2012 NFL Combine

bigunreal

Mentor
Well, all concerns about RGIII's height have been laid to rest. Somehow, even though all the rumors were he would be lucky to measure at 6', he came in at well over 6'2. How does that work? Hmm.

This kid is SO full of himself. If Warren Moon becomes involved again, or there is any real pressure brought to bear to make him the #1 overall pick, you can guarantee the Colts will select him over Luck. Look at that clown Irsay- do you think he wouldn't wilt and "do the right thing?"

RGIII's height may be akin to Cam Newton's alleged Wonderlic score last year- highly questionable. I've still yet to hear any jock sniffer say the slightest negative thing about RGIII. They all love him.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Frank Cooney: [COLOR=#0000]New timing method in 40[/COLOR] could lead to culture shock for players.
DD.comment: Link above has the top scores in 6 different drills from the 2000-2011 Combines, so that's extra insentive to check out the story.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Frank Cooney: [COLOR=#0000]New timing method in 40[/COLOR] could lead to culture shock for players.
DD.comment: Link above has the top scores in 6 different drills from the 2000-2011 Combines, so that's extra insentive to check out the story.

I realize scouts have to know if a player is fast, agile, strong, and quick, but how many players listed on all the drills, 40, shuttle, 3-cone drill, bench press, and verticle became Hall of Fame or even great NFL players; I didn't see that many.

I have viewed many highlights of supposed great athletes with speed, but when I watch their film in games, they don't seem to translate on the field.

I truly believe, unless someone here can educate me otherwise, there is a difference in drill speed and field speed! Alot of people can run the drills, but can they get it done when it comes to actually putting on the gear and facing and defeating the opponent on the field.

When and how will we ever measure courage, heart, and determination as qualities to being an NFL player. No matter how great you may be at the combines, you still have to be able to play the game period!

dwid

Hall of Famer
Funny how all the high profile guys without elite top end speed are opting out of the 40 yard dash.....Trent Richardson (had some type of routine knee scope "that wasn't serious"...just in time to not run at the combine but at his pro day). Justin Blackmon won't run because of a hamstring issue and Ashlon Jeffrey says he probably won't, not sure his reason. Yet a high profile guy like Toby Gerhart HAD to run the 40 yard dash and it had to be sub 4.6 to not be considered a fullback and go high in the draft. Had he just ran at his pro day he might have cracked sub 4.5, like around 4.48 or 4.49 (the new track they have been using the past few years is a little slow)

as for RGIII, what do you guys think of him going to the Browns? There are rumors of them trading up to get him, if they stay put there are rumors that will get Trent Richardson. Assuming Hillis stays, getting Richardson would not be good at all for Hillis but getting RGIII would be the end of McCoy's career.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
as for RGIII, what do you guys think of him going to the Browns? There are rumors of them trading up to get him, if they stay put there are rumors that will get Trent Richardson. Assuming Hillis stays, getting Richardson would not be good at all for Hillis but getting RGIII would be the end of McCoy's career.

It all depends what they do with Hillis. If Hillis stays I doubt they'll draft Richardson because they have so many other needs. If Hillis goes I'd just as soon see Griffin go to Cleveland because I detest the Caste Walrus, whose latest feat has been to dismantle the clear progress that was being made under Mangini.

If Hillis stays, they probably will try to move up to draft Griffin (or stay where they are and take Blackmon), but since Hillis is unlikely to be used as a clear feature back by any other team barring injuries, it won't be the end of the world if they take Griffin. What Cleveland really needs to do is upgrade the right side of the line so that Peyton has openings to run through rather than constantly being met at or behind the line of scrimmage. And having a few pro caliber receivers would help too. So would starting Evan Moore at either tight end or wide receiver but that probably won't happen with Shurmer and Holmgren in charge.

Irn Bru

Kalil shows he's elite with 1 of only 2 sub-5.00 40s. Reiff also had a very good 10 yard split, which is key for OL.

Fleener's not working out because of an ankle injury.

DeCastro also performed very well. Todd McShay wrote that he and Kalil both locked up the top OG and OT positions today.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I didn't see combine invite WR Josh Cooper of Oklahoma St. mentioned in the opening post, but otherwise great analysis. Jeremy Ebert should have been invited with his speed and 1000 yards this season. I don't know much about Tyler Shoemaker, but NFLdraftscout has him in the low 4.5 range and he has decent size. He went for 994 yards and 16 TDs on a great 16 YPC this year for 7th ranked BCS team. To me, that's a snub.

Joe Martinek and Cory McCaffrey have the ability to make an NFL roster if they got a chance in training camp or pre-season, but I'm not holding my breath.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I sure hope Devon Wylie pulls out a legit 4.3 40 at the Combine. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Tim Dwight, who had absolute breakneck speed, but was never used properly. The NFL seems to have to need for short white speedsters like Dwight, Bloom, and Devon Wylie.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Martinek has no chance. His numbers were awful last year and my wifes sister is a sophemore at Rutgers. She told me that he would show up at parties the day before a football game drunk out of his mind, and try to convince girls to go home with him because he's a football player. Then after he left everyone would sit around and talk about how stupid he is for getting drunk before a game.

foobar75

Master
It appears that RGIII has vowed everyone at the combine with his charisma and personality. Insane stuff for sure. I truly hope he's out of the league in less than 5 years.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Martinek has no chance. His numbers were awful last year and my wifes sister is a sophemore at Rutgers. She told me that he would show up at parties the day before a football game drunk out of his mind, and try to convince girls to go home with him because he's a football player. Then after he left everyone would sit around and talk about how stupid he is for getting drunk before a game.
I would say that attitude is more of problem ie Jackie Jr from the Sopranos. But he was used as west coast type fullback and showed that he can catch balls in the flat. If he wants to play on Sundays he needs to show that he can do everything but carry the kitchen sink to make a roster as a utility back or an all around fullback.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Danny Coale ran a 4.40 40. Every scouting report called him a possession receiver with no deep speed. How does a guy who runs a 4.4 flat count as a possession receiver? Devon Wylie should run a bit faster than that but who knows.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Funny how Blackmon is considered a top 5 pick, the first wide receiver getting drafted. Barely 6'1 (actually a hair under it). Probably around 4.6 speed (he isn't running today). Great college career with Weeden throwing to him (who would be considered a top pick if he weren't 28 with problems with his arm from baseball).

He is almost identical to Mike Hass, who was also a hair under 6'1, around 4.6 speed and great college production. If you look at the tape they aren't that much different. Everyone thinks Hass was a guy that just found soft spots in zone coverage but he was a pretty physical receiver often having to outjump dbs and would fight for the ball, also good at making people miss in the open field and breaking a few tackles.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Danny Coale ran a 4.40 40. Every scouting report called him a possession receiver with no deep speed. How does a guy who runs a 4.4 flat count as a possession receiver? Devon Wylie should run a bit faster than that but who knows.
I'm looking forward to Madden '13 where they will have Coale at about "85" speed. Heck, I think Kevin Curtis only came in at 88 speed. It's that terrible lack of melanin.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to Madden '13 where they will have Coale at about "85" speed. Heck, I think Kevin Curtis only came in at 88 speed. It's that terrible lack of melanin.

Coale's college teamate Jarrett Boykin ran a pedestrian 4.69(4.7?) forty.:thumbdown: Danny's got some wheels I think he's worked himself in to the top 3 rounds!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Andrew Luck with a 4.59. The amazing supa afflete Darron Thomas only ran a 4.79 best! But unlike Luck, he can get faster because of the unlimited upside.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Wylie ran a 4.37 :horn:
And they label him an "unusual athlete" in their commentary. A few minutes later a black WR ran a 4.37 and they gushed about his speed.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Just watched fat WR Ruben Randle run a 4.56 and they say "he runs faster on the football field than the track" to justify his slowness. Just like another slow WR who ran a 4.65, they said "he's quicker than he is fast" so as to not make everyone think he's just a tight end or a bagger at the grocery store like he would be if he was white with that speed.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
James Rodgers (affletic Oregon State WR) runs a 4.68 and they say "he's a warrior". My son can blow most of these overrated affletes away, and he just turned 15. Carolina Speed's son could, too. The caste-speak at the combine is an amazing thing to behold, every other word by the commentators is more of the same.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yea, its funny how when a white player runs fast it is always a surprise and they have sneaky speed but when a black player runs slow they come up with other ways to try to praise him.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Wylie ran a 4.37 :horn:
Wylie had a bad start, complete with false step on his second attempt and only logs a 4.43. I guess that's now UDFA for the white guy. I didn't hear any props from the announcers for him, unlike the 4.65 black guys who the announcers said "have the ability to get separation without the raw speed".

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Wylie had a bad start, complete with false step on his second attempt and only logs a 4.43. I guess that's now UDFA for the white guy. I didn't hear any props from the announcers for him, unlike the 4.65 black guys who the announcers said "have the ability to get separation without the raw speed".

I actually think Wylie seems to be looked upon favorably for a white wr prospect...I think he will be a 4th round pick...hopefully.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
"He didn't run fast but he is a good football player" - commentator talking about black WR