2012 NFL Combine

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jared Crick has an outside chance to be drafted in the first round as a DT or DE. He should go no later than the third round, but may never play tackle in the NFL due to not meeting the position requirement of being morbidly obese.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think 7/8 d-linemen do get drafted...granted they all won't be DTs but still it's nice to see even that number get drafted. Crick can play anywhere on the line. With teams playing more hybrid 3-4/4-3 defenses this should help him. Same goes for Derek Wolfe. I do agree it is not much to get excited about but I am optimistic those who do get drafted should make an impact.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Another student-afflete to make North Alabama and America proud. For some strange reason I'm willing to bet that this isn't the prolific young gentleman's only "red flag":

North Alabama coach Terry Bowden says he had no idea that CB Janoris Jenkins had four children by three different mothers during Jenkins' one year at the school. Bowden, who does exhaustive background checks on all players accepted to his D-II school, didn't find out until Jenkins told the world during a Combine interview last week. "He has a girlfriend; I’ve had to call him at her house plenty of times," Bowden said. "He never told me any of that stuff." This is the one red flag on Jenkins' off-field history that may scare off the most NFL teams. The fact that Jenkins kept it from Bowden begs the question of whether he's given NFL officials full disclosure during pre-draft interviews.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jared Crick has an outside chance to be drafted in the first round as a DT or DE. He should go no later than the third round, but may never play tackle in the NFL due to not meeting the position requirement of being morbidly obese.

I forgot about Crick but most likely he will be playing defensive end in the NFL.

Danny Coale is probably the only white receiver out of this draft that will see any playing time this year. Teams are already labeling Wylie as a return guy and nothing more. That could mean he ends up like Tim Dwight, extremely underused.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot about Crick but most likely he will be playing defensive end in the NFL.

Danny Coale is probably the only white receiver out of this draft that will see any playing time this year. Teams are already labeling Wylie as a return guy and nothing more. That could mean he ends up like Tim Dwight, extremely underused.

Cole Beasley and Jeremy Ebert have a small chance of being drafted, but if so it will likely be in the 6th round, making them either easily cut, special team demons, or at best forced to serve a long racial apprenticeship on multiple teams before getting any opportunity for meaningful playing time during the regular season.

Highlander

Mentor
"Does he have the speed!!!"

"That time Ebert using his 4.4 speed to blow past the defensive backs of Nebraska."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZuSTp9ARM4

Notice Ebert "pulls away" from these DB's during the chase.

How much you wanna bet that CB Ciante of Nebraska is a 3rd or 4th Round pick in a couple of years?

Yes, it sucks to be on the losing end of Affirmative Action.

I think Ebert is at least as good as Decker, another Big Ten WR.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Cole Beasley and Jeremy Ebert have a small chance of being drafted, but if so it will likely be in the 6th round, making them either easily cut, special team demons, or at best forced to serve a long racial apprenticeship on multiple teams before getting any opportunity for meaningful playing time during the regular season.

The NFL Combine has become a complete joke. I forget the names off hand, but I remember a few black linebackers in recent years running 5 second 40's. They were still drafted and very early. A white linebacker has a hard time being drafted even if he runs a 4.7.

Then you have dozens of black corners that run in the 4.5 range and noone makes a peep. Yet white receivers that run in the 4.5 range are considered "fringe" prospects and nothing more than slot receivers. Look at this Combine for example. Kendall wright runs a 4.61 yet he's still the third ranked wide receiver and probably goes in the first round. Juron Criner ran a 4.68 and he's expected to go no later than round 6. Jarrett Boynkin runs in the 4.7 range and probably gets drafted. No doubt both Beasley and Ebert would have run in the 4.5 range in Indy but they never got that chance. They'll be forced to show their athleticism at Pro Days and the Pro Day workouts are never taken as seriously as the Combine.

Truthteller

Mentor
The NFL Combine has become a complete joke......Then you have dozens of black corners that run in the 4.5 range and no one makes a peep. Yet white receivers that run in the 4.5 range are considered "fringe" prospects and nothing more than slot receivers.

Dozens of CB's running in the 4.5 range? Maybe only the top dozen or so, the others ran a 4.5 flat in their dreams, only? Here are the numbers from Rob Rang of draftscout last week. It seems like almost a dozen corners ran in the the mid-to-high 4.6's or over 4.7?

Some slug from Presbyterian (where the heck is that?) ran a 4.58, same as "instictive" but "unathletic" linebacker Luke Kuechly. 17 CB's ran faster than the Kuechly....16 ran slower than a 4.58. Let me repeat this, Luke Kuechly, a full-sized middle linebacker, ran faster than almost half of the "cornerbacks" at the Combine....Only two went below 4.4, including a backup from LSU.

Cornerbacks, according to Draft scout:

Justin Bethel, Presbyterian - 4.58
Trevin Wade, Arizona - 4.59
Trumaine Johnson, Montana - 4.61
Micah Pellerin, Hampton, 4.61
Charles Brown, North Carolina - 4.63
Antwuan Reed, Pitt - 4.63
Cliff Harris, Oregon, 4.64
De'Andre Presley, Appalachian St. - 4.64
Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina - 4.66
Antonio Fenelus, Wisconsin, 4.68
Mike Harris, Florida St - 4.68
Ryan Steed, Furman - 4.68
Robert Blanton, Notre Dame - 4.70
Winston Guy, Kentucky - 4.70
Leonard Johnson, Iowa State - 4.71
De'Quan Menzie, Alabama 4.74
D'Anton Lynn, Penn St. - 4.77

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The NFL Combine has become a complete joke. I forget the names off hand, but I remember a few black linebackers in recent years running 5 second 40's. They were still drafted and very early. A white linebacker has a hard time being drafted even if he runs a 4.7.

Then you have dozens of black corners that run in the 4.5 range and noone makes a peep. Yet white receivers that run in the 4.5 range are considered "fringe" prospects and nothing more than slot receivers. Look at this Combine for example. Kendall wright runs a 4.61 yet he's still the third ranked wide receiver and probably goes in the first round. Juron Criner ran a 4.68 and he's expected to go no later than round 6. Jarrett Boynkin runs in the 4.7 range and probably gets drafted. No doubt both Beasley and Ebert would have run in the 4.5 range in Indy but they never got that chance. They'll be forced to show their athleticism at Pro Days and the Pro Day workouts are never taken as seriously as the Combine.

One of those black linebackers was New England's Brandon Spikes. He ran a blistering 5.0 at the NFL combine. A 5.1 at his Florida pro-day!

I can still see him coming in after the play is over and everyone is already up and heading back to the huddle and he's just arriving long after the play is over.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
One of those black linebackers was New England's Brandon Spikes. He ran a blistering 5.0 at the NFL combine. A 5.1 at his Florida pro-day!

I can still see him coming in after the play is over and everyone is already up and heading back to the huddle and he's just arriving long after the play is over.

Yeah! Spikes was the one I was thinking about but I'm sure there was another. Absolutely unbelievable how these affletes can get away with poor Combine times but white players are scrutinized from every angle. I can run a 4.8 and I don't train for speed.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
*Eastern Washington Safety Matt Johnson participated in USC's pro day. He measured in at a little of 6 feet and weighed a solid 211. He ran a 4.54, jumped a 38.5 inch vert and recorded 18 reps at bench.

*At Wisconsin's pro day D3 receiver Derreck Carrier put on an absolute athletic clinic! One small school player that turned heads during Wisconsin's pro day was Beloit receiver Derek Carrier. The three sport athlete (Carrier also played basketball and ran track in college) ran under 4.5-seconds after measuring 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds. His other marks included a 40-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and 6.69 seconds during the three cone run. The three cone time was topped by just one receiver at the combine.
Carrier is more than just a good athlete as the Division III wide out caught 75 passes for 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns last season. He left teams scrambling after the workout and received more than two dozen requests for game film from scouts and NFL team officials on hand.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1oWv9bVcp
4e930782f30c8.image.jpg

*There was another small-school prospect that impressed NFL teams today.
Nine franchises made their way to Hamilton, N.Y. to watch running back Nate Eachus workout during the Colgate pro day. The four-year starter whose amassed 4,485 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns, posted a best time of 4.56 seconds in the 40 after measuring 5-foot-10 and 214 pounds. His other marks included a vertical jump of 37.5 inches as well as 24 reps on the bench.
After position drills Eachus sat privately and met with a pair of NFL teams for two hours

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1oWvSmmyv

Great find Celtic. I hope they dont convert this kid to tight end. I live right near Hamilton College and I still don't think Eachus will be on a roster next fall but I wish him the best.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Great find Celtic. I hope they dont convert this kid to tight end. I live right near Hamilton College and I still don't think Eachus will be on a roster next fall but I wish him the best.

Me too but castewhores at NFL.com are already implying that the NFL sees him as a TE:doh:. Good write up until the very end.. He has elite athleticism much better than Alshon Jeffrey(similar size but much slower). Why not have him lose 10lbs and split him out wide? He'd be dominant.

Derek Carrier, WR (6-3 3/8, 238) — He was one of the five-non Wisconsin players who worked out. He probably got himself drafted Wednesday. Everyone will be headed to Beloit to study his game tape. He ran 4.50 and 4.50 in the 40, had a 38-inch vertical, 10-2 broad jump, 4.09 short shuttle, 6.70 cone drill (now, that’s a fantastic cone drill), and did 15 strength lifts. Scouts think that he would be converted into a TE.

As for Eachus he's built like a tank and has solid enough speed to be effective in the NFL. Here's to hoping he defies the odds!

dwid

Hall of Famer
Jeremy Ebert runs a 4.38 40 at pro day!
Wow that means we will have at least 4 wide receivers running in the 4.4 range or lower (Assuming Shoemaker runs his expected 4.4 40). Danny Coale's adjusted time is 4.5 but I don't believe that, and I think he can get low 4.4, possibly high 4.3 at his pro day Not to mention 3 of them are at least 6 foot so it would be harder to caste them into the slot role.. Too bad he wasn't invited along with Shoemaker.

Highlander

Mentor
Travis Sandersfeld (CB, S) Colorado, shined during CU's Pro Day:

"Three Buffs -- defensive back Travis Sandersfeld, wide receiver Toney Clemons and fullback Evan Harrington -- definitely raised their stock, but how much won't be known until draft day.

Sandersfeld turned in the second longest broad jump (10 feet, 6 inches) and the second highest vertical jump (37 inches) of the day along with some decent times in sprints and cone drills."

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_20132947...fl-cu-buffs-pro-timing-day?source=most_viewed

Broad Jump: 10'6"

Vertical Jump: 37"

Bench Reps: 20

40 Yard Dash: 4.52

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.21

60 Yard Shuttle: 11.59

3 Cone 7.03

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Travis Sandersfeld (CB, S) Colorado, shined during CU's Pro Day:

"Broad Jump: 10'6"

Vertical Jump: 37"

Bench Reps: 20

40 Yard Dash: 4.52

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.21

60 Yard Shuttle: 11.59

3 Cone 7.03
The only problem with Sandersfeld is that he's slow, only a 4.52 40. Nevermind that most black DB's don't run this fast, the myth on draft day is that all melanin-enhanced folk run 4.3's. And even if his 40, 3-cone, and shuttle are lightning-quick, he's still "tight hipped", "lacks burst", and "doesn't have the next gear" and all of the normal caste-nonsense that apply only to affletes.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Colin Zych(2011) of Harvard has the measurables to be a Corner but is forced to be an undersized Free Safety. This is from an article draftdaddy linked regarding the NFL's new regional combines.

Someday, Zych, who was friends with NBA sensation Jeremy Lin when they were both at Harvard, hopes to have his own story about making it big out of the Ivy League. A free safety, he had a vertical leap of 35 1.2 inches and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 and 4.44 seconds.
He made it to the last cut with the Cowboys last summer.
“I felt like the lockout kind of hurt me in the process as an undrafted guy,â€￾ Zych said. “My takeaway from camp was that I can play at that level.â€￾

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Some pro day and draft news from around the country!

Former Michigan State receivers Brian Linthicum and Keith Nichol look to catch scouts' attention at Michigan State pro day.

Closer look at ex-Western Michigan defensive tackle Drew Nowak, who's hoping to continue his football career in the N.F.L.

Former Ball State star strong safety Sean Baker showed excellent strength doing 24 reps (225lbs) at his Pro Day.

Former wide receiver/quarterback Keith Nichol among N.F.L. prospects that impressed scouts at Michigan State's pro day.

"Best hustle of the day might have come from special teamer Brad Sonntag. The 5-foot-7, 177-pounder had a 35 1/2-inch vertical leap, did 16 reps on the bench and showed scouts perhaps the best hands of the day. He could draw interest as an NFL free agent
."

Former Tennessee Vols linebacker Austin Johnson might project as a fullback in the N.F.L.

Last edited:
Great news coming out of Draftdaddy.com . The one unbiased site on the web when it comes to football. CB/FS Brandon Hardin ran a 4.38 forty at his pro day. He weighed in at his usual 215 lbs. which is awesome. He apparently had a great workout in other drills and there is now some NFL chatter of keeping him at corner back. With the influx of taller wide receivers in the league maybe he will stick at corner.
Also Arizona State's wr, Aaron Plugrad , ran a 4.55 and he seemed very confident he will be playing in the NFL next year even if he dosen't get drafted. Its nice to see a white player talk with a little bravado.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Great news coming out of Draftdaddy.com . The one unbiased site on the web when it comes to football. CB/FS Brandon Hardin ran a 4.38 forty at his pro day. He weighed in at his usual 215 lbs. which is awesome. He apparently had a great workout in other drills and there is now some NFL chatter of keeping him at corner back. With the influx of taller wide receivers in the league maybe he will stick at corner.
Also Arizona State's wr, Aaron Plugrad , ran a 4.55 and he seemed very confident he will be playing in the NFL next year even if he dosen't get drafted. Its nice to see a white player talk with a little bravado.

Hardin's built like a greek god and he has elite size and speed. It's ridiculous he wasn't deemed worthy of a combine invite. I've been impressed with our skill players putting up incredible numbers especially showing great strength in bench press and running great 40 times!

I noticed reading the Sean Baker pro day link that wr Briggs Orsborn jumped an 11'9' broad and i wonder whether that is a typo,a 10'9' would have been outstanding.11'9' is insane and literally juming out of the stadium.That mark not only would have beaten but shattered the combine all time record of 11'4'.Keith Nichol also jumped just under 40 inches for the vertical.

The NFL draft process is very disconcerting because its blatantly racist.A guy like Ebert runs a 4.38 at his pro day,dominates in a big conference without his starting QB alot of the time yet is ranked a lowly 82 on draft scouts rankings.Yet small schoolers like Elvis Akpa from Montana state is ranked as a 7th round prospect.Shoemaker is also ranked lowly.There's 3 White wideouts in Wylie,Coale and Ebert that have run sub 4.4 at either combine or pro day,Shoemaker is bigger so probably wont run a sub 4.4 but he should run in the 4.4 range at 220.Coale and Wylie seem to be draft locks but there's no way four White guys with 4.4 speed will be drafted.One or two of these guys will go undrafted to keep with the ratio.
I think the problem with many of our guys getting on an NFL roster via the free agent route is they are going to knock other talented 2nd year guys off the practice squad or team altogether. WR's like Schoemaker, Pflugrad, Carrier and Ebert may not get drafted ( though they should ) , they will probably knock off talented yet untested guys like Hastings, DePalma and Chad Hall to name a few.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

Pflugrad also threw up 22 reps on the benchpress, which would have tied him for the top mark by a wide receiver had he been at the Combine. not bad, especially considering he is just 5-10, 180-pounds.

with his elite quickness, strength, and hands like glue, Aaron should make a fine slot receiver for any team not scared away by his melanin deficiency.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
http://www.huntingdonhawks.com/sports/fball/2011-12/bios/pearcy_cody_arr2

Cody Searcy had a great pro day - Tiny Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Alabama earned notice in the scouting community when receiver Cody Pearcy stole the show during the Alabama State pro day. Pearcy, a Division III all-American receiver who registered 44 receptions for 766 yards and 8 touchdowns last season, turned in a workout that would've made combine king Stephen Hill jealous. His numbers included 4.31 seconds in the 40, 3.76 seconds in the short shuttle, 6.7 second in the three-cone, a vertical jump of 44 inches and 10-6 in the broad jump. Only his marks in the broad jump and three-cone were bettered by receivers at the combine.

hmmm - wonder why he was a division 3 player

dwid

Hall of Famer
http://www.huntingdonhawks.com/sports/fball/2011-12/bios/pearcy_cody_arr2

Cody Searcy had a great pro day - Tiny Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Alabama earned notice in the scouting community when receiver Cody Pearcy stole the show during the Alabama State pro day. Pearcy, a Division III all-American receiver who registered 44 receptions for 766 yards and 8 touchdowns last season, turned in a workout that would've made combine king Stephen Hill jealous. His numbers included 4.31 seconds in the 40, 3.76 seconds in the short shuttle, 6.7 second in the three-cone, a vertical jump of 44 inches and 10-6 in the broad jump. Only his marks in the broad jump and three-cone were bettered by receivers at the combine.

hmmm - wonder why he was a division 3 player

holy crap those numbers are off the charts, that much quickness and explosiveness to go with his straight line speed?

We all know how he wound up playing d3 but lets hope he gets a shot. If he isn't even offered a tryout I wonder what they will say