Ultimate Fight Night 9/19

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The main event features Kenny Florian (9-3) v Din Thomas (23-7). It appears a mismatch on paper, with the advantage going to the more experienced black fighter, Din Thomas. However, Florian went the distance against Sean Sherk, whom I believe is the best at lightweight, so I am expecting that he can do the same against Thomas, and hopefully submit him.

The next event on the card pits Chris Leben (16-4) v Terry Martin (18-2), a black knockout artist with 10 wins by T/KO. He has TKO wins over Ivan Salaverry and Jorge Rivera, and was beating James Irvin until Irvin KO'd Martin with a flying knee. Martin's only other loss was a TKO by Jason Lambert. This is another fight that I think the match makers are hoping is won by the more experienced black fighter.

Recent TUF champ Nate Diaz is also on the card, and Nate Quarry in his return to the octagon faces Pete Sell.

The rest of the fight card can be seen here.

For what it's worth, I'm picking:

Florian by submission
Martin by TKO
Diaz / Assuncao - pass
Quarry by TKO

G

Florian dominates Thomas. Martin brutally knocks out Leben in 2 minutes.

dkr77

Guru
I'll definitely go with Florian over Thomas. Florian has an excellent ground game and his stand-up skills look better every time out. Florian by second round TKO (Elbows to the negro's melon).

Leben, on the other hand, looks plodding with a face first lead style. I'll go with Martin but wouldn't be disappointed if Leben proved me wrong.

I'll pick Nate Diaz against whoever he's fighting. Diaz has a great ground game, very good stamina and a pecking striking style similar to his brother Nick.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow, did I underestimate Leben! He improved his technique, added weapons to his arsenal, and fought a smart fight. The best part though had to be Martin showboating, waving his hands at Leben telling him to come on - right before Leben KO'd him. Rogan must be a prophet, only moments before the KO he said Leben could really hurt Martin if he'd just plant his feet and throw hard. Martin hit Leben several times in the fight with hard punches straight to the jaw, and Leben never went down. But the ONE time Leben lands a hard punch with bad intentions, and BAM! Martin is out!
smiley36.gif

It was also quite enjoyable to see Thomas get choked out after his own bit of showboating. I'm not sure what he was trying to say with his little 'running away' routine, but whatever. It seemed to light a fire under Florian.

Quarry looked really slow and awkward, and at one point I thought he was KO'd almost as brutally as he was by Rich Franklin. But he popped up and kept going, and got the TKO himself with a hard shot to Sell's jaw. Sell went down but Quarry didn't jump on him. The ref motioned for him to continue and Quarry just nonchalantly moved Sell's legs out of the way and landed a hard, hard shot to his dome for a nasty KO.

Very entertaining night of *free* fights.

Leban looked like he finally figured it out. If he continues to progress he may actually reach his potential.

Quarry is just a guy, but he is a tough sob.

The Florian fight was great. The Black fighter displays textbook TNB and then gets his ass handed to him. Unfortunately he appeared to suffer a significant injury and will no doubt use it as an excuse (as will the UFC when they promote the eventual rematch).

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
2-0 in the caste matches. Very satisfying after the close Cro-Cop and Henderson losses last week.

Any thoughts on Lidell-Jardin fight? Chuck is getting old but I think he will pull it out and get one more shot at Rampage.

Gary

Mentor
Is Nate Quarry in anyway related to Jerry Quarry? Jerry had 3 brothers Mike,Jimmy and Bob.

Poacher

Mentor
Just watched the fights on DailyMO.

KenFlo was great. Leben has a great chin and appears to have calmed down a little. Nice job fellas!

guest301

Hall of Famer
Loved the Chris Leben fight. I was waiting for him all night to plant and throw a signifigant punch and he finally did after his "magic button" got punched by Martin. He looks in alot better shape and a completely different fighter. I hope he continues to improve and goes far. I Like Quarry and I hope he is truly back but I think age and injuries may keep him from being a top contender again. I hope I am wrong.Edited by: guest301