What ever happened to good music?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
What ever happened to the good music of the 70's and 80's? Foreigner, Fleetwood Mack, The Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, and countless others. Everything now is overrun with this black garbage music. 50 cent, Ludacris, Timbaland, and Beyonces horrible yodeling. No substance in this music whatsoever. Seems likes whites are being pushed out of music slowly. Granted there are some groups I like today like Nickelback but we are dropping in music too. Ill keep listening to my oldies anyways.

GWTJ

Mentor
My dad said the same thing in the 70's only his favorite music was from the 40's and 50's. Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and Hank Williams were his favorites.

Some things just keep repeating themselves.
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I like the rock music of the '80s. A lot of it holds up pretty well. There's few songs from the '60s and '70s that do much for me.

VH1C played almost nothing but '80s music videos when it started off, but like VH1 and MTV it devolved into showing fewer and fewer videos. Give me those cheesy early videos from the '80s! Thankfully most of them can be found on YouTube.

whiteCB

Master
Gotta love the old ZZ Top videos they are classics! If you want some good contemporary music try listening to a band called The Mars Volta. They really rock out!!! Their first album De-Loused in the Contorium is really good.

darthvader

Guru
Let's not forget about the Bee gees. Say what you will about these guys butthey were some of the best songwriters ever. I never looked at their music as disco but just great music.I defy anybody here who says that whenever theylisten to "How deep is your love" or "Too much heaven" they don't want to take their wives or girlfriends and just dance under a crystal ball.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Alternative rock is as good as ever(at least for me)and I am nowhere in the age range for that music. Sheesh I used to chill to early 80's rap....
smiley36.gif
smiley5.gif

I'm not sure what your criteria for "good" is. Modern white rock and pop
music is terrific. Maybe you listen to the radio ... Fleetwood Mac? ... and
that's definitely not going to play anything current worthwhile.

There are a ton of good bands going right now. How 'bout Drive By
Truckers. Or The Decemberists. Or The National. Or Modest Mouse. Or
Radiohead. Whtie Stripes. Sufjan Stevens. My Morning Jacket. Arcade Fire.
PJ Harvey. Fugazi. Etc. etc.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
What really troubles me today is confused young white kids buying all these Wu Tang and 50 cent cds. They buy these cds even though most of these rappers are racists. Hell Tupac said in one of his songs"Kick the S--t to make the white man bleed" and they still buy it. Does anyone see what is going on here. Im only 26 and I dont listen to this crap. I like Foreigner, Elton John, and all types of older music. I do not buy into this whole rap crap image. I hope soon these white kids wake up and rap will stop selling. That is my one wish for the future. We are making a bunch of violent racists rich.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Most will out grow this music, I know I did, and when I listened to rap it was much more positive than this crap. I also still listened to 80's rock at the time and rap wasn't really my favorite music at the time either. Supposedly rap is on the downswing, the demise of hip-hop/rap and its shunting to the classical music area of the big chain music stores, would be music to my ears.....
smiley2.gif

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Youtube has pretty much rendered MTV and VH1 useless, at least for me anyway. I don't listen to much music released after 1992. My favorite period of music was 1980-1992. Most of what I listen to is post-punk stuff out of England like the Smiths, the Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Stone Roses, you know, most of the stuff MTV would only play like really late at night back in the day. I like to catch 120 Minutes on VH1 Classic on Sunday nights. I remember the original 120 Minutes on MTV (in the same time slot, no less) and it featured just about all the bands I mentioned