Urban Yodeling on American Idol

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I usually watch very little television, and next to no "Sheeple-bait" reality TV (save for the Ultimate Fighter). However, every time I see a news flash or commercial for American Idol, all the wanna-be's on their are trying to sing R&B style. Why is it that urban yodeling is being pushed/accepted as the most impressive way to sing? That racket is far from singing! 95% of these contemporary (manufactured)pop and R&B "singers" like BeYOnce couldn't shine the shoes of real crooners like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis, Patsy Cline, Karen Carpenter, etc.Edited by: DixieDestroyer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
To further clarify...

Urban YOdeling = When a singer draws out or oscillates notes excessively (seems to have been started by the ilks of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, BeYOnce and Christina Aguilera) Especially when covering music written by others. And can be heard in karaoke bars.

Example - Besides drowning out the shrill Aaron Neville, Aretha Franklin destroyed the National Anthem with her urban yodeling.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Example - Besides drowning out the shrill Aaron Neville, Aretha Franklin destroyed the National Anthem with her urban yodeling.

smiley36.gif

smiley20.gif

But you can admit it, Dixie - you watch Idol!
smiley36.gif

It's okay, we can save this thread and visit here after every episode to compare notes.
smiley20.gif
smiley2.gif

Actuallu Whitney Houston is a second generation urban yodeler. Her aunt Dionne Warwick used to yodel a bit also.

Bronk

Mentor
Thank you, DD, for putting a fitting name onto a disturbing trend.

I'll be using Urban Yodeling from now on to describe that phenomenon.

By the way, I do watch The Office, Thursday nights, 7:30. Funny.

bigunreal

Mentor
Everyone else in my house watches "American Idol." From the many glimpses I've caught of it (half because I simply can't watch that kind of nonsense, and half because they kick me out quickly once I start my predictable commentary), it appears that well over half the contestants are black. I'm sorry, but that's just not believable. With all the white fans of this show, and with whites still vastly outnumbering blacks in the general population, you can't tell me that there aren't a whole lot more white contestants than black ones. Yet, on the show itself, every other face is black. I also have noticed the "urban yodeling" (great term!) To get anywhere on that show, the whites have to sing "black" or in a white mainstream country style. Even then, the blacks are treated quite differently than the white contestants. Simon seems to really relish the chance to blast any white singer, while he always holds back a bit on the black ones. I'll never forget, in the season when that ridiculous black Reuben Studdard won, Simon never said a word about his obesity, or about him not "looking like an American Idol," but there was a very talented white singer (may have been part hispanic) who was just a tad bit chunky, and he raked her over the coals, telling her she needed to lose weight if she wanted to look the part. Yeah, thanks to that kind of stuff being on in the background at home, I know way too much about these stupid shows.

foreverfree

Mentor
The only exposure I afford myself to AI is when I'm walking through the family room back from the kitchen to my room while my mother and stepdad have it on.

John

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Shogun, I honestly don't have the constitution to stomach that show. Not only do I hate most all "reality" TV, but I don't care for the music they sing on that show (or the way they sing it...urban YOdeling), etc. My favorite genres are usually traditional/old-school country, bluegrass, southern gospel and (in the gym or before I train BJJ) some metal (Iron Maiden, Dio, Pantera, etc.).

Bigunreal, good points about few whites on Idol. That's because Urban YOdeling is pushed as the correct/best way to sing, and I guess few whites can do it "well". Yet another example of the caste system in society at-large!

DixieDestroyer said:
My favorite genres are usually traditional/old-school country, bluegrass, southern gospel and (in the gym or before I train BJJ) some metal (Iron Maiden, Dio, Pantera, etc.).

Dio? you rock out to Dio?lolI'm sorry man, I don't mean to bust your chops, but "hair bands" are just too funny.And I wouldn't really classify "Rainbow in the Dark" as metal.Every time that video (or any video like it) comes on t.v. at like 3 a.m., I collapse into a fit of non-stop hysterical laughter for the entire duration of it. I do the same theing when I see the "Balls to the Wall" video from Accept. I don't know why, I guess its just because that video embodies everything stereotypically "hair band-ish" about that genre of music.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

"When there's lightning..."

Oh man, I'm rolling already.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Ground Fighter

White Mike

Guru
bigunreal said:
it appears that well over half the contestants are black.

Racial break down of last 24:
Whites - 7 men 7 women
blacks - 2 men 5 women
asians - 3 men
arabs - 1 man

whites have a 2 to 1 ratio over the blacks
smiley32.gif

Weltner

Guru
Bronk said:
Thank you, DD, for putting a fitting name onto a disturbing trend.

I'll be using Urban Yodeling from now on to describe that phenomenon.

By the way, I do watch The Office, Thursday nights, 7:30. Funny.

The technical term for this "singing",I believe,is "melisma"
smiley7.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I too was a captive viewer, having to share a house with those lower life forms (women and children) that find entertainment in the big league version of karoke.

What I noticed right away is that while there were not a LOT of blacks, every single one of them received effusive praise from the judges, even the especially snarky Simon. It was so predictable that I called it every time, to the amazement of my family. How they wondered, did I know which singers were due to get special praise? It's a simple formula one that my fellow CF's are also aware of.

Also, the constant sniping against white singers that they aren't "urban" enough for certain songs, as pointed out by the lone negro judge, smacks of outright racism. Imagine if blacks had to face criticicm that they weren't white enough to sing opera or act (for example).

The "jury" has an airhead bimbo, an ignorant black guy, and a rude ****, sounds like the Democratic Congressional leadership!
smiley36.gif
I guess that's what America looks like, which is why America is so ugly.

AI is a pop singer competition. I do nto like current pop music. The pop music scene is controlled by the major record lables at this time. Much like Pro Wrestling they can make any one a star regardless of talent or lack there of. I saw an awards show a few years ago. The musicians with chops tookk over and started jamming. Ms. Spears and Ms. Simpson were present . THey lected not to join the jam. Not even when the jammers were jammin on "Ops I did it again" and some other overly sweet pablum I am assuming it was one of Ms. Simpsons hits. These hot house flowers are studio only singers who use recorded music even in their live perfomances. The real stars on their recordings are the Studio Techs who can make anyone sound good.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
ToW, interesting that you pointed out the control the record companies have over the pop music scene. That's actually one of the aspects of AI that has stirred up some controversy. The winners are all forced to sign with record labels that are owned or managed by the show's creators and producers.

I haven't noticed the bias in judging that some of you have mentioned. The last male to make the cut to 24 this season was a heavyset white man who was chosen over a large black mulatto, who quite frankly sank better than the white guy who was selected. You can count on Paula Abdul to love everybody and titter over every young good looking guy that comes on the show. You can count on Simon Cowell to speak the blunt truth about a person's talent, and the black guy seems to be between the two.

It's quite interesting that the show has also had several voting controversies, and that not every winner was actually considered the best on the show. Ruben Studdard, who was mentioned earlier, beat out Clay Aiken who has had by far a more successful career since being on the show than has Studdard.

Last season, Chris Daughtery was head and shoulders above everyone else on the show; yet, he wasn't even in the final two. His early exit from the show actually caused a drop in ratings and spawned several news articles about the show. His album went to platinum faster than any previous idol contestant, but he couldn't even win the show?? LOL

BTW, my information about who's won what and how far they have gone in the industry since appearing on AI was gleaned from the wiki entry about the show. I watched some of last season and am watching this season, like most of you, with people in my household.
smiley2.gif

foreverfree

Mentor
I'm surprised Kelly Clarkson hasn't been brought up yet. I'm not impressed with her singing (although I like "Break Away", which I understand to have been cowritten by Avril Lavigne). OTOH "At a Moment Like This" does not impress me at all. IIRC it was the first song to reach Billboard's #1 spot one week after being outside the top 40 entirely. I believe the previous record holder for longest 1-week jump to #1 was the Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love". Which to me makes "AaMLT"'s achievement an even more bitter pill to swallow
smiley11.gif
, probably because I consider myself something of a Fab Four-ophile.

John

KG2422

Mentor
I watched one season of idol with my wife. I enjoyed it.
smiley9.gif
I no longer have cable though (the news was making me homicidal). I also have no cell phone. I'll be a survivalist in Northern Idaho before you know it.
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
KG2422 said:
I'll be a survivalist in Northern Idaho before you know it.
smiley36.gif

A lot of good that did the Randy Weaver family. Ain't nowhere left where a white man can live in peace in the home territory of the Glorious Multicultural Imperial Empire.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
But you can admit it, Dixie - you watch Idol!
smiley36.gif

I'll admit it, I watch it! Especially the auditions. It's a bit sadistic, but those terrible singers are pretty funny. I won't watch the rest of the show that closely, but I will check in to watch some of the white performers, and to see who gets eliminated.

JD074

Master
bigunreal said:
With all the white fans of this show, and with whites still vastly outnumbering blacks in the general population, you can't tell me that there aren't a whole lot more white contestants than black ones.

I wish there were more impressive white male singers. It seems like most of the white men are "quirky" or "characters." Even Taylor Hicks, who actually won, could be described that way. Maybe the best white male singers are rock and country singers who feel that this cheesy show is beneath him, or simply don't sing the R&B music that is so popular on American Idol. I dunno. But I like to see white men do well, even if it's some pointless endeavor like Karaoke singing.

JD074

Master
Ground Fighter said:
Dio? you rock out to Dio?lolI'm sorry man, I don't mean to bust your chops, but "hair bands" are just too funny.And I wouldn't really classify "Rainbow in the Dark" as metal.

Holy Diver is a great song, IMO.
smiley4.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Ground Fighter said:
Dio? you rock out to Dio?lolI'm sorry man, I don't mean to bust your chops, but "hair bands" are just too funny.And I wouldn't really classify "Rainbow in the Dark" as metal.

Holy Diver is a great song, IMO.
smiley4.gif

I agree. Love the song.

As for good white singers on AI, Chris Daughtery rocks. I admit it - I bought his album as soon as it came out.

urban yodeling!? I like it! I always wondered what to call the style where the singer holds a high note longer then needed. Blacks and wiggers like this style.

It always reminded me of a PDO Bach skit where two opera divas try to see how long they can hold a high not.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
DixieDestroyer said:
My favorite genres are usually traditional/old-school country, bluegrass, southern gospel and (in the gym or before I train BJJ) some metal (Iron Maiden, Dio, Pantera, etc.).

Dio? you rock out to Dio?lolI'm sorry man, I don't mean to bust your chops, but "hair bands" are just too funny.And I wouldn't really classify "Rainbow in the Dark" as metal.Every time that video (or any video like it) comes on t.v. at like 3 a.m., I collapse into a fit of non-stop hysterical laughter for the entire duration of it. I do the same theing when I see the "Balls to the Wall" video from Accept. I don't know why, I guess its just because that video embodies everything stereotypically "hair band-ish" about that genre of music.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

"When there's lightning..."

Oh man, I'm rolling already.
smiley36.gif

Damn straight I rock out to Dio & Maiden partner!
smiley2.gif
I still have a taste for some of the "mullet-metal" I listened to back in my schoolboy days. Actually, I usually only listen to metal on the way to/in the gym or the way to BJJ. Usually, I'm listening to talk radio or traditional country.