2001 - Josh Reed, LSU
2000 - Antonio Bryant, Pittsburgh
1999 - Troy Walters, Stanford
1998 - Troy Edwards, La Tech
1997 - Randy Moss, Marshall
1996 - Marcus Harris, Wyoming
1995 - Terry Glenn, Ohio St
1994 - Bobby Engram, Penn State

A couple of great players, a lot of journeymen, a couple of flops.

How many were first round picks?
How many started as a rookie for the team that drafted them?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Tartan Pride said:
Upon further review, Mike Hass is not alone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Harris

Click on the little globe, 4th from the left, and paste the link address into the boxes that come up in order to make it an active link:

Second, what is your point? Are you saying that Haas is no better than a journeyman or a washout? How the hell would anyone know that? No one has seen him on the field.

And don't say the scouts and coaches would start them if they were good enough. I mean, how much can you trust guys that wait til the 6th round to draft Tom Brady?

Bear Backer

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Tartan Pride said:
The Biletnikoff winners:

2006 - Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech
2005 - Mike Hass, Oregon State
2004 - Braylon Edwards, Michigan
2003 - Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh
2002 - Charles Rogers, Mich St
2001 - Josh Reed, LSU
2000 - Antonio Bryant, Pittsburgh
1999 - Troy Walters, Stanford
1998 - Troy Edwards, La Tech
1997 - Randy Moss, Marshall
1996 - Marcus Harris, Wyoming
1995 - Terry Glenn, Ohio St
1994 - Bobby Engram, Penn State

A couple of great players, a lot of journeymen, a couple of flops.

How many were first round picks?
How many started as a rookie for the team that drafted them?
First year of service:

Calvin Johnson (1st round)
31 Rec 485 yds 4td (10 appearances through 13 games)

Braylon Edwards (1st round)
32 Rec 512 yds 3 td (10 games)

Larry Fitzgerald (1st round)
58 Rec 780 yds 8 td (16 games)

Charles Rogers (1st round)
22 Rec 243 yds 3 td (5 games)

Josh Reed (2nd round 4th pick)
37 Rec 509 yds 2td (16 games)

Antonio Bryant (2nd round 31st pick)
44 Rec 733 yds 6td (16 games)

Troy Walters (Undrafted)
1 Rec 5 yds 0 td (12 games)

Troy Edwards (1st round)
16 Rec 61 yds 6td (16 games)

Randy Moss (1st round)
69 Rec 1313 yds 17td (16 games)

Terry Glenn (1st round)
90 Rec 1132 yds 6td (15 games)

Bobby Engram (2nd round 22nd pick)
33 Rec 389 yds 6td (16 games)

Mike Hass (6th round 2nd pick)
0 Rec 0 yds 0td (0 games in one year and 13 weeks)Shameful
smiley7.gif
Edited by: Bear Backer

Bear Backer

Mentor
remark22 said:
Was Archuletta inactive today?

That sat him in favor of Brandon McGowan. If one thing is consistent about the Bears under Lovie Smith's regime is that the team has to have a scapegoat for their struggles. As a team the Bears have no accountability, because Lovie Smith doesn't enforce it. Archuleta is the Bears scapegoat on defense. Whatever the defensive problem are, Archuleta is the guy that takes the heat. On offense it is either Rex Grossman or Cedric Benson. Rex and Cedric have earned their harsh criticism at times this year, Archuleta has not. He has pretty much played hard and hurt but he always get's blamed for coverage even though that is not supposed to be his role in Lovie Smith's Tampa 2 defense. The problem for the Bears secondary is not Archuleta, he is doing his role. The Bears have two mediocre CB's and injuries to Nathan Vasher and Mike Brown and a backup FS in Daniel Manning who can't cover anyone. They knew bringing in Archuleta was bringing in a guy who is a hybrid S/Linebacker, the problem is that Slick Angelo and Lovie Smith went into the season with no quality depth in the secondary.Edited by: Bear Backer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thanks Bear Backer. It was kind of a rhetorical question, because as far as I know, other than Mike Haas the only other Biletnikoff award winner to never set foot on the field in the NFL is Marcus Harris.

I don't know anything about Harris. I don't know if they merely believed he wasn't good enough to play or if he suffered some kind of career ending injury or what. Regardless, there is no way Haas should not have seen the field some time, some where, this year - either for New Orleans or the Bears. No way.

p.s. I think Walters was drafted in the 5th round.

Marcus Harris, I kinda remember him. I was too young to remember if he had pro potential. I think he was african-american or at least partly (1/2 black 1/2 white) so.

Texas Tech said:
whiteafflete15 said:
Right now it's somewhat understandable that Pittman's playnig since he had a decent performance not too long ago. But if his production drops (like it has been), so should he, just like what happened to Leonard and either Leonard or another back should supplant him.

Like I said before.  Teams are very superstitious.  They tend not to make changes when they're winning.

Don't forget he has the best hands on the team, maybet the league, so he won't add to that 8% drop rate you mentioned. Biletnikoff award winners have always shown they can be productive NFL players, if not superstars.

If he hasn't played a snap, you don't know how good or bad his hands are.  Calvin Johnson had great hands in college and practice.  In actual games, he hasn't.

I wouldn't call 18th in the league for pass attempts "pass happy." Do the math. 32 teams. 18th. That means more than half the NFL teams pass more than the Bears. Plus, no team EVER wants drops, regardless of how many times you throw the ball. Next time you come here and argue, at least make halfway decent arguments.

Sorry, but I've done the math.  When 9 other teams have more passing attempts, you're 10th in the league in attempts.  The Redskins are 18th.

I never said teams "want" dropped passes.  Pitchers don't want walks or wild pitches.  Batters don't want to strike out.  Basketball players don't want bricked shots.  However, being that athletes are human, and not robots, wild pitches, strikeouts, bricked shots, and drops are a part of their respective games.  Coaches use a risk/reward ratio to evaluate whether each particular player's positives are worth absorbing their negatives (dropped passes, fumbles, etc).

<TABLE ="shsTable shsGriddedTable" cellSpacing=1>
<T>
<TR =shsRow0Row>
<TD =shsNumD>1t </TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[COLOR=#0000ff">Reggie Bush[/COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?team=18"]<SPAN =shsLogo><SPAN =team18sm></SPAN></SPAN>[COLOR=#0000ff">NO[/C OLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNumD>8</TD></TR>
<TR =shsRow1Row>
<TD =shsNumD>1t </TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6360&team=11"][COLOR=#0000ff">Dallas Clark[/COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?team=11"]<SPAN =shsLogo><SPAN =team11sm></SPAN></SPAN>[COLOR=#0000ff">Ind[/ COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNumD>8</TD></TR>
<TR =shsRow0Row>
<TD =shsNumD>1t </TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7179&team=05"][COLOR=#0000ff">Braylon Edwards[/COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?team=05"]<SPAN =shsLogo><SPAN =team5sm></SPAN></SPAN>[COLOR=#0000ff">Cle[/C OLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNumD>8</TD></TR>
<TR =shsRow1Row>
<TD =shsNumD>1t </TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6809&team=18"][COLOR=#0000ff">Devery Henderson[/COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?team=18"]<SPAN =shsLogo><SPAN =team18sm></SPAN></SPAN>[COLOR=#0000ff">NO[/C OLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNumD>8</TD></TR>
<TR =shsRow0Row>
<TD =shsNumD>1t </TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5463&team=28"][COLOR=#0000ff">Santana Moss[/COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?team=28"]<SPAN =shsLogo><SPAN =team28sm></SPAN></SPAN>[COLOR=#0000ff">Was[/ COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNumD>8</TD></TR>
<TR =shsRow1Row>
<TD =shsNumD>1t </TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=3664&team=06"][COLOR=#0000ff">Terrell Owens[/COLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNamD>[url="http://hosted.stats.com/fb/teamstats.asp?team=06"]<SPAN =shsLogo><SPAN =team6sm></SPAN></SPAN>[COLOR=#0000ff">Dal[/C OLOR">[/url]</TD>
<TD =shsNumD>8</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

These 6 guys are the NFL Leaders in Passes Dropped through Thursday.  Coaches feel what they bring to the table far outweighs the negatives of 8 dropped passes.  It's a lost down, not a turnover, or lost points.  They're not the end of the world as we know it.  Yea, lets cut TO and Braylon Edwards because of 8 lost downs.. even though they stretch the field, and will make it up on the very next play. 

Alex Rodriguez, Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Carlos Pena, and Adam Dunn had 747 strikeouts between them.  Those outs were a small price to pay for their in consideration of their 237 home runs.  That's how it works.

The Bears were 18th when I last checked. Those numbers have changed since last night Hass was amazing in college at catching the ball. You use Calvin's lack of productivity to prove your point but it doesn't work in this case, because Hass has never seen the field so we can't say otherwise. Give the guy a chance to prove himself before you assume he drops everything. When a guy is that good, you put him in there thinking he'll produce. If he doesn't then you take him out. But Hass hasn't been given a chance, and with his talent it's a joek he hasn't yet. And guess what? Berrian is not TO, not Clark, and not even Moss. Moose has been slow and awful. You cannoit argue that their value outweighs their drops, as the team has not been winning. Berrian is teh only one you can even attempt to make that excuse for since he is their supposed deep threat. As for Moose, he is their POSSESSION receiver. His value is supposed to be in simply making the catch and moving the chain.s He has failed miserably in doing his job. For a #2, his numbers are pretty embarassing. It's not hard to figure out, I don't know why you have so much tropuble with it.

And I say don't ban TT. The point of the site is to make improvement, to inform others of the obvious existence of the unfair caste system. The point is to convince others and spread the word. Otherwise, we're treating him just as the guys who ban us in forums treat us when we bring up race. It would be hypocriticalI think, plus it's not liek he's saying absolutely ridiculous things, it does seem like he's actually attempting to make arguments, although they are very poor. If we only want to hear the opinions of peopel we agree with then this site is only about bitching about the treatment of white players and never trying to do anything about it.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Getting back to week 13...

The league's quickest and toughest player, the undrafted Wes Welker should go over 1,000 yards on the season tonight if he can get 122 yards.

I'll be waiting on pins and needles because I'm actually excited to watch them destroy the Ravens (who actually start 2-3 whites on defense this season and a majority O-line, QB, and TE).

I wonder how ALL 32 teams could have overlooked Welker's talent and natural ability? Very strange...

Also, I really like what Stokley has been doing late in the season. With 3 games to go, he needs to avg about 120 yards to reach 1,000. Not likely, but I'm glad he's doing relatively well. Kevin Curtis needs 96 yards total with 3 games remaining to reach 1,000. Oh, how I've waited for this day!

Angelcynn

Guru
Does anyone find the NFL websites highlight presenters extremely annoying? The main guy is annoying because he will act immature when his assistant buffoon will come up with ridiculous un-educated ghetto comments such as constantly calling Justin Fargas 'the son of Huggy Bear'? I'm guessing Fargas just aint black enough because he always gets called Huggy Bear by this black buffoon every week even on great plays. The main presenter will normally sound shocked when a white guy makes a good play or scores a TD, while the black buffoon is 'always' silent when a white guy scores a TD or a makes a good play. He will never back them up with a positive comment unless they are black.

Annoying things I picked out from this weeks NFL highlights was Luke Lawton was mocked for his TD with a darth vadar impression 'luke I am your father' just after the main guy had sounded very suprised that Utecht made a very good play by breaking a tackle. AJ Feely is mocked on most plays by the black buffoon who says 'Feeeeeeeely' in a really annoying tone. Tim Dwights TD which was the first of the game was not shown in order to make way for some lame highlights of JeMarcus Russell in which they praised his plays even though they were nothing special and then said nothing about his awful fumble. I could go on and on but it's pointless as you are all probably very used to this where as I am not.

One last thing, I've never really looked into Tim Dwight, but I looked at his career stats and I just can't believe he has never been a regular starter (apart from 2002) in any of his 9 seasons in the NFL. His yard averages are unbelievable!!! He has to be one of thee most caste screwed players ever considering how talented he is! Sorry I know you all already know this but I am new to it and I think it's absolutly CRAZY! I wonder if Tim actually realises he has been racially screwed over [:s] ?

G

White Shogun said:
Tartan Pride said:
Upon further review, Mike
Hass is not alone:

Click on the little globe, 4th from the left, and paste the link address into
the boxes that come up in order to make it an active link:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Harris" target="_blank">http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Harris</a>

Second, what is your point? Are you saying that Haas is no better than a
journeyman or a washout? How the hell would anyone know that? No one
has seen him on the field.

And don't say the scouts and coaches would start them if they were good
enough. I mean, how much can you trust guys that wait til the 6th round
to draft Tom Brady?

This should give you and idea of what I'm trying to say:

A couple of years ago I heard a black commedian on one of these silly
late night programs say:

I have an uncle who makes everything into a conspiracy theory. We walk
through the store and and he says "think about it, how come the black
olives are cut up and emasculated held inside a white mans aluminum
jail, while the caucasian Greek olives are alowed to be whole and sit out in
the sunlight."

That's what a lot of people do here. Everything turns into a conspiracy.
The heisman trophy winner for BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER IN
AMERICA! who won a national championship got drafted in the fifth
round and is a third string QB on a team with two bad QBS. So what, no
conspiracy there, Troy Smith is just not good enough. Here are some
other Best college football players over the last 20 years:

1989Andre WareHouston& nbsp;QBJr.&n bsp;
1990Ty DetmerBrigham YoungQB&nbsp ;Jr.

1991Desmond HowardMichigan&nbs p;WRJr.&nbsp ;
1992Gino TorrettaMiami (Fla)QB&nbsp ;Sr.
1993Charlie WardFlorida StateQB&nbsp ;Sr.

1994Rashaan SalaamColorado&nbs p;RBJr.&nbsp ;
1996Danny WuerffelFlorida&nb sp;QBSr.&nbs p;
1998Ricky WilliamsTexas&nbsp ;RBSr.
1999Ron DayneWisconsin&nbs p;RBSr.&nbsp ;
2000Chris WeinkeFlorida StateQB&nbsp ;Sr.

2001Eric CrouchNebraska&nbs p;QBSr.&nbsp ;
2003Jason WhiteOklahoma&nbsp ;QBJr.

2005Reggie BushUSC&nbsp ;RBJr.
2006Troy SmithOhio StateQB&nbsp ;Sr.

Some white, mostly black, all somewhere between mediocore and a total
bust.

How about on defense with the butkis award

2003 - Teddy Lehman, Oklahoma
2001 - Rocky Calmus, Oklahoma
1999 - LaVar Arrington, Penn State
1996 - Matt Russell, Colorado
1995 - Kevin Hardy, Illinois
1994 - Dana Howard, Illinois
1993 - Trev Alberts, Nebraska
1992 - Marvin Jones, Florida State
1991 - Erick Anderson, Michigan
1990 - Alfred Williams, Colorado
1989 - Percy Snow, Michigan State
1987 - Paul McGowan, Florida State
1986 - Brian Bosworth, Oklahoma
1985 - Brian Bosworth, Oklahoma

Nation's best linebacker; yeah ok.

Hell, Don McPherson won the Maxwell and the Davey O'Brien Rob Waltrop
won the Bednarik and Pat Fitgerald won it TWICE.

The point is that sometimes what you do in college doesn' t translate to
the pros. You guys make some excellent points but sometimes...Lovie
Smith is now 5-7 like any other coach his job is constantly on the line,
and he has to win, why would he keep a guy on the bench that is better
than the guys he has? White recievers seem to prime out a little later
anyway such as Eddie Berlin, Danny Farmer, Kevin Curtis, etc. So all I can
say is that mike is on the bus now he just needs to keep working.

Honestly guys, do we really want to sound like those blacks who say the
fireman's test is racist just because there are no blacks who can pass it?

smiley11.gif

TheEnglishman said:
Does anyone find the NFL websites highlight presenters extremely annoying? The main guy is annoying because he will act immature when his assistant buffoon will come up with ridiculous un-educated ghetto comments such as constantly calling Justin Fargas 'the son of Huggy Bear'? I'm guessing Fargas just aint black enough because he always gets called Huggy Bear by this black buffoon every week even on great plays. ?

Justin Fargas is Huggy Bear's son is why(I forget the actor's name). He should be the odd man out at the Raiders, but he's competitive and doesn't sit on his ass, so he gets playing time despite them having LaMont Jordan and Dominic Rhodes.
smiley36.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, they do it to further reinforce the notion that it's his black half that does all the running
smiley2.gif

G

TP I could give a crap about "conspiracies" its the attitudes of the followers in college and pro ball that need a changin.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Tartan Pride said:
A couple of years ago I heard a black commedian on one of these silly
late night programs say:

I have an uncle who makes everything into a conspiracy theory. We walk
through the store and and he says "think about it, how come the black
olives are cut up and emasculated held inside a white mans aluminum
jail, while the caucasian Greek olives are alowed to be whole and sit out in
the sunlight."

That's what a lot of people do here. Everything turns into a conspiracy.

Your joke analogy is ridiculous. We havemanyvery bright posters who have contributed arguments that are well researched and insightful. Read some of JB Cash's articles to further your education. We don't wear tin-foil hats here.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Getting back to week 13...

The league's quickest and toughest player, the undrafted Wes Welker should go over 1,000 yards on the season tonight if he can get 122 yards.

I'll be waiting on pins and needles because I'm actually excited to watch them destroy the Ravens (who actually start 2-3 whites on defense this season and a majority O-line, QB, and TE).

I wonder how ALL 32 teams could have overlooked Welker's talent and natural ability? Very strange...

Also, I really like what Stokley has been doing late in the season. With 3 games to go, he needs to avg about 120 yards to reach 1,000. Not likely, but I'm glad he's doing relatively well. Kevin Curtis needs 96 yards total with 3 games remaining to reach 1,000. Oh, how I've waited for this day!

Thrashen the Eagles have 4 games remaining. That give Curtis an extra game to rack up yardage.Lets hope for 1200 yards.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Check out what some self hating white on the net had to say about Wes Welker.

Pats give monster offer sheet to Dolphins WR Wes Welker submitted by Beavercat
March 04, 2007 | 1 comment |Email to a Friend The NE Patriots were a little out of character in signing versatile WR Wes Welker to a monster offer sheet, reportedly around $37 million over 6 years. If the Miami Dolphins doesn't match the offer, they will receive a 2nd round pick from the Pat. I would guess the Pats wish they hadn't dealt Deion Branch prior to the '06 season for a 1st round pick, given he signed for similar dollars with the Seattle Seahawks...or said differently they've essentially upgraded a round in this year's NFL draft but dropped from Deion Branch to Wes Welker....maybe I'm missing something but 5 foot 9 inch undrafted white wide receivers aren't quality starters...yet at nearly $6 million per season he's surely being paid like one. I thought the Nate Clements signing was excessive but this is far worse...

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Wow, reading that turd of an analysis makes me positive of 2 facts:

1) This pussy writer (if you can call him that) has never seen Welker play in College or on the Dolphins (where he was literally their ONLY good offensive player...in years).

2) He's been eating his stupid words ALL season long, bigtime.

Haha, all while Branch has done nothing but suck majorly, get injured, and drop passes with the Seahawks (where he was their new "go-to" guy). Like I said, Wes Welker will win the Superbowl MVP this season.Edited by: Thrashen

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The sad part is that most of the white fans think the same way as this guy. Noone can tell me that out of the whole U.S. population we can only have one Kevin Curtis and one Wes Welker. The rest of the whites who play football must be slow. Yea right.

backrow

Hall of Famer
damn, Kelly Gregg denied Heath Evans the endzone!

WOW, Brady just messed up big time, didn't see a wide open Welker in the endzone and tried to lob i to Watson, who dropped a pass...
smiley7.gif

and what a play by oft critisized Kyle Boller! he escaped from two flabking pass rushers and threw a laser pass to his receiver. nice!Edited by: backrow

Bear Backer

Mentor
Dang!!Kyle Boller is having a pretty nice game and outplaying Brady so far. For some reason I am always rooting for this guy even though I don't really like the Ravens at all. I guess because he has had to put up with so much crap out there in Steve McNair land.

that brady pic was bullsh*t! welker was hit before the pass came in causing that deflection! awful officiating. and i agree brady definately missed welker