Reeves is opposed to Mark McGwire being in the Hall?

He was just a scrawny little kid, 16 years old with big eyes and this smile that made people smile along with him, whether they wanted to or not. He was hungry, which is probably why he was always at the front of the line to do everything. Eat. Hit. Run. Throw.

There was no getting away from him. Look up from the clipboard or the stopwatch, and there he was again, smiling, emanating this force field of almost palpable energy.

[url]http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/jim_reeves/st ory/146717.html[/url]

C Darwin

Mentor
Just call Subban the 'humorous Hab'

"It was my hockey school," Kypreos shot back to the wise-cracking kid wearing the red Montreal Canadiens jersey.

The room filled with laughter.

"That's right," P.K. Subban said, turning back to the reporters. "He's right."

More laughter.

"Hey, what does P.K. stand for?" one writer asks.

"Penalty Killer," Subban says without hesitation.

More laughter.

Pernell Karl Subban is a hockey player, and a pretty good one at that. But on this day, he's playing the part of stand-up comedian. Meeting the media after you're selected in the NHL Entry Draft may be a stressful, uncomfortable, sweat-soaked experience for some teenagers.

Subban, however, is not one of them.

"Bobby Orr is my favorite player," he says. "But I like Denis Savard. The spin-o-rama. I like that a lot. It's a big part of my game and it's an honor to be a part of this organization right now. I want to cry right now, but I can't because I'm on TV."

More laughter.

It says in the media guide that his Belleville teammates used to call him "Subbanator."

"A lot of the guys on the team call me that," he says. "There's a couple other names, but I don't know if it's appropriate for here right now."

More laughter.

On a day when many of his peers seem nervous and uncomfortable talking to the press -- some even talking with clenched fists, avoiding eye contact and slouching their shoulders -- Subban conducted a marathon session with the media that ran close to 30 minutes long and sounded like it was accompanied by a laugh track and a late-night TV show set. The kid was cracking jokes, smiling, chatting and being himself.

He is half-defenseman, half-Letterman.

Subban has a special personality. You probably figured that out by now. Even when answering questions about having to overcome racism in sports, he responds with a joke, a smile, and an easy-going nature that will make him a star in Montreal down the line.

Link

Google Search: Subban smile

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jason Sobel of ESPN is overflowing with manlove for Tiger Woods:

Here he is: Tiger Woods, global icon. The tall, muscular, recognizable figure emerges from behind a long black curtain and sits down in front of an interview room filled to standing room only capacity at precisely 1:04 p.m., flashbulbs popping, reporters eagerly awaiting his every word. He mouths the word "wow," in response to the overflowing throng, but it shouldn't surprise him anymore. . .

Here he is: Tiger Woods, new father. Is that smile a little more pronounced than before? . . .

On Wednesday, Woods will play three holes of the pro-am with former President George H.W. Bush, all of which begs the question: Does he have any political aspirations?

"Hell no. Nooooo. No. Uh-uh," he said at a May news conference for the tournament.

But that doesn't mean some other tour players wouldn't like to see it.

"He's got my vote," Heath Slocum said. "I'd vote for him," Quigley said. "I'd definitely vote for Tiger," said Will MacKenzie, adding, "He could do a fantastic job as president. As good a job as any of the other guys, for sure."

The worshipful article in its entirety: [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?columnist=sobel _jason&id=2925129&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1 [/url]

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What do they know about him that makes him think he'd be a good president? Sure, he might be better than Bush, but is that really saying a helluva lot?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Back when Woods was starting off his pro career, his father made a statement to the effect that Tiger would have a much biggerimpact on the world than Mahatma Ghandi or something like that, along with some other outlandish predictions. Maybe Sports Historian or someone else remembers or can find it. The media is certainly doing its part to fulfill Earl's ambitions for his boy.

Don Wassall said:
Back when Woods was starting off his pro career, his father made a statement to the effect that Tiger would have a much bigger impact on the world than Mahatma Ghandi or something like that, along with some other outlandish predictions.  Maybe Sports Historian or someone else remembers or can find it.  The media is certainly doing its part to fulfill Earl's ambitions for his boy. <!-- Message ''"" -->

Don, I don't remember that quote, but it is a sign of the times. I read a book by the late David Halberstam a few years ago, and Halberstam attributed great importance to black athletes with their multi-million dollar endorsement deals. Woods, especially, is reputed to have cosmic significance by the MSM.

Regarding a political future for Woods, last year I predicted that Lynn Swann wouldn't go anywhere as a candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania. Swann, though not as famous, had nearly as positive a reputation as Woods. Most wood-be voters don't regard sports figures as serious people. Is Woods an exception?

sport historian said:
Don Wassall said:
Back when Woods was starting off his pro career, his father made a statement to the effect that Tiger would have a much bigger impact on the world than Mahatma Ghandi or something like that, along with some other outlandish predictions.  Maybe Sports Historian or someone else remembers or can find it.  The media is certainly doing its part to fulfill Earl's ambitions for his boy. <!-- Message ''"" -->

Don, I don't remember that quote, but it is a sign of the times. I read a book by the late David Halberstam a few years ago, and Halberstam attributed great importance to black athletes with their multi-million dollar endorsement deals. Woods, especially, is reputed to have cosmic significance by the MSM.

Regarding a political future for Woods, last year I predicted that Lynn Swann wouldn't go anywhere as a candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania. Swann, though not as famous, had nearly as positive a reputation as Woods. Most wood-be voters don't regard sports figures as serious people. Is Woods an exception?

Sorry, I didn't check my spelling. I meant, "Most would-be voters don't regard sports figures as serious people. Is Woods an exception?"

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From this week's issue of Sports Illustrated we learn that British Open winner Padraig Harrington has "a goofy smile." I wonder if a black athlete's smile has ever been described as anything but dazzling.

sp8.jpg

Realgeorge

Mentor
I digress ... but with this insult from Sports Illustrated in mind, I continue to The Great Blessing:

My beloved National Hockey League is sooooo blessed that ESPN does NOT want to carry their games. It's the biggest blessing ever to hit an all-White sport. The NHL is free to pursue its aims of great Hockey, by White Men, without the 24-7 denigration by White-hating ESPN analysts.

SI and ESPN may as well be the same beast. And only Negroes have a dazzling smile ... and Charisma!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
A few quotes from the following article, on different topics but I decided to post them here. Let me know what you think:

Regarding the Steelers choice of a new mascot named Steelie McBeam, the author had this to say:

Personally, if I were one of the 70,000 people who entered the contest to name the first mascot in franchise history I would have chosen a name that fused Pittsburgh's old-fashioned, hard-working American values with its gritty football past.

My entry: Jeromey McBus.

Oh how the kiddies would have loved his plump face, pearly white smile and bowl-full of jelly ...

Later in the same article he had this to say about Brian Leonard:

The pride of Piscataway is a Steven Jackson knee-buckle away from becoming '07's version of Nick Goings. In his preseason debut, the 6-foot-1, 224-pound bruising fullback bulldozed his way to 66 total yards, including a 10-yard touchdown run, against the vaunted Vikings rush defense. Leonard's unmitigated muscle, sticky fingers and stellar speed makes him a hidden gem late in drafts. Jackson is under contract through the '08 season, making Leonard a potential late-round bargain in dynasty leagues. Fearless Forecast: 75 carries, 337 yds, 15 rec, 52 yds, 4 TDs.

One wonders if he even watched the highlights of the game before writing this stuff.

There are some other gems but these were the most notable.

Bringin' the Noise: Flailin' Fins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
"After some 20, 25 minutes, the bus comes to a stop and its star attraction steps off and poses for photographs in front of his giant likeness painted to cover the entirety of the double-decker. Woods puts his arms around a few of the wannabes and flashes his pearly whites -- the same smile that's become recognizable from so many Sunday evenings spent standing on the final green holding a trophy aloft, the flashbulbs popping as a TV announcer proclaims, "Well, he's done it again, Jim." Woods finishes the impromptu photo shoot and you follow him through a door, down a hallway and toward an awaiting elevator. He gets in. You don't. Some guys have all the luck."

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?columnist=sobel _jason&id=2996620[/url]

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Just think of it Don! The ESPN writer ALMOST got in the same elevator with HIM! Imagine an elevator ride with Tiger AND his pearly whites! (sigh)

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Just think of it Don! The ESPN writer ALMOST got in the same elevator with HIM! Imagine an elevator ride with Tiger AND his pearly whites! (sigh)

I swear jax, these guys gotta be homos. For real. I'm surprised he didn't swoon when Tiger smiled at him. Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun said:
jaxvid said:

I swear jax, these guys gotta be homos. For real. I'm surprised he didn't swoon when Tiger smiled at him.

lol...The smiling negro thing never gets old. Its always the first thing that the caste-system-nuthugging-journalists go for when they can seem to find anything positive to write about one of the affeletes.
smiley36.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
evidently "effusive, room brightening, smiles" extend even to collegiate back-up tailbacks...

during today's Kentucky-Arkansas contest, the announcing crew spent several minutes raving about Felix Jones' incredible smiling ability.
smiley4.gif
wow. just wow.
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Based on this description there's no question backup Browns running back Jason Wright also has a room brightening smile:

Suppose the Browns issued weekly awards for friendliest, most cheerful, most articulate and smartest players. Jason Wright would be in the running for each every week. Another category: most important. This might be the week bright-eyed Mr. Wright contends for that.

[url]http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=17&subCatego ryID=26[/url]

Bart

Hall of Famer
Why do sportswriters find it necessary to describe blacks in such absurd ways?If an afflete is not a multiple felon or total idiot, he will be described in the most glowing terms for functioning at basic levels.

Snip from article: He was a good student at Northwestern who didn't get drafted. His inner makeup and personal charisma got him an NFL foothold. Eventually, it moved him ahead of William Green and Lee Suggs, and is keeping him ahead of Jerome Harrison. He studies more efficiently and processes information better than most.

Skipperron

Guru
I watch and pull for the Pittsburgh Pirates. For the whole last month of the season all we have been bombarded with is a love fest for Nyjer Morgan and his big smile. His love of life and the game. His radiant smile. They have actually had two complete articles about his smile and how nice his mother is. Jeez.

Bart

Hall of Famer
What causes these pathetic twits to writegirlishstuff like this? Yuck.

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AirskvfM4jEApyj3e_deYC Y5nYcB?slug=cr-jaguars121607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns [/url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...=cr-jaguars121607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =yspsctnhdln>
<DIV =title>The real deal</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD height=7><SPACER ="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<STYLE =text/css>
td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }
</STYLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =yspwidearticle>

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
December 16, 2007

PITTSBURGH - When it was all over, David Garrard stood at his locker and pulled down the brim of his Fedora hat, then carefully adjusted the buttons on his suit jacket. His smile and attire were sharp as ice picks. Pick a gangster, and Garrard's wardrobe summoned him. Al Capone. Frank Nitti. Bumpy Johnson.

"Frank Lucas," he would say, mentioning Denzel Washington's ruthlessly heroic villain in the movie "American Gangster."

The look screamed brash and cocky, from the tilted brim of his hat to the tight knot on his violet tie. But Garrard tried to avoid allowing his voice to match the volume on his wardrobe. The point for the Jacksonville Jaguars - fresh from Sunday's impressive 29-22 road win over Pittsburgh - was to let the victory serve as the exclamation mark. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I think it is now required that one must be gay before they can become a sportswriter. That's the only way to explain it.

bigunreal

Mentor
Garrard looked absurd in his pimp outfit, with that Al Capone-style hat on. But it's typical, and totally acceptable, for black affletes to dress this way now. Try and picture any white man dressed like that. They should be lampooned and ridiculed on all the comedy sketch shows and by the lame, wannabe comedians at ESPN. They won't.

Everyone here should be rooting against Jacksonville with all their might. If they ever win a Super Bowl with that virtually all black cast of clowns, then you can probably forget ever overthrowing the Caste System.