W.F. Buckley

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Peter Brimlow wrote a pretty scathing article about him too on vdare.com

Buckley RIP sort of

Buckley was the kind of conservative sell-out whore that's put us in the mess we're in. I'd be glad he died but I've considered him dead for 30 years.

He treated Pat Buchanan badly too. Buchanan, Sobran, and Brimlow, the closest thing we have to pro-white writers in the MSM. All screwed by Buckley, nuff said.

Bronk

Mentor
Growing up, Buckley was a hero of mine. I loved his clever, aggressive, slashing debating style. He had a great talent for connecting fazr removed dots of issues and events and constructing them into devastaing arguments that made the towering icons of the left look utterly foolish. I emulated that biting style in school and sufferred for it. I read his columns and books, watched his (PBS!) TV show, Firing Line and even subscribed to National Review

But there were cracks in the arguments that bothered me greatly and, gradually through the 1980s, I moved further to the right -- in the opposite direction that Buckley himself had taken.

WFB's father, Buckley Sr. (a native Texan) was an old-style right-winger and a friend of the great Albert J. Nock. Through the 1950s WFB gradually moved away from his father's politics and embraced the Cold War era welfare/warfare state. National Review was the prime vehicle for the Trotskyite leftists who formed the vanguard of what we now call neo-conservatives to move like a Trojan Horse into the GOP and the "conservative movement."

By the 1990s I had left Buckley and NR far behind.

I learned a lot from William F. Buckley, so his death leaves me nostalgic about those days when I cut my political teeth on his words. When my oldest son signed up to take debate as a HS freshman three yaers ago, I took my old WFB books out of a box in the attic so he could read them and learn tactics from the master.

R.I.P. WFB.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I never thought of WFB Jr. as a real conservative, but I too admired his debating skills. I used to watch Firing Line sometimes when I was a kid, and I wish there was more decorum such as that in political debates these days.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I too greatly admired his debating skills and cutting sophisticated humor. I agree with him on many different issues except for his stance on free trade which I think has been very harmful to this country. He will be missed and there will never be another quite like him.Edited by: guest301

Solomon Kane

Mentor
I learned a lot from him--but then I learned a lot about him--his habit of betraying and belittling anyone who questioned his wisdom and the direction in which he was steering the conservative movement. It's too bad, as some have already said, he created and then destroyed the conservative movement. National Review was really a good read in the 70's and early 80's, and I'm told it was even better in the 60's (it opposed the civil rights movement and openly spoke of the superiority of white culture over black culture).

After NR fired Brimelow and O'Sullivan...I pretty much stopped reading it, and it very predictably became a poor man's imitation of the neo-con rag weekly standard.

Still, the man had his moments...and some memorable quotes, and he was a brilliant editor at least until around 1984. He cut something of a dashing figure--novelist, Yachtsman, skier, debater. Another plus is that he openly talked about God and Religion in our secularist milieu. I hope he repented of his betrayals, acts of arrogance, rudeness, and other sins. R.I.P.