Ultimate Fight Night 3.

White_Savage

Mentor
It was an excellent night of action.

Unfortunately, they didn't show Josh Neer submitting Melvin Guillard.

Ludwig and Leben both won in impressive K.O. fashion. I don't like Leben all that much but had to back him against Rivera, on account of the White Savage's Theory of NHB Fighting(TM)*

He didn't disappoint, putting Rivera down with one of the shortest left hooks I've ever seen.

Bonner and Burkman both had impressive submission victories. Bonner is going to (big surprise!) rematch with Griffin. Burkman easily threw his opposition around and got the submission via guillotine choke. This guy is good, there is little doubt in my mind he would have fought Joe Stevenson to be the Ultimate Fighter if it weren't for the injury. Yeah, and he called out Diego Sanchez. I gotta say I honestly think Burkman will take him, and that's not just a "theory" projection.

Bonnar/Griffen II and Burkman/Sanchez ought to make the UFC a pretty stack of change to go with the fortune that's going to come from Liddell/Couture III.

Yeah, and they're matching Hughes up Royce Gracie! You heard that right. I don't give Royce good odds here, but it'll make the UFC money and look great on Hughes' record.

Sylvia decisioned Assuerio Silva in fairly good form, making the yet another goose-egg for "affletes" in MMA. I was dissapointed at the lack of knock-out or submission, but Silva avoided punching with the big man as much as possible. I have to say, I was almost hoping the judges would rob Big Tim, just so I could get to see Arlovski brutally k.o. ing Assuerio.

And so what that Sylvia is 6'8"? We got to see White HW boxers fighting negros who averaged larger and had the reach for decades, and no one said a thing about that.

Also see Franklin is going to fight Louisseau. Not too worried about this one. They both gave their common oppponent Evan Tanner a beating, only the ref let it go on longer in the Franklin fight. And Franklin never had Evan Tanner on his back within a hair of submitting him for half a round. Even if "razorbows" manages to cut Franklin, I feel like the officials will give a little leeway to Franklin on a #$!#%$@#$%#$%$ cut.

(*White Savage's Principle of Racial Dynamics in Realistic Fighting Competition-MMA ability is generally inversely proportional to melanin levels*). Edited by: White_Savage

dkr77

Guru
WS-Good review! I too think Hughes is a bad matchup for Royce Gracie. I also read where Spencer Fisher broke Aaron Rileys jaw in the first round and a doctor stopped the fight. Fisher must be the real deal. Burkman looked very impressive and I think he and Sanchez would make for an excellent fight. Who are you picking for Liddell / Couture III? I am leaning toward Couture
smiley2.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
I'm torn.

Liddell is a savage warrior. In a way, he's a great fighter for our race to have. He doesn't attempt to look like a body-builder. His unorthodox style that leans so heavily on his speed, strength, and raw power may need refinment from a technical sense, but the very primal nature of it is possibly better for refuting the idea that Whites are not "affletes" than if he was a highly technical submission artist.

Couture is a true great, and everyone's hero. He seems confident and in great shape. I think if he had started earlier, he might be the light-HW equal of Fedor in the MMA world.

But he's 42, and no ifs, ands, or buts, that's getting a little old for the fight game. I think Liddell will be at the top of his game for this one, and I got to give the edge to him. But a slender edge.

Ideally, if Chuck won, I'd love to see a rematch with "Rampage" Jackson. It bugs me that for some unknown reason (poor preparation? Voodoo curse?) the UFC champion showed up at a fight without his brain in gear and got beaten by a melanoid PRIDE-also ran. I mean, if Sak could tap the fool and Wanderlei could KO him twice, Liddell ought to be able to do it. But I know that stands almost no chance of happening.

As to Hughes vrs. Gracie, Royce ought to train to sprawl and brawl from now 'till the fight. That's his best chance. I was looking at him, and he has alot of reach on the quadrangle of muscle that is Matt Hughes-he could give him trouble if he kept it on the feet. Then again, no one's ever been able to do that with Hughes, and Gracies pride will probably make him want to tap Hughes on the ground with the family tradition.Edited by: White_Savage

JD074

Master
I hate it when the main event isn't quite as good as the previous fights. The first round was good, I loved seeing that guy stumbling around, but the last two rounds were Snoresville. But sometimes you have to win ugly- just ask Winky Wright or Bernard Hopkins- especially when your opponent is very cautious.

Overall it was a good night. I missed the Franklin/ Loiseau announcement, that's a huge fight. Burkman/ Sanchez is big, too. I didn't like the way Burkman reacted after he won, doing the throat slash and yapping to Dana White about how ready he is. He should be a little classier.

G

The supposed historic announcment wasn't as big as they made it out to be. I mean, it is big, just not like they made it out to be. Its a big fight, but Hughes will dominate. Royce is a legend and all, but Hughes is in his prime, way too strong, and will absolutley dominate Royce, IMO.

It was a solid card, not as good as the last one, but still solid. The highlight of the night for me (not including the Gracie-Hughes fight announment) was Bonnar beating Irvin with that kimura, that thing was sunk in deep. Lowlight was watching Burkman beat Fickett.

Here is a picture of Neer beating Melvin via Triangle Choke. It looks like he took a few shots, but he hung in there and won.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
From the amount of blood on his face, its surprising they didn't stop the fight. Must not have been on or around the eye.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I was hoping they would show the josh- melvin fight and they didn't. Thanks for the post and picture. I think Sanchez will ground and pound burkman into oblivion, I hope so anyway because I don't like burkman's classless demeanor.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I believe it's this May.I don't see it being much of a fight unless gracie wears his jujitsu outfit to the ring and uses it to win his fights like he did in the early ufc competitions. I think hughes will overcome even that.

dkr77

Guru
I have met Royce Gracie a couple of times (once promoted to blue by him) and was suprised how tall he was. I can't imagine Gracie making 170. I also don't care for the way many of the Gracie's stick their chin out when they square off with an opponent. That's inviting disaster! I also think Gracie's best chance is to catch Hughes in a submission, possibly triangle.

guest301

Hall of Famer
That's his only chance dkr77...I hope they have a co-superfight on that card because that one may be quick and embarrassing for the ufc.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
dkr77 said:
I have met Royce Gracie a couple of times (once promoted to blue by him) and was suprised how tall he was. I can't imagine Gracie making 170. I also don't care for the way many of the Gracie's stick their chin out when they square off with an opponent. That's inviting disaster! I also think Gracie's best chance is to catch Hughes in a submission, possibly triangle.

His normal weight is 176 lbs. I'd think he could lose six lbs fairly easily. Have they even agreed on a fighting weight?

dkr77

Guru
I was thinking Royce fought at 185. Perhaps I was mistaken. If he walks around at 175 I would be suprised because he looks MUCH larger than that.

G

White Shogun said:
From the amount of blood on his face, its surprising they didn't stop the fight. Must not have been on or around the eye.

From what I read the fight probablly would have been stopped, but the submission came at a good time for Neer.

Does anyone know what weight Royce was actually fighting at during his
UFC heyday? He was listed at 175 on the broadcasts, but I met him in
person at the time, and he had to have been tipping the scales at 190 or
so - and he was in shape. He was not fighting at 175, that is for certain.

I've seen the stuff at Sherdog, and I remember when the UFC first hit he
was listed around 175. But I work working on a video for a Brazilian band
and it featured the Gracies and some other NHB guys and some actors.
Royce was close to, if not, 200 lbs. This surprised me after just seeing
him touted as being 175. He was almost the same size I was at the time.

White_Savage

Mentor
panzer said:
Here is a picture of Neer beating Melvin via Triangle Choke. It looks like he took a few shots, but he hung in there and won.

I saw this fight on Unleashed. Surprise, surprise, Melvin was not run-away dominating Neer until the triangle, as wiggerish fan boys on PC MMA forums alledged.

In the pre-fight interview, Neer, who is taller, lean, rangy, and muscular, said he thought his strength and endurance were a little better than Guillards. Guillard, who is one ugly mofo, even for a negro, was incredulous. "He don't LOOK (emphasis mine) afflatetic at all...he can't be anywhere near as strong as me."

In the stand-up, Neer blocked every single punch Melvin threw, and the only clean punch I saw landed was Neer's counter-right. He is to be criticized for not letting his hands go more. Guillard landed one good kick, that didn't appear to slow Neer down abit. They traded takedowns and escapes several times. At one point, Neer pretty much just bent over at the waist, grabbed Melvin's legs, casually hoised him onto his shoulder and power-slammed him. Thus Melvin learned the valuable lesson that looking "afflatic" or like a bodybuilder doesn't have a damned thing to do with strength.

At one point while he was on top, Guillard landed a single elbow that put a nasty cut on Neer's brow. It was nasty, but it was from a single technique, not a supremely dominant ground and pound. Elbows=cuts and it could have happened to anybody.

And then of course, Neer caught Guillard in a DEEP triangle that caused him to tap out instantaneously. If Neer hand't got the submission, I might have given the round to Guillard, but Neer wasn't getting dominated and his win is no fluke.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Savage, you must have been visiting the forums at MMA.tv. There was a thread going in which the thread starter declared that guys like Melvin will soon dominate MMA, once the sport spreads to the ghettos. His posts were full of the usual stereotypical nonsense that blacks are stronger, more athletic, etc. And yes, btw, he was a definite fan of Gullard's which is what started the whole thread.

I saw the Neer - Guillard fight as well, and I agree with your assessment. I don't think it was dominated by either man.

White_Savage

Mentor
I only read Sherdog. From what you've said about MMAtv, they don't let the Black supremacists get as rabid as with other sites, but it still gets pretty bad.

White_Savage

Mentor
Well Nick Diaz just beat Josh Neer.

Guillard couldn't hit Neer, Diaz hit him practically at will.

Guillard was taken down and powerslammed by Neer. Neer conldn't take down Diaz. Diaz took him down rather.

Guillard couldn't GnP nor force Neer to tap. Instead he got tapped. Nick Diaz tapped Neer with a Kimura and made it look easy.

Tell me again...

WTF are we worshipping Melvin as God on MMA forums?!?!?</font>