WR Weston Dressler

TwentyTwo

Master
Weston Dressler officially signs with Chiefs

The Chiefs have signed Canadian Football League star Weston Dressler to a futures contract, hoping he can bolster a relatively weak wide receiver corps.

The 28-year-old Dressler has spent the past six years in the CFL, where he caught 442 passes for 6,531 yards and 43 touchdowns for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He caught 70 passes for more than 1,000 yards and nine TDs in helping the Roughriders win the Grey Cup.

The Chiefs have not announced the signing, which appeared on the NFL's transaction report.

Dressler was a standout at North Dakota but never generated much interest from the NFL. He is listed at 5-foot-7, 179 pounds.

The Chiefs could be looking at Dressler to replace wide receiver Dexter McCluster, who is due to become a free agent.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/weston-dressler-officially-signs-with-chiefs-1.2524118

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
That's awesome its a shame he had to spend 6in the cfl but hey at least he was developing his skills getting ready for the big show! I remember this guy well he was on the come up when I first joined this site!

dwid

Hall of Famer
I think its a bad idea, he should stay in the CFL. The NFL is only going to allow so many featured White wideouts. He is going to be a rarely used slot receiver, and they already had a guy who was up and coming in Devon Wylie that should have gotten at a shot to replace McCluster.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
I think dwid said it just right. On the other hand he most likely is gonna make more cash than he has in all six years of CFL.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I think dwid said it just right. On the other hand he most likely is gonna make more cash than he has in all six years of CFL.

true about the cash, I think he started making around 120k a year in 2011, a 3 year deal, which was considered a steal, but also around what top non qbs make there (there are a few who make 200k). So in that 3 years he made less than one year of NFL league minimum. On the plus side he can always go back. Thats what White receiver Andy Fantuz did, think he made more money making it til September when he was waived than he does annually (85k)

There has been talks of increasing CFL player salaries, about the big gap about the profits they are making and what the players are making and comparing it to what NHL players make, its ridiculously low. For the Arena League salaries, min is 31k, players make up to 164k and it says the average player makes about 80 to 85k.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's encouraging that Dressler is getting some respect from the media and even already from some fantasy sites. The Chiefs are weak at WR and hopefully Dressler will be given an opportunity to be their "Wes Welker" and run with it. Alex Smith loves the short passing game, and with Weston and possible star TE Travis Kelce now healthy after a redshirt rookie year, there might finally be something to cheer for on KC this season.

Player Profile: Weston Dressler

by Rachel Santschi

From the University of North Dakota (UND), to the CFL, to the NFL, the 5-foot-7, 179lb WR made quite an impression through OTAs. Weston Dressler has many media members talking about his incredible transition to the NFL, after spending six seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL.

A native of North Dakota, Dressler played in 39 games at UND, recording 167 receptions for 2,110 yards (12.6 avg.) with 25 touchdowns.

In 2008, Dressler signed as a free agent with the Roughriders. He is a two-time CFL all-star and was the league's top rookie in 2008. Now, he is working on making the transition back to American football.

“Playing college football, I know all the differences between the American football game and the Canadian football game,â€￾ Dressler said. “It’s going to take me a little time to readjust to it, but I’ve put in a lot of work in the playbook, trying to become familiar with all the terminology and everything. Things are coming together, I feel more comfortable with the play calls in the huddle, what I need to do within the play and learning the timing within my routes. There’s definitely still a lot of work to be done, but I think I’m picking it up and continuing to learn.â€￾

While with the CFL, Dressler registered 442 receptions for 6,531 yards (14.8 avg.) with 43 touchdowns. He added 48 carries for 286 yards (6.0 avg.) with two rushing touchdowns. Plus, Dressler tallied 92 punt returns for 907 yards (9.9 avg.) with one touchdown and 31 kickoff returns for 634 yards (20.5 avg.).

“I feel good about him.â€￾ Dave Toub, Chiefs Special Teams Coordinator, said. “He catches the ball well. He probably is our best catcher. That’s good for him.â€￾

Dressler is also receiving high praise from head coach Andy Reid.

“I like his quickness and I like him in the slot,â€￾ Coach Reid noted. “He’s got great quickness there. That’s what he played in Canada, he played in that area. You can see he’s got a real feel in there and good quickness that goes with it.â€￾

When he arrived in Kansas City, Dressler requested to wear number 13, as a way to honor the Canadian fans for all of their support through the past six seasons. Not many Chiefs players have worn #13, only four others, including QB Wayne Clark (75), QB Mark Vlasic (91-92), P Daniel Pope (92) and QB Steve Bono (94-96).

“The fans made our game days a ton of fun and it was always a tremendous atmosphere,â€￾ Dressler commented. “They were a blast and very supportive. In the CFL, they play with 12 people on the field so, the fans are referred to as the 13th man; they get a little rowdy at times. When the Chiefs asked me what number I wanted I immediately thought of 13 because of them, it shows the respect I have for them and it represents my journey to the NFL.â€￾

As rowdy as the fans get in Canada, Chiefs fans offer some tough competition. Dressler said he’s heard about Arrowhead Stadium and can’t wait to experience it firsthand.

“I’ve had a chance to interact with a few of the fans already and it’s been incredible,â€￾ Dressler said. “I’m really looking forward to seeing what a game day is like at Arrowhead. I’ve heard a lot about it. I’ve heard it’s crazy, that they have the best fans in the NFL and that it gets loud. I’m excited to see that atmosphere and be a part of it.â€￾

Dressler is looking forward to the start of season and the start of training camp, where he will be focused on growing and learning more everyday.

“I’m focused on learning as much as I can, continuing to learn the playbook and improve,â€￾ Dressler said. “I’m taking it one day at a time and trying to do as much as I can to make an impact on this team.â€￾

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/articl...ressler-/0dc45852-c58d-4fb5-bd2a-5e7c867fe7bf