What if Tim Tebow was black? How would his career have turned out?

Let’s say everything about Tim Tebow remained the same except for his melanin content. He’s got the same ability to process information, same work ethic, passion , athleticism, etc it’s just that his skin is dark enough to qualify as being black in America. How do you think his career would have played out?

I may be in the minority here, but probably not that differently. I watched Tebow's time with Denver closely, and while he pulled off an improbable run to a playoff win, it was largely on the back of the defense and a handful of clutch offensive plays. He was an inefficient passer with terrible mechanics.

His lack of second chances was less about his skin color and more about the perceived baggage surrounding him (his faith and the media circus that followed), plus the fact that the offense has to be tailored to his strengths. Most teams want a plug and play backup who can run the same system as the starter, and decided a project backup wasn't worth the trouble.

He probably would've fared better in today's NFL where he could backup a guy like Jalen Hurts, to be honest. Or as a Taysom Hill type player.

Kaptain

Master
No way. He'd would have been a first overall pick and given several years in the league as a starter. The criticism of his throwing motion would never had existed. After his run in Denver he would have been the face of the league lauded by the media. The offense he would have ran would not have been the pop warner sabatoge crap he was forced to run in Denver but would have been styled after the offense he ran in Florida. If he actually didn't do well after a few years of starting he would have been given a new team to start on and try again and again before relegated to backup. Do I need to give examples? Some truly awful throwing mobile black quarterbacks were still on rosters for about a decade. Again, I can give examples and name names but I don't think I have to.

jphoss

Mentor
A black qb who won a heisman and 2 titles in college would’ve been an easy top 3 draft pick. I think in todays atmosphere he would clearly be #1 overall. But say he still goes to the Broncos they may have been afraid to go and get Peyton bc of the racist accusations that would’ve been hurled their way (remember ty willingham saga when he got fired and he sucked as a coach). He would’ve been given far more leeway and the tiny hats in the media wouldn’t have attacked his christian faith nearly as much. All in all like every other job in this country the black guy gets far more leeway and more opportunities than his white counterpart. No reason to think differently with Tebow

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What happened to Tim Tebow was the same thing that happend to Jimmer Fredette. Both WHITE CHRISTIANS and that
is two strikes in todays society. Both had immense talent yet were screwed over very unfaily because of their skin color and
also because of their beliefs. Both talked about God and Jesus and that is just taboo in this sick twisted America we live in.
I will always be fans of both of them and know they both could have been stars if given a fair chance!

No way. He'd would have been a first overall pick and given several years in the league as a starter. The criticism of his throwing motion would never had existed. After his run in Denver he would have been the face of the league lauded by the media. The offense he would have ran would not have been the pop warner sabatoge crap he was forced to run in Denver but would have been styled after the offense he ran in Florida. If he actually didn't do well after a few years of starting he would have been given a new team to start on and try again and again before relegated to backup. Do I need to give examples? Some truly awful throwing mobile black quarterbacks were still on rosters for about a decade. Again, I can give examples and name names but I don't think I have to.

That’s what really sticks in my craw. These DWF morons would look at the box score and then mindlessly repeat what they heard from the media about how Tebow “sucks” and doesn’t even belong in the league as a 3rd stringer. The offense he was put in was designed for him to fail with all of those constant third and longs he was forced into. Even his own coach looked like he didn’t want him to succeed, during press conferences he would call him a “fine young man” while refusing to compliment his quarterback play. Yet with all that Tebow still went 7-4 and won a playoff game against the favored Steelers.

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
The Tim Tebow era was the last few years I watched football. He led the broncos to a playoff win if I remember correctly yet was still replaced the following year. He absolutely would have been given more chances if he was black.

A black QB with the kind of ability shown in this video would never be blackballed from the league like Tebow was. There's some really special stuff in here. Plays that many QBs dream of making. People focused so much on his throwing motion that they irrationally disregarded the positives of his game. Tebow wasn't just a power runner who embarrassed defenders with bull-like shoulder charges and stiff arms from hell; he was an incredible scrambler who could throw on the run with great accuracy and power. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of his game were those devastating play action fakes he used to set up equally destructive downfield passes. It's a real treat to watch that video and see all the defenders get sucked into the box when he fakes the handoff only for him to unleash a powerful deep ball with great velocity. You never hear that get talked about, though. It's all about his throwing motion and how he couldn't play the position properly or some other nonsensical claim that doesn't hold any water when you think about it for more than ten seconds. Tebow's ability to put back-breaking stress on opposing defenses should've warranted him a starting job in the NFL as a franchise QB. His talent ought to be celebrated and remembered, but it's been almost systematically scrubbed from the collective memory of the football world.
The Tim Tebow era was the last few years I watched football. He led the broncos to a playoff win if I remember correctly yet was still replaced the following year. He absolutely would have been given more chances if he was black.
You are correct. In the playoffs he threw 2 TDs and ran for another against the Steelers, who had the best defense in the league that year. They were ranked 1st in points per game allowed and Tebow put up 29 points against them.

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
Agree 100%.

His completion percentage is so low because he thrived on the deep pass. He completion percentage on deep throws was something like the highest % in forty years.

Look at how offenses have been tailored to a guy like Hurts or Jackson? Coaches willing to run a system similar to the one they played in college and which supports their style and strengths.

Taysom Hill has become a gadget player only because he is white. The league cannot allow him to operate full time and put up similar numbers like a Jackson.

Warhawk_46

Master
Also… the only time in history someone led a team to a playoff victory and never started another game after.

A black QB with the kind of ability shown in this video would never be blackballed from the league like Tebow was. There's some really special stuff in here. Plays that many QBs dream of making. People focused so much on his throwing motion that they irrationally disregarded the positives of his game. Tebow wasn't just a power runner who embarrassed defenders with bull-like shoulder charges and stiff arms from hell; he was an incredible scrambler who could throw on the run with great accuracy and power. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of his game were those devastating play action fakes he used to set up equally destructive downfield passes. It's a real treat to watch that video and see all the defenders get sucked into the box when he fakes the handoff only for him to unleash a powerful deep ball with great velocity. You never hear that get talked about, though. It's all about his throwing motion and how he couldn't play the position properly or some other nonsensical claim that doesn't hold any water when you think about it for more than ten seconds. Tebow's ability to put back-breaking stress on opposing defenses should've warranted him a starting job in the NFL as a franchise QB. His talent ought to be celebrated and remembered, but it's been almost systematically scrubbed from the collective memory of the football world.

You are correct. In the playoffs he threw 2 TDs and ran for another against the Steelers, who had the best defense in the league that year. They were ranked 1st in points per game allowed and Tebow put up 29 points against them.
Seeing that video makes me angry. Tebow should have been a superstar

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Seeing that video makes me angry. Tebow should have been a superstar
I remember all of the "experts" constantly criticizing Tebow's throwing motion. In truth, Tebow's motion was what it needed to be for any particular play. It wasn't always the slow looping motion for chucking the long balls that he often used. They acted like it was not able to be overcome. Fast-forward to Lamar Jackson, whose throwing motion and throwing ability his first year or two were beyond bad. He was able to clean that up and look at him now. That's how I see Tebow. He could have been Lamar, only better. But being the wrong skin color he wasn't going to get an offense based on his strengths like Jackson.