Who started the Caste System?

cslewis1

Guru
I remember very clearly the NFL teams of the mid 80's with 65% white defenses, never mind on the offense. Gastineua, Joe Klecko there was another DL whose name I can't remember. The Dolphins AJ Duhe the Blackwood brothers, the Raiders of course, the Patriots with Steve Nelson and Craig James as their featured back.

What the hell happened? It occured to me two things.

Buddy Ryan and the 86 Bears. I think they only had two white starters on defense, maybe three. But "speed" was the emphasis of that 46 defense and of course no whites have speed.

And then Howard Schellenberger(?) of Miami when they came to dominance with their plethora of speedy Florida, i.e. black, players. Then of course, EVERYONE had to recruit there. Similar to Dominican players in baseball.

Interested in anyone's thoughts about when the Caste System started and by whom.

Triad

Mentor
cslewis1 said:
[

Interested in anyone's thoughts about when the Caste System started and by whom.

It started in the late 60's and early 70's and hasn't really peaked yet. The social engineers needed an outlet to redistribute wealth and fame to the repressed minorities and create a generation of role models for their youth to lift them up to the level of the rest of America. After over 40 years this experiment has failed miserably; you only need to go to any inner city and see how lifted up they've become.

They only had to convince a handful of coaches (guys with P.E. degrees) that the black was bigger, faster, stronger and the rest is caste history. The coaching clique, a few hundred guys who are recycled through the teams, with the MSM's blessing can really control what our sports look like.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The coaches that emphasized 40 times over football playing ability. It's like a 40 time is the be all and end all in football ability, unless of course a white "overachiever" rips a good time off then he is a workout warrior or times fast but plays slow. Of course when it comes to Massah Bowden I think he drank some spiked Kool-aid with Jim Jones and survived.........
smiley36.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
In the NFL, I believe the Chiefs' Hank Stram was the first coach to field a majority of blacks, especially on defense. In an era when black linebackers were still rare, he boasted two starters (Bobby Bell and Willie Lanier). He also featured all black WRs and RBs, although later he did draft and use Ed Podolak for a few seasons. Starting then (late '60s), NFL teams gradually started signing more black outside LBs, DEs and Safeties. A lot of whites hung on at middle LB, safety and DT until the early '90s or so, when they too were pretty much weeded out. Even someone as enthralled with black players as Buddy Ryan, for instance, employed a white middle LB (Mike Reichenbach) during his first few years in Philadephia. As far as offensive players go, most teams fielded mostly white offensive lines until the past decade or so. The advent of huge blacks on the offensive line (who are usually incredibly fat but still proclaimed to be "athletes") has made the NFL all that much blacker. Really, the racial breakdown from 15-20 years or so ago only seems better (more whites) from our standpoint because of the far more numerous white offensive linemen (and QBs) then. Most defenses were starting only a few white players by the late '80s, but even as far back as the mid-1970s, you had the Pittsburgh "Steel Curtain" defenses featuring only four or so white starters (Ham, Lambert, Furness and Wagner).

While we can see what a disastrous impact true Caste System disciples like Ryan and Jimmy Johnson had on the racial makeup of NFL teams, even the old school coaches had changed by the time they retired. For instance, Don Shula eventually dropped his efforts to play white players and was pretty much starting a Caste System-style squad by the time he left the game. Tom Landry did pretty much the same thing. Joe Gibbs once gave John Riggins a chance to be the last dominant white RB in the NFL, but he now prefers "affletes" like Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor. Mike Martz is often mentioned on this site as someone who gave white players a chance to play, but really we are giving him too much credit. All he really did is have white WRs lined up behind his two black starters, and sprinkle in a few white players on defense. That's more than any other coach has done for quite a while, of course, but we're easily pleased if we're satisfied with that. Anyhow- those are my thoughts. I don't think any one person started the Caste System, but it was definitely planned, imho, with very powerful forces behind it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Marv Levy ended his career with a relatively white team. The Bills were probably the whitest team in the late 80's and early 90's NFL. I think the point about Hank Stram is a good one. The Chiefs were a much different looking team than the rest of that time. The AFL began the trend of having more blacks, and it was followed by the NFL after the 1970 merger. Take a look at an NFL team's composition in 1968 and then compare it with 1972, and I bet you will see quite a difference in a lot of teams. The 1975 Steelers had 23 blacks and 24 whites according to this pic.

45_1.JPG

The 1979 Steelers had 20 whites and 23 blacks in this pic.

0c_1.JPG
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
1962 Colts vs. 1970 Colts vs. 1983 Colts

62t_psa11515993.jpg

1970Colts.jpg

4d_1.JPG
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Triad

Mentor
Today's newspaper had an article describing the reasons why Tennessee State and Vanderbilt have never played in football before (the first ever game is this weekend). TSU is an HBCU about 2 miles from the Vandy campus. Hidden in the article were the usual code words and some stats about the NFL's selection of players that is caste relevant.

Tennessean said:
Ed Jones, the No. 1 overall pick by the Dallas Cowboys in the 1974 NFL draft, arrived at TSU in 1970.

"At that time, schools like Tennessee State and Grambling were recruiting the same kind of talent the major schools were recruiting," Jones said. "I was competing against the best competition around."

In the '70s, TSU had 47 players drafted into the NFL. In that decade, the Southeastern Conference schools with the most draftees were Tennessee and Florida, with 43 and 42, respectively. Vanderbilt had 14 players drafted.

Outside of a game against San Diego State in 1968 (a 13-13 tie) and intermittent bowl games, TSU's opponents were other historically black colleges. A breakthrough came in 1973, when the Big Blue played Middle Tennessee State, with TSU winning 23-0. The Tigers also played UT-Chattanooga that season, winning 44-7

Article

A few notes: I had no idea the best football in America during "Too Tall's" career was in the HBCU ranks until I read this article.

Also, during the 1970's the NFL chose more players from small TSU than it did from the SEC powerhouses. Was the reason better talent or the beginning of a caste agenda?
Who determined the superior quality of the HBCU players since they only played one another?

During TSU's glory days they tied San Diego State and routed in state cream puffs UT-Chatanooga and MTSU and it became obvious to the NFL that their players were superior to Florida, Tennessee,and the other SEC schools. Welcome to the Caste System.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Exactly, you know the same argument coaches and recruiters make about private school players not being good enough because of their level of competition could be made about the black schools back then. All they played were each other and most of those teams really were pathetic.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the 67-68 Packers vs. the 72-73 squad. Things didn't change much for the Packers because they were one of the most conservative teams when it came to racial makeup of the team.

MM-HELYF0267Pmed.jpg

1972.jpg

hedgehog

Mentor
I have always wondered how much damage and reinforcement of the caste system were caused by Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich. It seems after these two failed in the NFL, the caste system seemed to have escalated a couple of notches.

cslewis1

Guru
great work once again Col. I guess I am saddened to see the proof that the caste system predates me. I would have liked it better to be a newer phenoneman(?), that way easier to fight because no so thoroughly ingrained. Obviously, it has gone back 30-35 years. Hank Stram and the AFL indeed.
However, that does bring up possibilities. If the AFL could take on the powers that be and succeed with a different style of play, why can't that happen again?
I know the money is much much larger and the players now are basically heroes to our society, but who knows what the future holds.

KJV1, I have always wondered about the Mandarich "experiment". How 'bout Steve Emtman? but I am more wondering, daydreaming I suppose, how things would be different if the Colts would have beaten the Jets in 67.
I imagine our society as a whole might be different.

speedster

Mentor
The DT your thinking about cslewis 1 is Marty Lyons part of the New York Sack Exchange.As far as Buddy Ryan goes the man is and idiot but early on in his tenure as the Bears Defensive Co-ordinator he did have a decent amount of white guys.The playoff bound '79 Bears had eight white starters on 'D which included three white DB's and they were safety's Doug Plank,who the 46 defence was named after,Gary Fencik and CB Terry Schmidt.By the way that same year Dallas fielded 7 white starters on defence.Ah,what a year

Triad

Mentor
Bosworth, Emtman, and Mandarich have no bearing on the caste system. Their success, or lack thereof is irrelevant. If they would have become All-Pros like Urlacher or Boselli the caste system would still be going strong.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Your right Triad, the players are just pawns in the game. I don't think any player or group of them changed anything or even had the ability to, as far as the NFL goes. It was a combination of forces who were in control of the teams, the leagues, and the media.

white is right

Hall of Famer
One definate thing that changed the racial composition of the NFL was the changing of the pass interference rules in 1978. Pre 1978 the white cornerback was still around post 1978 the white cornerback quickly disappeared and the white running fullback slowly vanished too. Many of the white cornerbacks like Pat Fishcher played a physical rugged style that was no longer legal in the new NFL. I suspect the running fullback died because once the NFL opened up their passing game the need for two backs became passe.

cslewis1

Guru
white is right said:
One definate thing that changed the racial composition of the NFL was the changing of the pass interference rules in 1978.

That's an interesting take. In economics stuff like tht is called the rule of unintended consequences. You pass a "luxury tax" on people when they buy a yacht, and amazingly enough you then put yachtmakers out of business because people won't buy as many yachts.

Of course in the NFL, this might be the rule of INTENDED consequence, to expand the caste system!

When I was young, I watched one of the two first Super Bowls with my Wisconson relatives. At that time the Packers had about five blacks on the team. We trusted Lombardi's judgement that these were the best players available and they were not tokens. At the time, we thought this would be about as many blacks that a team would have. The reasons were:
They were a minority. They were not that many to begin with, and only a few had the skills to play at the professional level. Besides, new civil rights laws had been passed and there was affirative action. Why sweat on the playing field when you could become a doctor, or lawyer or businessman?
What happened? You know that something is wrong when the top college WR was not drafted because of his race.

foreverfree

Mentor
cslewis1 said:
I am more wondering, daydreaming I suppose, how things would be different if the Colts would have beaten the Jets in 67.
I imagine our society as a whole might be different.

I assume you mean Super Bowl III. Mention that it happened in '67 rather than on January 12, 1969 on the Baltimore Sun's MB and Colt fans would let you have it big time.
smiley2.gif

Anyway, I guess those Jets were the first champions with an all black ground attack in Boozer and Snell.
smiley5.gif

John

cslewis1

Guru
Right on John! 1969 it was.
smiley2.gif

Football for me started in SB XI when the Raiders beat the vikings 32-14. I was 6 years old and remember watching it in my room by myself on an old black and white tiny-ass Quasar TV that had no sound. My parents had "people over" downstairs and cared less.
But I couldn't wait to call my Granddad in No CA after the Raiders won. He had season tickets. Few weeks later, a black and silver poster of Stabler and Casper and, AND an Oakland Raiders trash can came. That was pure heaven for me. I still have the trash can.

Broke my heart when Stabler and Casper were traded to Houston. Tried rooting for them there, but couldn't break my loyalty and then Plunkett and Kenny King took them to win the SB against the Eagles. Life was good.

Don't mean to ramble and get sappy here, but I guess that is what is so frustrating about the Caste System. I imagine we ALL have memories we wouldn't trade for a million bucks about sporting events in our lives and how we connected with our dads or gramps or even wives.

Sports to me is so much more than just the W or L, it's about loyalty, sticking with a team while they're down and then rejoicing mightily when they win. And it simply isn't like that anymore, with free agency, the caste system obviously, etc.

Yet I still come back, year after year, hoping and praying it'll be better this time around because I remember great it was as a kid when the Raiders won those two Super Bowls. Wasn't a lot to be happy for back then in my life, but the Raiders, man, they put a smile on my face.

LabMan

Mentor
When the world government blueprint was first formed,it was determined,in my opinion,that American society should be made up of a "tan everyman" look.Once those pesty Whites are replaced,it will be much easier to implement our plan.

The worship of sports in this country was the perfect way to get folks used to,and more receptive to accepting non whites into their every day experiences.If we replace American "White" sports heros,most "rabid sheeple" fans will will embrace those replacements.

JD074

Master
LabMan said:
The worship of sports in this country was the perfect way to get folks used to,and more receptive to accepting non whites into their every day experiences.

Great point. Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, that is exactly what happened. This is true for the entertainment industry as a whole.