2012 NFL Combine

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Harrison Smith runs a solid 4.56 at 6'2'' and 213 pounds. The commentator said he had a bad start and could run faster on his second try.

That's as fast, and even faster, than some of the black cornerbacks have run. IF he was 15 pounds lighter and corner back weight he'd run high 4.4's which is legit cornerback speed.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
That's as fast, and even faster, than some of the black cornerbacks have run. IF he was 15 pounds lighter and corner back weight he'd run high 4.4's which is legit cornerback speed.

I am happy Harrison Smith is having himself a fine showing at the combine. Mayock and Deion Sanders have been very complimentary, in fact Mayock said Harrison will be starting for someone next year and Deion made the comment it doestn't matter if he plays Free Safety of Strong Safety just get that man on the field!

That being said I am pissed off more white safeties DBs did not receive invites.
White DB's deserving of a combine invite

1. Brian Peters SS, Northwestern he's 6'3 220lbs and he probably runs in the 4.6 range. He wrapped up a stellar career in the Big Ten(9 ints) and can lay the wood. But all those white boys at Northwestern have a hard time getting invites to the combine...

2. Cooper Taylor SS, Richmond/Ga Tech 6'3 220lbs another white safety with excellent size and 4.5 speed. NFL draft scout has him as their 22 best SS prospect..

3. Blake Gideon FS, Texas 6'1 205 3 year starter at Texas who recorded 276 stops and 10 picks in his career. Has to be the first 3yr Texas safety to get snubbed by the combine..

4. Sean Baker FS, Ball State 6'1 208 safe to say he's been Ball State's best player throughout the 4 years he's spent there. He had 18 career ints and was active coming up to support the run.

5. Brandon Hardin 6'2 215 FS/CB He's got excellent size and speed but doesnt have the production of some of these other guys.

6. Matt Johnson 6'2 220 SS Eastern Washington another highly productive 4 year starter who saw his senior campaign cut short because of an injury. He's 5th all time at EWU for tackles and he recorded 17ints in his career.

7. Mike McElroy 6'1 212 Free Safety Southern Illinois another FCS hidden gem who recorded 15 ints in his career and 222 tackles.

** Penn State DB's Nick Sukay and Drew Astorino should have also been considered!

Truthteller

Mentor
I am happy Harrison Smith is having himself a fine showing at the combine. Mayock and Deion Sanders have been very complimentary, in fact Mayock said Harrison will be starting for someone next year and Deion made the comment it doestn't matter if he plays Free Safety of Strong Safety just get that man on the field!

That being said I am pissed off more white safeties DBs did not receive invites....

Celtic, Smith's official 40 time has been listed as being 4.57. That makes him faster than the majority of "CORNERBACKS" that ran the 40 yard dash at the combine, according to Rob Rang of draft scout.

Some slug CB from Vanderbilt also ran a 4.57. Looking at the link, 16 CB's ran faster than Harrison Smith....17 ran slower than a 4.57. Let me reiterate, Harrison Smith, a full-sized safety, ran faster than most of the "cornerbacks" at the Combine. Only 9 of the nearly 40 CB prospects ran better than a 4.5...Only two went below 4.4, including a backup from LSU.

Can you imagine how darn slow many of those alleged "superior athletes" listed as safety prospects are?

Cornerbacks, according to Draft scout:

Justin Bethel, Presbyterian - 4.58
Trevin Wade, Arizona - 4.59
Trumaine Johnson, Montana - 4.61
Micah Pellerin, Hampton, 4.61
Charles Brown, North Carolina - 4.63
Antwuan Reed, Pitt - 4.63
Cliff Harris, Oregon, 4.64
De'Andre Presley, Appalachian St. - 4.64
Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina - 4.66
Antonio Fenelus, Wisconsin, 4.68
Mike Harris, Florida St - 4.68
Ryan Steed, Furman - 4.68
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame - 4.70
Winston Guy, Kentucky - 4.70
Leonard Johnson, Iowa State - 4.71
De'Quan Menzie, Alabama 4.74
D'Anton Lynn, Penn St. - 4.77

Irn Bru

There are definitely white CBs unfairly moved to safety, but Smith is actually built like a safety. I just looked up Sean Taylor's stats from the combine, he was 6'2'' 212 and ran a 4.51 40 - almost identical numbers to Smith. Of course Taylor was drafted #5 and Smith will probably be late 1st/early 2nd, but I see him turning into a similar NFL player.

seattlefan

Guru
Good points Truthteller. The typical response to the lack of white CBs is that whites lack the speed. The combine proves otherwise. Only the really elite black CBs put up the 4.3 numbers that whites must have to play the position.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, if true it would be an impressive feat indeed. 44 reps is not bad either, but that's more normal at his mammoth weight

backrow

Hall of Famer
btw Harrison Smith was also second among safeties in 20 yard shuttle, 4.12 and 5th in cone drill.

I did see Wylie drop one, but I bet his hand-eye coordination and balance is better than just about any of the sea of black players he was grouped with.

And why don't scouts test hand-eye coordination and balance? Maybe because black deficiencies in those areas would be exposed, just as the Wonderlic does in the area of intelligence.

Devon Wylie is being called a "Wes Welker type," which is about as good as he could expect.

Irn Bru

Todd McShay on Harrison Smith:

"Smith didn't have an elite workout, but he delivered exactly what you would expect from the best safety in attendance. He checked in at 6-1⅞ and an absolutely shredded 213 pounds and has long arms (32½). He's fluid for his size, flips his hips quickly, and gets in and out of his pedal naturally. Smith attacked the ball nicely, and the 4.57 he ran in the 40 is very good for a safety his size. He's a top-50 player, for sure, and there's an outside chance he could come off the board late in the first round."

I've noticed you rarely hear white players described as "absolutely shredded," so this is a pretty ringing endorsement.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Devon Wylie is being called a "Wes Welker type," which is about as good as he could expect.

Wylie tied for the 6th fastest 40, including WRs, RBs, and DBs and everyone else who ran. He should be drafted as someone's "Wes Welker" and with Shipley and Amendola coming back from IR, 2012 could be a good year for White slot guys.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Todd McShay on Harrison Smith:

"Smith didn't have an elite workout, but he delivered exactly what you would expect from the best safety in attendance. He checked in at 6-1⅞ and an absolutely shredded 213 pounds and has long arms (32½). He's fluid for his size, flips his hips quickly, and gets in and out of his pedal naturally. Smith attacked the ball nicely, and the 4.57 he ran in the 40 is very good for a safety his size. He's a top-50 player, for sure, and there's an outside chance he could come off the board late in the first round."

I've noticed you rarely hear white players described as "absolutely shredded," so this is a pretty ringing endorsement.

indeed:

nfl_a_smith01jr_200.jpg

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Harrison Smith, Luke Keuchly and Tank Carder all performed very well. Harrison Smith might be the highest picked white DB since Weddle.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Pro-caste scouts are drooling over UK sumo DT/NG Dontari Poe (yo) who benched 225 for 44 reps and (supposedly) ran a 4.87 40 y/d.....at 347. :dodgy: :lie:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/dontari-poe-is-a-scary-individual/
Drooling isn't the word Mayock and friends sounded like combination of potential slave masters at an auction and gays hitting a gay strip club....:dizzy::thumbdown:http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d82740138/Potent-Poe

backrow

Hall of Famer
combine wrapup from rotoworld's article,describing best workouts at every position:

Quarterbacks

Andrew Luck (6-4/234), Stanford - Luck's exceptional test results weren't shocking. We saw flashes of his top athletic ability at Stanford; a one-handed sideline catch and a 58-yard run featuring a jarring stiff arm to Cal S Sean Cattouse. While the 4.59 forty, 10'4" broad jump, and 36" vertical are on par with Cam Newton's 2011 Combine measurables, resist the temptation to compare the two. Luck will not have repeated red-zone running plays called for him by his NFL team, but his agility will allow him to buy time and move the defense while leaving the pocket likeAaron Rodgers or Tony Romo. Luck flashed those skills in college.

and this is about Griffin, compared toLuck:

The workout numbers are off the charts, but I still do not consider him in Andrew Luck's "rare" category. Luck throws the football better and his feet move calmly when the pocket is closing. Griffin will not become an elite NFL quarterback because of his ability to run; it has to be with how he throws after sound footwork and decision making. The rest is a bonus.

Kirk Cousins (6-3/214), Michigan State - A three-year captain with 39 career starts, Cousins has plenty of game film for teams to evaluate. He stood out as the Combine's best thrower in passing drills, by all accounts, capitalizing on an opportunity with Luck, Griffin, Ryan Tannehill (foot), and Brock Osweiler (foot) sitting out. Cousins could be termed a safe thrower that fails to test deep sections of the field, but above all successful quarterbacks must make sound decisions -- an area of a passer's game that can only be seen on tape. If Christian Ponder can go in the high first round, it would not surprise me if Cousins sneaks into the top 40. It is tough to not be impressed by how Cousins carries himself in this video.

Offensive Linemen

Matt Kalil (6-7/306), USC - Kalil is the only player in this class that can sniff Andrew Luck's "rare" grade. I absolutely think Kalil is on the same level of Jake Long and Joe Thomas, and he answered questions about his strength (30 bench press reps) and ability to add weight in Indy. Kalil's veteran quality of using his length (34 1/2" arms) to maneuver pass rushers is tough to find in young prospects. Accompany that with balanced footwork and a growing frame and Kalil will be a top-ten left tackle in the NFL sooner than later. I have no doubts about his future.

Linebackers

Luke Kuechly
(6-3/242), Boston College
- Skeptics doubted Kuechly's athleticism entering the Combine, but he answered every question by landing in the top-five linebackers on almost every possible test (4.50 forty, 38" vertical, 10'3" broad jump, 6.92 3-cone, 4.12 20-yard shuttle, 11.43 60-yard shuttle). Kuechly makes quick decisions and is a missile at the second level. Part of me believes he can play both weak-side and inside linebacker, but how valuable is that to an NFL team? Lately, Patrick Willis and Jerod Mayo seem to be the only non-pass rushing linebackers that have produced to their top-12 draft status.

Irn Bru

On the front page of espn.com, their best of the combine heading has a picture of Kirk Cousins, Kalil, and Kuechly running their 40s.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pro-caste scouts are drooling over UK sumo DT/NG Dontari Poe (yo) who benched 225 for 44 reps and (supposedly) ran a 4.87 40 y/d.....at 347. :dodgy: :lie:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/dontari-poe-is-a-scary-individual/

I was watching the NFL Network's Combine wrap-up show with Mike Mayock, Charlie Casserly, Mike Lombardi and "Mooch" discussing who had the most impressive showing. All the athletes were mentioned were black, and when they were oohing and aahing over Poe, Caste Clown supremo Lombardi actually gushed, "There's not an ounce of fat on his body."

DontariPoe_display_image.jpg

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

Harrison Smith has a similar body type to that of Ravens’ safety, Bernard Pollard, but Smith has more speed, athleticism and agility. It would be nice if a team such as New England or Green Bay drafted him in the late 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round. New England, in particular, has a revolving door at safety year-to-year, even game-to-game. Of course, Belichick will instead decide to draft yet another highly-selected chocolate bust to join the dozens of others (Ron Brace, Brandon Meriweather, Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable, Jonathan Wilhite, Darius Butler, Tyrone McKenzie, etc.).

TwentyTwo

Master
Did not watch much of the Combine this year...with only one DB invite Smith(actually the safety Deion Sanders praised the most) and 2 WR's Coale & Wylie...a tough pill to swallow for me.

I thought this to be interesting...tough only 27% of the LB invites were white...The TOP FIVE "3 Cone Drill" Times were ALL white!
Penn State LB Nathan Stupar posted the fasted three-cone drill out of linebackers in the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine with a result of 6.84 seconds. Those that followed included Texas Christian LB Tank Carder (6.89), Southern California LB Chris Galippo (6.90), Boston College LB Luke Kuechly (6.92) and North Carolina State LB Audie Cole (6.96).

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I was watching the NFL Network's Combine wrap-up show with Mike Mayock, Charlie Casserly, Mike Lombardi and "Mooch" discussing who had the most impressive showing. All the athletes were mentioned were black, and when they were oohing and aahing over Poe, Caste Clown supremo Lombardi actually gushed, "There's not an ounce of fat on his body."

DontariPoe_display_image.jpg

Maybe the caste lackey thinks anything under 20% BF qualifies as "not an ounce". :icon_rolleyes: I'm sure this Poe is strong & fast for a DL...but I'm not buying that 4.8 business. Irregardless, I'm sure Poe(yo) will be a top 5 pick w/ these (supposed) stats.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Technically, Caste Clown Lombardi is correct -- Poe doesn't have "an" ounce of fat, he has 800 or so ounces of fat.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
That is undeniably a great workout its a shame more shorter,squater White NT types are not invited to the combine because they would regularly put up them type of bp numbers.Blaine Summer last year put up 52 reps at his pro day.

The German kid Markus Kuhn had a great workout running an official 4.89 at 300lbs.His team mate J Sweezy weighing the same exploded with a 36 inch vertical which was second amongst all the d linemen beating out much smaller defensive ends.That's in the same ball park as Poes 4.8 imo.The vaunted affletic prospects like Blockers,Still and Cox fell well short of 30.Solomon finished joint 4th for vertical and led all the d linemen in the broad jump.They say White men cant jump but them numbers certainly disprove that theory.

Michael Brockers needed to return to LSU for another year. Right now, he's not a "Top 20 talent." He's big, but he's lacking refinement for the position (DT), and doesn't appear to possess brute strength.

He's a draft risk, and I WOULDN'T take him in the 1st round. He may also be lacking in heart.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
[h=1]From Draftdaddy.com

All NFL Combine Snub Team 2012: Offensive Skill[/h]Posted on February 10, 2012 | Leave a comment
081810-CFB-Zach-Collaros-JW_20100818211950_660_320.JPG
In case you missed it, the official NFL Scouting Combine invitation list came out earlier this week. Considered the premier event for draft-ready prospects to showcase their skills prior to the April’s big day, the combine is far from the end all, be all of determining whether a player will boom or bust on the next level. The inevitable Wes Welker example has been echoed a thousand times over, and just as Welker went on to NFL stardom after not receiving a combine invite, we can bet this year’s list of combine “snubs†holds several future Pro Bowlers. Here are some notable offensive skill position players from around the country who didn’t get an invitation.

QB: Zach Collaros, Cincinnati-
To a certain extent I can understand how Collaros gets overlooked. The Big East has been mediocre for most of his career, and his senior year was broken up due to injury. Still, it’s worth pointing out that Collaros was once the poster-boy for a dual-threat Big East quarterback, electrifying the nation as a sophomore in 2009 when he led the Bearcats to five consecutive Big East wins. A key part in helping Brian Kelley’s team get to the Sugar Bowl that season, his size (6-foot-ish) might not be ideal, but when healthy he has the kind of leadership ability and versatile athleticism to make you wonder why an NFL team wouldn’t consider him.

QB- Dan Persa, Northwestern
- Wait a second. Is it just me, or were we talking about this guy as a potential Heisman darkhorse a year ago? It’s no secret Persa’ brilliant junior season was spoiled by an Achilles injury which left him in a limbo-like relationship with starting status in 2011, but he still managed to hit over 74% of his passes, and actually became the NCAA’s career leader in completion percentage. While his mobility was extremely limited last season, he’s shown proved adept at moving in the pocket, and despite standing only slightly over 6-foot, he’s got the kind of pinpoint accuracy that make playing at the next level entirely possible.

WR: Cole Beasley, SMU- People are going to compare this guy to Wes Welker because of his size, skin color, and the kind of offense he played in, but the simple fact is that Beasley is a receiver in every sense of the word
. He’s got great footwork and feel for the dimensions of the field, and once more, he displays a level of toughness and concentration in traffic that are needed on the next level. Despite missing time due to injury as a senior, he stepped up for 79 catches in 2011, and should make a great slot NFL receiver.

WR: Jeremy Ebert, Northwestern-
How a guy who caught 137 balls for over 200 yards and scored 19 touchdowns over the last two years gets left off the combine invite list is beyond me. Like Beasley, it probably doesn’t help that he’s a moderately sized white guy in the slot mold, but to say Ebert lacks ideal speed down the field is to blatantly ignore his highlight film. His numbers would have been even better had Dan Persa been injury free in 2011, but as it stands now he’s going to make one team (the Patriots, perhaps?) happy with a steal in the draft.

TE: Brian Linthicum, Michigan State-
Forget for a second that at 6-foot-5, 245-pounds he has ideal size for coming off the line, but Linthicum is coming off a season in which he caught 31 balls for 364 yards. He has averaged over 10 yards a reception in a pro-style, run heavy Big Ten offense each of the past three years, and is a guy who could immediately step in and play as a second tight end on the NFL level.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Dan Persa has to run in the 4.5-4.6 range to even be considered worth drafting after a terrible injury proned year.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
All in all this will be another depressing draft. Kluechy, Kalil, and Luck will be among the best players in the NFL at their respective positions for years to come but that's about all we have to get excited about. Most likely only two white receivers, Coale and Wylie, will be drafted. I'm sure a few "overachievers" will make some practice squads. Wylie will most likely be screwed and used minimally like fellow white speedster Tim Dwight was.

Probably not a single white defensive tackle gets drafted this year and certainly no white running back. It's the same crap every year.