UGA WR Kris Durham

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's a good article on UGA WR Kris Durham, who was out most of last season with an injury. I expect he'll be the #2 WR behind "Dawg Nation" DWF favorite AJ Green.

He's teaching 8th grade â€" and playing football for the Dogs

12:45 pm March 25, 2010, by Tim Tucker

ATHENS â€" One Georgia football player comes to spring practice directly from his eighth-grade classroom.

Wide receiver Kris Durham is an education major who's doing his student-teaching this semester at nearby Oconee County Middle School.

He will graduate from UGA in May and begin work on his Masters degree this summer, but he has one season of football eligibility remaining because he sat out last season after shoulder surgery. So this spring he is rushing between his Georgia History classroom and football practices.

"He comes in all dressed up, late for the meetings,"Â freshman receiver Marlon Brown said fondly.

Durham, who is at the middle school from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. each day, said he tries to compartmentalize his two roles, although he admits his students identified him as a Georgia football player "after about the first 20 minutes."Â

"I had to get that out of the way real quick and make sure they saw me as not just a football player, but [saw] that I'm here to help you guys learn,"Â he said.

One thing Durham has learned in the classroom this semester: "I used to think I was getting away with a lot of stuff, but teachers do see it. You don't get away with as much as you think you do."Â

Durham plans a career as a teacher and coach, but first the 6-foot-5 receiver from Calhoun hopes to end his UGA football career on an upswing.

He caught 32 passes for 450 yards from 2006 through 2008 and was redshirted in 2009, which otherwise would have been his final season, because of a torn labrum in his left shoulder. His return should bolster a wide-receiver group that is thin in terms of quantity.

"So far so good,"Â Durham said of his comeback. "I'm taking it in strides, trying to work my way back into condition and just getting used to the speed of the game and strength of the game after being out for a year."Â

As for the shoulder, Durham said: "It's fine. . . . I've rehabbed it, done everything I was supposed to do. Now I've just got to let it go."Â He seemed relieved to report that he fell on it at practice last Thursday without incident. Later, speaking of that same practice, coach Mark Richt said: "Durham had a big day catching the ball, made some tough catches."Â

Durham's student-teaching role extends to the team, where younger receivers say they respect his experience and knowledge. Of course, they also take friendly jabs.

"If something happens and he says, ‘Well, I remember when I was a freshman . . .,' we're, like, ‘All right, Kris, we already know you've been here seven years," Brown said.

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/03/25/hes-teaching-8th-grade-history-and-playing-football-for-the-dogs/
Edited by: DixieDestroyer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Durham tore it up in practice/scrimmage this week!
smiley4.gif

***Excerpt from AJC

A.J. Green said he was the "second best"Â￾ receiver behind Kris Durham, who caught three touchdown passes. Green had six catches for 80 yards, Durham four for 74.

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/04/03/richt-promises-qb-depth-chart-at-end-of-spring/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
When I saw the word "tore" -- my heart dropped... I thought you were writing that he had hurt his knee.
smiley9.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
My bad DL, chalk that'un up to my "Southern-fried" lingo.
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great job, dwid! I especially like the way it ends with O'Leary getting upset.
smiley36.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Durham looks much more athletic and DECISIVE compared to say.. a Derek Moye.

I bring him up because he's likely going to receive "better treatment" from the NFL than (SEC STUD) Durham, and he has never looked like an "elite talent".. questionable route-running for one thing.
Edited by: Deadlift

dwid

Hall of Famer
thanks Colonel Reb, glad you liked it. Yeah unfortunately they lost that game because they ignored Durham for the most part, finally utilizing his talent on 4th down and the game on the line. If Murray didn't overthrow it by a mile the next play, Durham could have scored. Instead most of the game Murray forced the ball to Green with 12 targets and he averaged an impressive 9.6 yards per catch compared to Durhams 15.7. I tried to add in the looks of each defensive back's face after he beat them as well heh.

Unfortunately Durham is just too good to get fair treatment by the NFL. He has the tools (size/speed etc) to be a prototypical number 1 receiver for a team like Riley Cooper and Jordy Nelson, and is too skinny to bulk up to tight end. This probably means some team will put him as a number 4 receiver starting off. If he were a smaller prototypical slot guy he might have a better shot. The NFL doesn't want dwfs to think there are big fast White guys out there just like Randy Moss etc. Hopefully this year is different though. I will try to remain optimistic. There is hope, Nelson was used more this year and had 582 receiving yards.