Unclaimed dead stack up in Wayne County morgue

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Detroit's such a messed up city that it presents a window into the coming darkness.

The whole concept of a once very large prosperous city declining into abandonment and destruction in such a short time is unprecedented in human history. There really is nothing like it. I sometimes drive the old neighborhoods of my youth (what's left of them) and marvel at the many crumbling structures and empty buildings that were once the sign of a busy metropolis.

For instance this story is fascinating in the images it provokes.

His corpse lies at the bottom of a pile of other bodies unclaimed at the Wayne County morgue. But Grandpa -- whose name has been withheld to avoid embarrassing his family -- is a special case. He has been in the cooler for the past two years as his kinfolk -- too broke to bury him -- wait for a ship to come in.

Peering into the small glass window of the cooler door, Schmidt counts 52 unclaimed bodies stacked like cordwood -- in some cases four to a shelf; always two to a gurney.

Any way you slice it, says Schmidt, the cramped cooler is a repository of the human condition. "How society treats its dead says volumes about the way society lives," he says. "Civilization requires intrinsically that we bury the dead. It distinguishes us from the rest of the animal kingdom."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20090806/METRO08/908060426#ixzz23U4WX3qk

white is right

Hall of Famer
Detroit's such a messed up city that it presents a window into the coming darkness.

The whole concept of a once very large prosperous city declining into abandonment and destruction in such a short time is unprecedented in human history. There really is nothing like it. I sometimes drive the old neighborhoods of my youth (what's left of them) and marvel at the many crumbling structures and empty buildings that were once the sign of a busy metropolis.

For instance this story is fascinating in the images it provokes.

His corpse lies at the bottom of a pile of other bodies unclaimed at the Wayne County morgue. But Grandpa -- whose name has been withheld to avoid embarrassing his family -- is a special case. He has been in the cooler for the past two years as his kinfolk -- too broke to bury him -- wait for a ship to come in.

Peering into the small glass window of the cooler door, Schmidt counts 52 unclaimed bodies stacked like cordwood -- in some cases four to a shelf; always two to a gurney.

Any way you slice it, says Schmidt, the cramped cooler is a repository of the human condition. "How society treats its dead says volumes about the way society lives," he says. "Civilization requires intrinsically that we bury the dead. It distinguishes us from the rest of the animal kingdom."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20090806/METRO08/908060426#ixzz23U4WX3qk

I don't think you have to bury the corpse, from what I have seen of these situations you have sign papers to acknowledge that person is your kin and their is an administrative fee for that. It's around 150 US, of course if you are on welfare or unemployment or have every penny spent before you cash your work cheque you won't even have this........

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Jax,

It's indeed sobering to see the once great Motor City fall into almost post-apocalyptic conditions. :eek:hwell:

The Hock

Master
I suspect a lot of the grim outlook and acerbic wit that always comes through in your posts stems from living where you come from Jaxvid (that and being a very smart hombre). I've known several people from the Detroit area and they all had a sort of tough edge and awareness about them, since they had to deal with the current population and they really know the score. What they remember of Detroit from their younger years and what they see today...

white is right

Hall of Famer
I just thought of this maybe it's a wayward relative that you don't want to claim? The brother who is the town drunk or junkie? You know the guy who only visits to ask for money or crash at your residence. Everybody has a relative like this.....