White Musicians that sound Black. Really?

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I could have put this on the "Commercials We Hate Thread," but I like the commercial. The theme song is outstanding!

[video=youtube_share;sCcbkNkQmGc]http://youtu.be/sCcbkNkQmGc[/video]

Talk about racism! This could also be a take off on the, "Do black athletes hate white fans" thread, or I could have titled this thread, "Do black fans hate white musicians?"

The singer in the new Mitsubishi commercial is the legendary, Bobby Caldwell, who is, "White" singing "What you want do for Love." When Caldwell came out with this song way back in 1979, his label purposely disguised his image in an effort to get radio play on R&B stations, I guess fearing that if the black stations discovered he was white, they wouldn't play his record. No one knew he was white until he appeared in his first major concert after the song had already became a hit.

Can you imagine hiding a black singers' image for fear of "white/rock/country" radio stations not playing his music? Is this done to black musicians?

I guess Bobby Caldwell had the voice, but not the look! Would R&B stations have played Caldwell's record if they knew he was white?

It's interesting to me that once the ethnicity of certain white singers such as Caldwell is discovered, they're described as sounding "Black," as if his sound is unique to the typical white singer.

Other "White" singers and bands that have been labeled as sounding "Black" or mistaken for black singers/bands....

Michael Bolton, Phil Collins, Gino Vanelli, Michael McDonald(Doobie Brothers Lead Singer), The Righteous Brothers, Van Morrison, Queen, Hall & Oates, Joe Jackson, Chicago, etc.

Most of these musicians came out back in my day, 70's & 80's and some of you may not be familiar with them and I don't listen to much contemporary music. Does this still happen today? Modern white singers having a "Black" sound!

You younger guys should try listening to some of these great artists.

Last edited:

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Interesting thread CS. While I've always been most fond of Southern Gospel, C&W, Bluegrass. Southern Rock, Hard Rock & Metal, I do appreciate some of the "Blue Eye'd Soul". I recall hearing Hall & Oates alot on the radio in the late 70s/early 80s. I like some of their songs (Private Eyes, I Can't Go for That, etc.). Although he's a libtard, I've also always liked Michael McDonald's song "I Keep Forgettin" (I have to admit). I think I've a decent ear for good music, but these days usually stick to Southern Gospel. :)

This thread reminded me of when "Streets of Fire" came out in the 1980s. The biggest hit song from the movie was "I Can Dream About You", which was "performed" in the movie by a black R&B group. The video aired constantly on MTV, and was mostly clips from the movie. The real artist was white, and a lot of people were shocked by that.

I can't let this thread go by without recommending Greg Allman's live version of "Will the Circle be Unbroken". I don't know if I'm willing to give that sound to blacks, but it seems to fit the discussion here. Google it and enjoy. Of course, when it comes to blue-eyed soul, The King is the king.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
This thread reminded me of something I was thinking just a while ago driving home, the song "White Christmas" came on, with Bing Crosby singing. It is a truly beautiful and special song. I wondered just how much the world has changed since that song topped the charts? Here was a white guy, Crosby, with a very deep baritone voice. Has there been another baritone voiced White singer that was popular in the era since Bing? I can't think of any. Not in popular music.

Crosby was also popular amongst the ladies, an excellent singer, actor, and for many a role model. In fact it was black singers like Nat King Cole that wanted to sound like him. However in the modern hell we live in now it is White singers that are supposed to aspire to sound like black men. I find that pathetic.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
The media doesn't acknowledge it, of course, but the sign of success for ANY Black person is to sell out and be Uncle Tom or Aunt Thomassina. White people are the gold standard of civilization, and many stupid people (a lot of them White) don't realize it or are too dumb to recognize it even if you explain it to them.

As in, Uncle Toms live in a nice, nuclear family, often in suburbia, and do White sh*t like go on picnics, classical music concerts, antiquing, farmer's markets, and other stereotypical White yuppy bullsh*t.

The trouble is, with most Blacks, they don't really ever want to integrate into White society, they always want to be special and "other" and keep whatever street cred they fantasize that they have. So they end up acting n*ggerish around Black people who HAVEN'T "made it" to act as if they are still from the ghetto because they think it makes them seem worldly and like they have the right to be part of whatever conversation they think is going on. Also, by maintaining the "I'm Black, I'm special!" attitude, they keep the door open for the various times throughout their lives that they will pull and play the race card.

The funniest thing is watching Black people who are new money trash start spending like they think it makes them classy, instead of what it really looks like: idiots with money they will soon lose, and who will be back to the ghetto smoking crack in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Tina Marie was a white singer who had the same story. Most of her fans were black as they didn't put her picture on the original album in the late 70s. By the time they "outed" her she was already popular and she was a HUGE white uncle Tom (or Aunt Thomasina maybe). She had a high yeller kid with crack addict Rick James (no loss as she was short, stout and ugly). She died a few years ago at a relatively young age.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Interesting thread CS. While I've always been most fond of Southern Gospel, C&W, Bluegrass. Southern Rock, Hard Rock & Metal, I do appreciate some of the "Blue Eye'd Soul". I recall hearing Hall & Oates alot on the radio in the late 70s/early 80s. I like some of their songs (Private Eyes, I Can't Go for That, etc.). Although he's a libtard, I've also always liked Michael McDonald's song "I Keep Forgettin" (I have to admit). I think I've a decent ear for good music, but these days usually stick to Southern Gospel. :)

Same here DixieDestroyer with the exception of Bluegrass, I haven't been able to come around to that genre yet.

I have to admit, I had completely forgotten about Bobby Caldwell until I saw the Mitsubishi commercial. However, as I've gotten older, I have grown to appreciate singers such as, Caldwell, Phil Collins, Righteous Brothers (Bill Medley), Van Morrison and Bands such as Chicago, America, Atlanta Rhythm Section, etc.

I hate admit it but Queen had some good music, even though Freddie Mercury was homosexual and died of Aids.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
This thread reminded me of when "Streets of Fire" came out in the 1980s. The biggest hit song from the movie was "I Can Dream About You", which was "performed" in the movie by a black R&B group. The video aired constantly on MTV, and was mostly clips from the movie. The real artist was white, and a lot of people were shocked by that.

I can't let this thread go by without recommending Greg Allman's live version of "Will the Circle be Unbroken". I don't know if I'm willing to give that sound to blacks, but it seems to fit the discussion here. Google it and enjoy. Of course, when it comes to blue-eyed soul, The King is the king.

The artist was Dan Hartman Awake in America, I remember that now as well and yes Greg Allman and the Allman Brothers, great musicians!

Who are you referring to as the King, Elvis? My opinion of Elvis was that he had his own distinctive voice that crossed over many genre's, which no one will, or ever can copy, no matter how hard they try.

Elvis, a musician that would be an interesting topic of discussion here. Has Elvis ever been discussed on CF? Anyone?

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here are some white singers with soul music to name just a few. Bobby Caldwell, Todd Rundgren, Gino Vannelli, Marc Jordan, Colin Blunstone, Felix Cavaliere, Eddie Brigati, Peter Cox, John Martyn, Phil Collins, Joe Jackson, Michael McDonald, Van Morrison, Winwood, and the Righteous Brothers. This
is far from my favorite type of music but alot of these performers were as good as it gets. Only in the USA would people just always assume that only blacks can sing that type of music. The best singers on earth on opera singers and they are mostly white anyway.Opera take more talent than any other type of singing. It's really not even close.

One singer I love even though she is average by opera standards is Kathryn Jenkins. I would marry this woman! Listen to her voice and you will see why. Then open your eyes and take in the beauty! WOW!!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
CS, Elvis had 1 of the best voices of all time. I've always enjoyed much of his music, and my favorites are his gospel songs, "Kentucky Rain" & "American Trilogy". We went to Graceland a few years after he passed (1979). The majority of these modern 'stars' are a million miles shy of Elvis (singing) talent.

The artist was Dan Hartman Awake in America, I remember that now as well and yes Greg Allman and the Allman Brothers, great musicians!

Who are you referring to as the King, Elvis? My opinion of Elvis was that he had his own distinctive voice that crossed over many genre's, which no one will, or ever can copy, no matter how hard they try.

Elvis, a musician that would be an interesting topic of discussion here. Has Elvis ever been discussed on CF? Anyone?

Yes, I meant Elvis. His voice was simply amazing; possibly the finest untrained voice of his time or any other. Another "blue-eyed soul" singer of immense talent is Daryl Hall. He still sounds amazing in his mid 60s. I think there are still plenty of great voices out there, particularly in country music, but the writing just isn't what it used to be. It all seems so pre-packaged now. The authenticity is gone.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
CS, Elvis had 1 of the best voices of all time. I've always enjoyed much of his music, and my favorites are his gospel songs, "Kentucky Rain" & "American Trilogy". We went to Graceland a few years after he passed (1979). The majority of these modern 'stars' are a million miles shy of Elvis (singing) talent.

Kentucky Rain is a great song. Mystery Train is another great Elvis song.

Incidentally, rock and roll was started by Hank Williams with his song Move it On Over. Later rock musicians used that song as a template.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Another White singer who had/has a "soulful" voice is "Christian/Jesus Rock" pioneer Mylon LeFevre. He grew up as part of the legendary Singing LeFevres southern gospel family. He wrote the Elvis gospel song "Without Him" (at age 16). Mylon turned to secular rock (& drugs) in the 70s & made an album with George Harrison & Alvin Lee ("On the Road to Freedom"). He got right with the Lord in 1980 & started the Christian rock band "Broken Heart" (I knew most of the original lineup). He played thru the 90s before having a heart attack. He's now an evangelist, but can still sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvI8rCKZSug&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf4OxYKAsPc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6_2IYySCc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

foreverfree

Mentor
The singer in the new Mitsubishi commercial is the legendary, Bobby Caldwell, who is, "White" singing "What you want do for Love."

I remember "What You Won't Do For Love" but not its artist.

Michael Bolton, Phil Collins, Gino Vanelli, Michael McDonald(Doobie Brothers Lead Singer), The Righteous Brothers, Van Morrison, Queen, Hall & Oates, Joe Jackson, Chicago, etc.

I'm familiar with all of those, and it never occurred to me that any of the above were black, for some reason (other than that I knew that the Doobies had one black member). McDonald indeed had that soulful voice - I mean, he dueted "On My Own" with Patti Labelle. And don't forget the soul voice of Tom Johnston, a founding Doobie (McDonald joined in the mid-'70s and basically took over Johnston's vocal slot).

OTOH (I reach back to the '60s here) I thought Lenny Welch ("Since I Fell For You") and Jewel Akens ("The Birds and the Bees") were white. They were black. (I should've known about Akens, what with "Birds"' reference to "big brown eyes"...)

I had the same thought about the lead singer on Crazy Elephant's* "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'". Turned out he'd been in the Cadillacs ("Speedoo") in the '50s.

BTW congrats to Daryl and John on their R&RHOF election.

*And what a pachyderm he was! :icon_lol:

John

PamelaOC

Banned
Whitney Houston was accused by her fellow blacks of "acting white", "selling out", and being too popular with white people. So she decided to show how "down" she was by turning to crack and finding the most stereotypically thuggish black boyfriend possible.

forty-four

Guru
Another White singer who had/has a "soulful" voice is "Christian/Jesus Rock" pioneer Mylon LeFevre. He grew up as part of the legendary Singing LeFevres southern gospel family. He wrote the Elvis gospel song "Without Him" (at age 16). Mylon turned to secular rock (& drugs) in the 70s & made an album with George Harrison & Alvin Lee ("On the Road to Freedom"). He got right with the Lord in 1980 & started the Christian rock band "Broken Heart" (I knew most of the original lineup). He played thru the 90s before having a heart attack. He's now an evangelist, but can still sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvI8rCKZSug&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf4OxYKAsPc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6_2IYySCc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You knew those guys in Broken Heart - Wow! One of my favorite Christian bands many years ago. "Love God, Hate Sin!"

Last edited:

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
You knew those guys in Broken Heart - Wow! One of my favorite Christian bands many years ago. "Love God, Hate Sin!"

Yessir. I knew Stan Coates (keyboard player) & Kenny Bentley (bass) pretty well. I used to attend their concerts in Atlanta alot. I also caught them in concert in Wildwood, FL once (we were nearby visitIng family down there). I didn't truly appreciate how good their music was back then, but I do now! ;-)